• Super Hero Member
Re: Touché
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
 >biggergrin< >thumbsup<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »
Parking 'fines' are an issue for me, but in the opposite direction from what many newspapers/media outlets stir up their readers to agree to.  Here's what I'm on about.

Tesbury's opens a supermarket with a car park.  They charge for parking.  People start overstaying, mainly so they can park there whilst shopping or whatever elsewhere.  Tesbury's has a clear pricing structure for parking and bill customers for the overstays.  The customers are encouraged to see those as unlawful fines or similar.

Tesbury's sell bread in their shops.  They expect people to pay for the bread.  If you leave without paying for the bread you take, the security guard will stop you and either they'll call the police or they'll take civil action, alone or with other shops, for compensation and/or a banning order.

From their perspective, when people park in their car park, they're hiring space, they're buying the use of that space, and not paying for it is no different from taking bread and not paying for it.  But do they care about honesty in the abstract?  No, what they care about isn't morals, it's loss of profit, and just as if you take bread without paying for it, it dents the profit from their shop, if you use a parking space wtihout paying for it, it dents the profit from their car park.

So more and more supermarkets build new shops, particularly smaller shops, with as little parking space as they can get away with, because it's easier to stop people taking bread without paying for it than taking the use of land  without paying for it.

So then those same moaning minnies that want to hire a parking space and not pay for it - which I regard as no less dishonest than taking bread and not paying for it - are not happy that the people from the new shops are parking where they want to park, taking all the spaces on the high street or parking outside schools or houses or wherever.

And I get annoyed about it because all too often it means cars parked antisocially and amongst the big swarm of bees in my bonnet is one about pavement obstructions.

But imagine if that same MP had said he'd been charged evening rates for a cup of coffee instead of day rates and refused to pay the extra, who would have sympathised?

Still, he's only on seventy something grand a year, so fifty quid or so is a tragically high price to pay for using a piece of land that is hired out for parking purposes at the going rate.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
 >thumbsup< good food for thought.

Also

Still, he's only on seventy something grand a year, so fifty quid or so is a tragically high price to pay for using a piece of land that is hired out for parking purposes at the going rate.

The way he treated about it being a genuine mistake makes me think he is worried about how the parking fine makes him look.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »
Well I hope it's dented his image in more ways than one.

I'd like to see more politicians' images tarnished.  If they're going to be hypocrites and callous, at least let them be exposed for it.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
I'd like to see more politicians' images tarnished.

Most politicians already have tarnished images, just by becoming politicians! 

But I digress, if you have paid for one hour in the car park, you have paid for one hour, not 70 minutes, not two hours! How many Blue Badge holders, like myself, use a blue badge space for the full time allowed?  We are, on the whole, back at our cars before time as we can't stand any longer than we have to!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel