Author Topic: Weather  (Read 48572 times)

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
Weather
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
How is everyone doing with the weather? Grey but calm here at the moment, but I had an early start because my mum was due to be travelling Yorkshire to London this afternoon and they've cancelled many of the trains. So we were at the station at 7am getting her on an early train so she'd be sure to get back!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:57:25 PM by SunshineMeadows »

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
It is currently not safe to go outside where I live.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
Very windy and raining here.  Really horrible.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Grey sky rain but not very windy here.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
Wind and rain in abundance at the moment, but the big storm isn't due to hit here until tomorrow.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
Wind has now picked up somewhat.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
I do apologise for the amount of wind, but after her colonectomy it's not her fault she's so flatulent (Farty)!!!  >biggergrin<
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »
That is not funny.

I have a colostomy and do not appreciate jokes being made about it colon surgery - it is in fact discriminatory. 

Particularly as it is not *you* who has a colostomy/colonectomy.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »
Yvette  >hugs<

The big storm is due to hit overnight. If the forecast is to be believed, the winds could be gusting as high as 90mph, so I've got all my power-cut stuff at the ready, charged my mobile, and plugged the analogue phone in.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
I was supposed to go to a party tonight.  Having been so unwell lately it had taken me several days to decide I would go for a short time at least.  Of course I had to cry off because of the truly awful weather.  There are trees down all over the place and you can never guarantee that the Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferry won't be shut and cancelled respectively.

If both are out of action it's something like a fifty mile detour.

devine63

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 12:41:02 AM »
Here in Hampshire we've had high winds and stinging rain pretty much all day, I haven't noticed any let up at all - and that's really unusual.  I hope it will blow itself out on Christmas eve and we'll have a peaceful Christmas Day.
regards, Deb
regards, Deb

[devine63]

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »
Ooh-err, it's starting to get brave and breezy out there.

I hope that all Ouchers and their families have a safe couple of days, free from floods or power outages.  >bighugs<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
It was very wet and stormy last night and I forgot to put the fan heater on the the corner of the bedroom so woke up in the night with TN. The house is a terraced but it is deeper than the houses either side and so the gable ends that jut out get really cold including my side of the bed.

It is blue skies and sunny this morning so I am hopeful for later.

>bighugs< to all and I hope you have food in, light and heat. For those with laptops get them charged up and maybe download some programs from BBC Iplayer so you can at least have something if the power goes off.

We are fairly safe here in the Midlands and I am so glad we got a new roof on the house a few years back.

Turtle,
I know you meant no harm but I do agree with Yvette, you are not posting about your own disabilities but someone elses. There are more personal things we can say to each other face to face in our homes but online it is harder to see the context.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Well, we're still here - it's been pretty wet and wild windy for the last few days, and there's more to come, but so far no flooding or power cuts in this part of the world. I hope it's been the same for the rest of you. Heard on the 25th that around 150, 000 people 'across the water' were left without electricity by the storms, and that some of them might not be able to get re-connected for about a week.  :-(

What do you guys have by way of back-up plans in the event of a power/water cut? Here's a list of the preparations I make.

Medications - as soon as a severe weather warning is issued, I phone the pharmacy to make sure that they'll still be able to deliver my meds as usual. If not, I arrange for someone to collect them for me in advance.

Top-ups and charging - I get everything charged/topped up as soon as possible. Scooter, laptop, mobile phone, rechargable batteries/lamps etc.

Mum and vulnerable neighbours - make sure they have contingency plans, cars filled up etc. Note any new numbers and arrange times for contact. 

Food and bottled water - tins, dried foods and water in case the mains supply is cut off. 2 litres per person per day for hydration and cooking, for at least 3 days, and a litre extra per day for hand washing. We stash some mains water in the bathroom for flushing and washing, and a supply for the cat.  Extra supplies of wet cat food will help to extent this.   

Bleach, disinfectant, wipes - loads of these. If the water goes off, it's good to be able to keep things clean. I also get some extra commode liners,  sterile disposal sacks and heavy-duty black bin bags, in case all else fails. Plenty of cat litter in case the weather is so grim George can't get out of the house (for example, if the ground is frozen or saturated, it's difficult for a cat to use their customary 'fresh air' toilet territories).

Stove, light, radio -   I have an MSR Pocket Rocket rapid-boiling stove ( relic from my rufty-tufty outdoor days), and get in an extra large cannister for it. The Coleman F1 Lite is a good 'cheap and cheerful' alternative to this - Coleman propane/butane cannisters will power both. If you can't use an 'upright' style stove, Argos do some good, reliable 'ring' style stoves. I also have 2 dynamo powered lights - one a torch, and one and lantern which can be charged in advance then 'topped-up' with the dynamo hand-crank. A dynamo powered radio is also a good thing to have - they never run out of power and it's good to be able to listen to the local news.

The rest - matches, candles, phone numbers for water, power companies, council emergency lines.

When we had the 'big freeze' here back in 2009-2010 all of this came in pretty useful. Hopefully, no-one will need to use it, but it's good to have, just in case.  :-)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »
Oh Gosh NN.  I am lucky to live in an area that is not liable to floods or subsidence or anything like that.  But I still keep candles and matches handy and a full store cupboard.