Author Topic: Faithful friend thread by Darrowsgirl  (Read 251285 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Faithful friend thread by Darrowsgirl
« Reply #2670 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
She's a Golden Retriever.

Tah  >thumbsup< they are lovely  >dog-<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2671 on: August 06, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
As expected dd has taken it badly. She's very upset about the cats going despite her not living here. In the end I'm totally worn down emotionally by her upset and I've said I will keep them. Not sure how I will manage if a vet is needed. I'm feeling very low and tearful, not because of the cats per se but because I can never cope with dd's upset. The joys of having an autistic child who can't cope with change. I feel like the pits really. She'll have shared my decision to rehome them with her siblings including the eldest who has written me out of his life (she's staying with my younger son this weekend) and it's left me feeling hopeless and helpless. She wanted to take them to stop them being rehomed but she cries on the phone to me every week about how she has no money and can't afford to keep mending her old car to keep it going and how she has no money. When I pointed this out I was trying to stop her having them.  >crying<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2672 on: August 06, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
 >bighugs<

Is it possible that once dd has shared the information with her siblings, one of them might step up and offer to look after the cats for her?

Failing that, are there any other pet charities local to you that you could ring for advice?

Really wish I had more or better advice to offer.  >bighugs<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2673 on: August 07, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
 >bighugs<

If DD's siblings have jobs and money they should be clubbing together to get pet insurance for the cats, after all you are letting them live in your home and feeding them. Try not to let this define your self worth, something outside your control changed.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2674 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »
Not a great day...
My neighbour has been in hospital for over 2 weeks; a friend of his has been feeding his dog & I've been taking it out for walks. 
Apparently my neighbour's mum was admitted to another ward a few days ago and is very poorly; neighbour's siblings have been visiting her too, clearly expecting the worst, and soon. >erm<

This morning when I went in dog was laid out, breathing fast/ low & unable to get up.  I went to the vet (very close, luckily) & they gave me number for a  "pet-taxi" to get dog there as much too heavy to carry alone. >need a stretcher< Turns out dog has a very high temperature & needs urgent treatment, so now I have the dilemma of telling dog's owner (I'm sure he'd come home immediately against medical advice, doctors want to keep him for another week at least) or hiding the fact that dog's ill too.  :-(
Dog's not registered with that vet (that's fine, I will pay any bills) & I can't ask my neighbour if registered elsewhere without alerting him that something's wrong - means the vet has no access to veterinary history for dog. 
I spoke to a member of staff at the vet's this evening, apparently dog's temperature is down a bit & dog's actually been walking about the yard - so I still haven't told dog's human (nothing he could do of course, dog's at vet's, not home) and I'm still really worried about dog. >erm<

When I was sitting with dog at vet's earlier, I should have been on my way to a human's funeral... but dog's need seemed more immediate.  Dog's known me since it was young & I couldn't leave until I at least had some idea what was happening.   >dog<
Feels most peculiar now not getting ready to let dog out for evening wee, etc.  :-( 

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2675 on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
You are right not to tell dogs human.  Better tell them just before human comes home so they can be prepared.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2676 on: August 24, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
The dog is in the best place. With its temperature down already and it's walking, it sounds like good improvements have been made. Let's hope by the time human is home, dog is also home. You're incredibly kind footing the bill, it will be extortionate with inpatient stay  >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2677 on: August 24, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »
 >bighugs<

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2678 on: August 24, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »
Thanks, all of you. >hugs< >hugs< >hugs<
Seems not much has happened since late afternoon yesterday, vet will keep dog until at least tomorrow. 
Walking is  no doubt true, but dog was "walked" into the vet's yesterday - with assistance from a couple of humans who are well-practiced in moving animals (similar to way the pet-taxi woman & myself got to the car, half-carrying with aid of a blanket).  I believe help's still needed to get up. 
I did actually speak to neighbour yesterday as he asked me to check credit on his household power-meters - so I did that, asked about him & his mum but didn't mention the dog.  Seems neighbour's been told he's unlikely to be home before the middle of next week at earliest.  Person who's been feeding dog also thinks it's best not to tell neighbour just yet. 
I don't mind paying to keep dog safe, Fiz.  I've known the animal for years, one of the least aggressive dogs you could imagine (just as well, at that size!).  I don't have the expertise to care for a sick dog & I've been left in charge, so I decide whether/ where treatment is given.  If I didn't have any money, I'd have to get some other place to look after dog, but as I have some the closest vet seems the best idea - I really wouldn't want neighbour coming home to find dog was in a PDSA or RSPCA hospital miles away. 

