Author Topic: Lodgers - UC, tax and NI  (Read 988 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Lodgers - UC, tax and NI
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
So to extend the analogy, what you seem to me to be doing is to be looking at ways of protecting yourself from your compulsive neighbour, maybe putting up extra walls, only not to stop their clutter overflowing into your life, but to stop their power overflowing.  You're locking your front door to stop that compulsive hoarder stealing more of what you have and that we think they don't need, but that they, however irrationally, think and feel they do.

Very well put indeed, Sunny.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
My own brown envelope anxiety is worse at the moment because I know PIP transfer has to be coming soon. When it comes to ESA I feel so many years of being in the Support Group has to mean I should be left alone to be me. Has the conditionality you mention in relation to the Universal credit already been brought in, could you link me to more detials?

I get what you mean about living alone. I hate it when Mr Sunshine goes away because my old obsession about house doors being locked comes back so quickly. A long time ago i lived alone for a few years and for the last year or so the estate I lived on became so bad with a drug dealer living next door and other stuff happening that i found myself checking and double checking etc the front and back doors were locked. My lack of mobility and ability to defend myself made what about to OCD worse. When I moved in with my sister the affliction stopped immediately so it was clearly environmental.

I have two sister's who each now live alone and they get weirded out about people staying with them. Last year I wanted a break from the Midlands and my sister said I could not go stay at her house if she could not get time off work. I guess it was a control thing  >whistle< This was the sister I lived with for over seven years.

>bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »
My own brown envelope anxiety is worse at the moment because I know PIP transfer has to be coming soon.

>bighugs<

I know how you feel. I'm awaiting my PIP transfer also.

Has the conditionality you mention in relation to the Universal credit already been brought in, could you link me to more detials?

I'ts mostly the stuff laid out in the Health and Work green paper, which I think only applies to ESA at the moment, but as there's already been quite a lot of cross contamination between UC and things like JSA, it's really only a matter of time before it's introduced into UC as well.

Here's some more information:

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dwp-presentation-on-esa-plans-confirms-worst-fears-about-green-paper/

Most of the article deals with new ESA claimants, but this paragraph appears just before the end.

But he [a DWP spokesperson] stressed that the HWC was separate to a proposed post-WCA “keep-in-touch discussion” for those in the support group that is part of the green paper consultation and is “currently under consideration”, and according to the green paper could be a mandatory requirement.

Despite the presentation saying that the claimant commitment would set out the “legal requirements that claimants will be required to accept in order to receive ESA”, he said: “Any actions agreed in the claimant commitment prior to the WCA will be entirely voluntary.”

He had not confirmed by 1pm today (Thursday) how both of these statements could be correct.

This is the Spartacus Network report on the green papaer:

https://spartacusnetwork.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/smokescreen-response-to-green-paper/

>Edit: Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:00:53 PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
Thank you for the links  >star<

face-to-face “health and work conversation” (HWC) with a jobcentre work coach

I wonder if a campaign to make sure we all take advantage of the help that they are going to offer might help us cope with the fear this type of thing creates. Image if there was a waiting list for appointments and then when we go to the appointments we have a list of needs that need to be met.

Despite the presentation saying that the claimant commitment would set out the “legal requirements that claimants will be required to accept in order to receive ESA”, he said: “Any actions agreed in the claimant commitment prior to the WCA will be entirely voluntary.”

Reminds me of going to the Job centre in the 1980s when I had to say yes to allsorts of stuff knowing things wer not actually going to be available eg a actual job

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
I wonder if a campaign to make sure we all take advantage of the help that they are going to offer might help us cope with the fear this type of thing creates. Image if there was a waiting list for appointments and then when we go to the appointments we have a list of needs that need to be met.

I'm dickering with a noisy brain at the moment, so just to clarify, do you mean the help that's on offer to enable us to attend the appointment, or help that's on offer to create a realistic claimant committment?

The cynic in me worries that so often the help we're meant to get from the system exists only in theory. For example, in principle we have the ability to get our WCA recorded, but in practice it's almost impossible to have this done. I also worry about the sheer amount of power available to Work Coaches under the new system. If for instance, we couldn't attend an appointment becaue one or more of our list of needs could not be met, I'd worry that it would simply result in a sanction, which would then have to be appealed, creating more stress and loss of income. It's possible that I'm just catastrophising, but it's difficult not to.

Yet more has emerged regarding UC. Hats off to DPAC for pursuing the FoI request:

https://dpac.uk.net/2017/05/claiming-esa-universal-credit-nobody-unfit-work-anymore/

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/activists-horrified-by-universal-credit-rules-forcing-sick-claimants-into-work-activity/