Author Topic: The Chit Chat thread of maybe randomnessand dropping by.  (Read 66996 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Chit Chat thread of maybe randomnessand dropping by.
« Reply #555 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:17 AM »
nice to hear that  other people do it ,  my daughter in law said, that  this is not a way to  raise children, she thinks I am a childish and na´ve person, but  why grow   up to a miserable person. this I leave to  others like her and my parents. I want to enjoy my life and laugh with my children. I remember  my  grandmothers how the  took their difficult life with a smile and optimism and a lot of  fun.

Well said huhn!  >thumbsup<

My parents both came from fairly straitened backgrounds, so for them when they were growing up, a trip to the seaside or mountains was an enormous treat to be enjoyed to the full no matter the weather. I think that's why as a family we'd go swimming or climbing even if it was pelting down. It does help foster an attitude of making the best out of a situation.

Speaking of treats, on Saturday I had a lovely morning out in the park with my handtrike. Well, it was lovely until I managed to get stuck at the bottom of a deep, muddy ditch, and had to be rescued by some nice people from the Parks Department.  >blush<

Still, I did manage to thank everyone and get myself safely into the toilet block before the inevitable panicky meltdown hit, so that's something to be pleased about!

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #556 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
 >bighugs< well done NN.

It will be good to get out and about as summer turns to autumn and we get the trees changing colour. It make swinter arriving less of a shock.

We have not been able to take our dogs to the woods (actually the grounds of where a big manor house used to be) because it gets crowded with summer people, children, dogs and picnics, all incompatible with our dogs being off the lead. Off season only hardy dog walkers go there and they dont panic when they see a big dog off the lead. Btw I have no problem with others being protective of their dogs it is just why take them somewhere that is know for free running big dogs.

>confusedgif<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #557 on: August 05, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »
Some posts have been a bit down beat recently so I thought a couple of lighter items might be welcome. I think that always helps however discomforted one might be.

Recently our local authority has taken to sowing wild flower mixes along some road margins. I think they are delightful. Most consist of field poppies, cornflowers, dwarf ox-eye daisies and Californian poppies, very colourful.

In the past couple of days I've noticed some variations. One on the way to Bournemouth the margin contains not only the wild flowers as above but also is basked up by sunflowers. A whole host of their sunny heads really lifted my heart.

Also, as variation our local council has sown a patch on a nearby roundabout consisting of pale pink poppies and ox-eye daisies. Very effective reminds me of the two colour ice cream bricks I had a child.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #558 on: August 05, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Continuing the cheery theme, my local town, Poole, is lucky enough to have retained its bus station, an increasingly rare breed. Its quite big, but a bit drab. One feature is a row of concrete columns supporting the canopy, not particular architectural delights.

However, recently they have been painted alternately in spiral three colour stripes and pale pink. It wasn't until I noticed a small picture on the pink ones that I realised they are intended to look like sticks of rock. They're quite fun and brighten the place. I reckon a cheap but effective makeover.

Has anyone brightened your areas by adding a touch of colour?

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #559 on: August 07, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
The council/Department for Infrastructure (or whatever they're calling it today) has done similar things with wildflowers in the local park, and along the edges of some roads. According to housemates, they've also decorated railings here and there with cheery flower boxes. So far they haven't been vandalised.

This is quite an urban area, and houses either front directly on to the street, or have a small curtain of ground at the front. Only two streets have gardens at the back. Some people have done lovely things with window boxes and tubs, creating little puddles of colour among the red brick.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #560 on: August 07, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
Oldtone,

I love seeing wildflower mixes on the grass verges etc. It is marvellous that the council added sunflowers. The bus station rock columns sound cheerful.

Has anyone brightened your areas by adding a touch of colour?

I have not been out enough to notice anything new. There are a lot of cycle ways around here including the Nutbrook trail which now has a cafe with toilets a couple of miles out so no more peeing in bushes.