I hope the spouse of the human whose funeral I didn't go to yesterday isn't offended, but it seemed more important to pay attention to the living animal that was ill & in need of help. 

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2679 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
Oh Seegee, what an unfortunate sequence of events for you to have to deal with when you are helping someone out -you've done all you could sensibly do, so  >x-fingers< the dog is OK in the end after all that..  Your neighbour is very lucky to have you!

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2680 on: August 25, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
Oh Seegee, what an unfortunate sequence of events for you to have to deal with when you are helping someone out -you've done all you could sensibly do, so  >x-fingers< the dog is OK in the end after all that..  Your neighbour is very lucky to have you!

>thumbsup<

Seegee  >bighugs<

I hope the spouse of the human whose funeral I didn't go to yesterday isn't offended, but it seemed more important to pay attention to the living animal that was ill & in need of help. 

Hopefully you were able to tell them about the emergency, if not maybe send a card with a short note to explain.I only suggest this because grief affects people in so many different ways including even the nicest people sometimes behaving out of character.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2681 on: August 26, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »
Well, the owner's mum died on Thursday morning - so, partly because I really couldn't keep it secret if owner's phoning me (and of course vet theoretically needs owner's permission to treat dog, though they've been accepting me as stand-in) & partly as I couldn't make the day worse, I went to the hospital that evening.  Took the post & told about dog. :-(  We've obviously spoken on the phone a few times since then.  Owner's apparently now been given permission to take 4 hours accompanied (probably to ensure not doing anything too demanding and gets back safely) time out of the hospital & cousin will bring owner home (and to vet's of course). 

The vet is concerned that, as the dog is neither eating nor moving himself around (still needs lifting), he may get pressure sores.  Owner remains convinced that dog's just fretting & will be fine, though I did point out that it's not possible to fret into a high fever. >erm<  Dog remains on a drip to keep fluids up, is on medication to reduce fever and can't stand unassisted; when lifted is still tending to put front paws under & rest on ?knuckles/ wrists?.  I've known this dog for years. >crying<

As for the funeral, the deceased man's wife sent a lovely e-mail saying that she understood very well and, knowing how much he had loved animals, he'd have wanted me looking after dog rather than at the funeral.   

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2682 on: August 26, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »
 >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

A few months back Megs my collie went off her legs and we thought it was the end of the line, then the vet upped her painkillers, put her on Gabepentin and also a medication to help her neurologically. Yesterday she was running up the garden shepereding her big ball. I am not trying to say all the neighbour's dog needs is some medication but if the vet is anything like our vet they try not to suggest treatment that costs more than a owner can pay eg if they dont have pet insurance. Maybe once the vet talks to the owner that aspect if it exists will be cleared up.

You have done such a good job of sorting out the neighbours dog, and deciding when to tell him ect. I am glad you got a lovely email from the deceased man's wife.

>hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2683 on: August 26, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
As for the funeral, the deceased man's wife sent a lovely e-mail saying that she understood very well and, knowing how much he had loved animals, he'd have wanted me looking after dog rather than at the funeral.   

>bighugs<

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2684 on: August 27, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
I visited vet's yesterday & dog actually sat up trying to come to me - still can't stand but the tubes have gone, drinking unassisted & being "hand-fed" (I assume that means spoon-fed).  Much brighter expression & certainly couldn't have sat up a few days ago; could barely lift head off floor.  Front paws properly on the floor yesterday too, so that's better than Friday.  Much more hopeful.  >yellow-star< >dog< 
Owner's just been dropped off home for a while by a cousin, to get some washing done (it's 2 weeks since I took a few clothes & toothpaste, etc. in) & collect any other stuff that's needed - can't visit dog unfortunately, as they're on minimal staff to keep animals fed, watered & toileted on Sundays/ Bank Hols (duty vet on-call for emergencies of course).