Author Topic: The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer  (Read 18086 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
On the recording device thing - I know others who've recorded assessments, and you can do it so long as it's all arranged in advance.  The alternative would be to take a palantypist (which they cannot refuse under EU law) which would probably actually be more stressful for the assessor than a recording.

As to which equipment, I'm only going on the basis of what they've agreed to others using.  By using a particular brand and model of equipment, it saves them researching whether it meets their requirements, and they're rechargeable.

But obviously, the alternative is to insist that they provide the equipment.

I'm also planning to take a friend with me.  It's currently a choice between two lawyers and a judge.  It just depends which friend can fit me in.

As regards additional info, it ran to about 120 pages, including both evidence and explanation.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »
Sunny, 3 weeks isn't really that long in relation to PIP claims - DLA used to take about 7 - 12 weeks, if I recall right.  It is the horrible part though, waiting and wondering, as if completing the wretched form ain't bad enough  >hugs<

Neurochick, your award sounds fantabulous, especially not having to be reassessed for ten years - the 'reinforcement of how disabled you are' effect does pass off quite quickly as the relief (of not having to tussle with the DWP) sets in, I assure you  >thumbsup<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
I don't mind the wait too much if it also puts off any assessment.  I'm just stressed out so finding it difficult to get things in perspective.  Anyway, a whole load of successes on here is encouraging me, so that even if I don't get it, I shall feel it's worth appealing.

Time-wise it's difficult, because I'm sorting out certain practicalities following a bereavement and also waiting on an oncology referral (possible oral cancer).  It says how life feels for me at the moment that when I realised I might have cancer, my thought wasn't "Oh no, I might die!" but "Oh no, how will I fit in all those investigative and treatment appointments, and I haven't made a new will yet!"

Oh you lovely, lovely Ouchers with all the encouraging positive feedback about your benefits results to encourage the rest of us!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2017, 09:06:29 PM »
Really pleased for you Neuro!   >bubbly< >bubbly<  (that's a glass each, I'm toasting your success)

Sunny, I'm a bit awe inspired by your high up friends. I have 2 friends and they're both unqualified care assistants. I need to mix in different circles. Or any circle would help. As would leaving the house! Hugs to you though, such a stressful time  >hugs<

Monic1511

« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
Hi Sunny
if you sent 120 pages of evidence I would put your application to the back of the pile cos I'd need a clear head to even consider looking at it. And I'm not an assessor, I only have to read appeal papers and the thicker the papers the more often I put off looking at them, I just cant face them along with the 10 other things I have to do at the same time.

It will take them 6 - 12 weeks to look at your case, decided if you need an assessment before they pass the info to the dwp who can take another 18 weeks to make a decision so 3 weeks will only have got your papers added to a workers in tray.

As for recording, the others are correct that you need to notify them in advance that you want the assessment recorded to allow them to set it up,  I would just take your pal with you and introduce them as "retired Judge/QC whomever, who is here to make sure I know what happens today as I have a very poor memory"

Easy for me but try not to stress about PIP when you have lots of other things to be concerned about.
Monic

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »
Thank you for the reassurance.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2017, 10:00:29 PM »
Thank you all for the congratulations. It is somewhat bizarre that we are all so pleased about being found to be more disabled than we thought we were!!  Its a huge relief. 

On the upside Sunny, when I went to my appointment the assessor was at pains to ensure that I could see his screen the whole time to make sure that I could see the wording of all of the questions and could see everything that he typed into the boxes on the screen as we went along.  The questions on the on-screen form are pretty much the same as the ones you have answered on the form.  As I had provided a clear printed document with my detailed answers to each question, he told me that he already had my answers to the questions but we still had to go through the formality of the process.  As it turned out, he typed very little into the form because he would just have been repeating everything I had already provided in my document - we'd have been there for hours for no additional information!   In reality all he was doing was going through the motions and I suspect checking that what I said on the day was consistent with what I'd written.  If I had been unhappy with anything he wrote down I was able to raise that there and then.  My document with my answers and explanations was a mere 8 or so printed pages.  The assessor had read all of document immediately before the assessment.  In my case he told me at the end that he didn't need to see me physically move or demonstrate what I could/couldn't do.   

I suspect the efforts to try and show people what is being written as the interview goes along is a policy decision as a reaction to the countless claims that assessors were lying about what people said and were writing down all manner of things that people didn't know about or didn't say.  The assessor still has to write up the full report which you don't see them do so I guess that's where your witness is helpful if you later have to challenge anything.  I've no idea how the full, final report compares to what I saw typed on screen.  I guess I should ask for a copy of mine.  Again, I was very much encouraged by the assessor to ask the DWP for a copy of his report.       

The official information leaflet sent to you before the appointment positively encourages applicants to bring someone to the appointment so there is no need to explain why you have someone with you.  Its expected that you will take someone into the assessment with you.  I did that as its their recommendation. I took a friend.  I'd have done that anyway to ensure that I had a witness to what happened and what was said.  They only ask for the name of the person and their relationship to you, such as 'friend' or 'spouse', not their occupation. I can't recall if they even asked for his address.

If you are certain that you will want to record your face to face assessment, I recommend you agree all of that with the DWP now so that you aren't trying to do it at the last minute once you get the appointment date through - you will almost certainly only get 2-3 weeks notice of the date and I've already mentioned the issues about asking to change the date more then once.  If you have agreed everything up front you don't then actually need to buy the equipment unless and until you are called for the face to face assessment.  If you later change your mind and decide not to record it, then it shouldn't matter.       

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2017, 10:27:25 PM »
Yes, that makes sense to get in touch with them and discuss recording the assessment rather than waiting to be called for interview before I get in touch.  Thank you.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
Neurochick,

It is somewhat bizarre that we are all so pleased about being found to be more disabled than we thought we were!!

Yes maybe it is because for a long time some people expected to be assessed ass less disaabled than they thought they were.
I have not had my own PIP assessment yet and even with all this good news of people getting assessed properly with the right outcome I am still a bit scared.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2017, 07:55:23 PM »
Yes, I think about it a lot.  I have heard nothing but think of answers in my head.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
Well there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the DWP have been waiting for the outcome of my PIP face to face assessment in order to use that to determine my ESA claim.  Even though these are entirely different benefits with different criteria I'm sure they are using the PIP process to determine the outcome of the ESA one.  I got no fewer than 3 identical letters yesterday confirming that my ESA Support Group claim will continue as before - 2 dated the same day and the other dated the following day!!   I submitted the same answers and the same medical information as I had on each of the 3 previous occasions.  Every single time I've been confirmed straight into the Support Group within 2 or 3 weeks without a face to face assessment.  This time its taken 5.5 months.  None of the descriptors or tribunal decisions out there would actually make difference to my claim so that hasn't held it up and nothing else has changed.

All I'd say is be aware of this kind of thing happening and make sure that there is nothing inconsistent on your forms for different benefits.     

Monic1511

« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Neurochick, the delay is due to staff shortages and the roll out of uc
There are backlogs everywhere and esa reassessment is one where as long as your money is paid you just leave it alone.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
Trust me, I was leaving it well alone!!! Its the sodding DWP who won't leave my ESA alone!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
 >bighugs<

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2017, 12:56:19 AM »
Just in case I wasn't sure, I received another two identical letters in the post from the DWP confirming my ESA award!!!  For those who aren't following this thread, I've now had 5 absolutely identical copies (except for the dates - 3 on one date, 2 dated the previous day) of the same letter confirming my my ESA re-assessment outcome!!! 

5 copies of the same letter - is this a record do you think?!!  I wonder if more will come tomorrow in case I wasn't clear what the decision was!!