Author Topic: Good news re PIP  (Read 614 times)

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Good news re PIP
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
Just thought I would post my daughter's good news about PIP to encourage others.

She has CFS/ME so level of disability can be hard to prove. However she has been given the enhanced rate in both categories, for an ongoing period and it says on the back they won't be contacting her again until after May 2027. So best possible result for her.

Looking at the points given there are some I think she should have got she didn't but that is academic because she has more than enough to be in the right categories.

We did send a lot of medical info, some of which we had to pay for privately as she has no consultant. I think the support of her GP was the main factor although she did still have to have a face to face assessment.

So sighs of relief here. Now that this personal stress is over I shall fulfil my promise to a friend involved in a community group helping people with benefit claims to get involved. Helping my son or daughter with their claims has a detrimental effect on my mental health so I didn't think I would be of much help to others for a while. Now both should be left alone for some years (son got same award last year)I can use the experience I have gained to help other people which I know I can do more objectively and so not suffer the same sort of stress.

Hope others going through the benefit hoops are equally successful.

Monic1511

Re: Good news re PIP
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
Hi Gorbut

Thanks for some good news,  was this decision based on the info you sent or did you have to go to tribunal,  sorry I vaguely recall posting about a tribunal but cant recall if its was for her ESA or this pip.
Glad you got a decent decision.

Monic

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
Nice one  >thumbsup<  Let's hope your stress levels can drop dramatically now it's over for a goodly while!

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:05:48 PM »
Hi Monic

This decision was the initial one so no need to worry about fighting for it this time. Her ESA renewal was last autumn and we were set to go to tribunal about that one. We went to mandatory reconsideration for that one which again went against her but I discovered that the medical information I sent had not been passed on to the decision maker and kicked up a fuss. Because of this they looked at it again and phoned her on the 23rd December to say they had reinstated her in the support group for three years. For the PIP transfer I got even more medical information by digging into savings and going private and also made a point of checking at her face to face assessment that the assessor had copies of it all. I took copies with me to hand over if necessary. I suspect that there are advantages in having a pushy mother 😀 although I know his doesn't always work and appreciate we are lucky to have savings to dig into.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:07:37 PM by gorbut »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 12:44:32 AM »
Gorbut - thank you for posting about this because I find it very encouraging.

Your comment about private medical evidence makes me think that it might be worth my while to get some.  I'm getting a statement from one health professional, but another statement mightn't go amiss.  Thank you for mentioning it.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »
Good news gorbut!  >star< >bubbly< >magicfairy<

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »
I think that the more reports or letters from medical or social care professionals you can get the better. If the initial decision maker ignores them it also gives something to refer to in appeals letters.

I think it helped in appeals my two had to go through in the past that we could put things like

you say I can do x but Dr A clearly states in report dated B that I have difficulty with y which makes x impossible for me.

Our GP did not have much faith in the DWP listening to her so I will be letting her know next week that they did plus delivering a nice box of chocolates as she went out of her way to resend her report after a mix up caused by the admin staff at the surgery.

Reports can be a problem though as writing such reports is not covered by the NHS contracts unless it is directly requested by the DWP.  The CFS/ME service my two used to attend had a definite policy of not writing reports which I can understand from the point of view of their lack of time but the stress of worrying about money to live can't help the patients in any way at all.

This can be got round by those who can afford to pay to see someone privately but is patently unfair to those who can't and don't have support from family or friends to take on some of the burden of the paperwork etc.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
My GP does letters but I don't think he'd do anything long except where he saw a particular need, but with the main bulk of my problems, I think that would be fine.

There's a page on his computer that he can print off that lists conditions, and then he can type a few words.  He has a stock phrase for ESA of just five words that fly off his fingers so fast you could be mistaken for thinking he was just hitting a few directional keys or typing in a name or something, but it works like magic.  I haven't asked whether he's got such a phrase for PIP.  I shall try to think of one.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 11:32:37 AM »
Thinking further, it's difficult as regards second opinions in relation to my conditions.  I might do ok on the neuro front with the letters he did to my GP that say about my problems, although it would be better if they'd put them in terms of everyday functioning.  Without digging out the letters, so just thinking of an example of what he tested and found, a 'positive Babinski' might tell my GP there's a problem with the nerve connections between my foot and my brain, but it doesn't tell a PIP assessor or a DWP DM that I've got problems with falling over.  I know that's an over-simplification.  Having said that, I picture my problems in terms of bits of me talking.  For example, my brain shouting "Erm hello, hello, leg?  Where the hell are you?  Yes, I know my signals to your muscles are weak and and slow, but how am I supposed to know what to tell them to do if you won't tell me what you're up to?"  I'm not sure how that would go down with people assessing my eligibility!

I could really do with more on the therapy and prompting front, but I have an absolutely wonderful GP and don't want to be seen to go behind  his back.  Maybe the best bet would be to ask him for a letter, suggesting some words, mention I'm hoping to get a physio letter, then ask whether he'd be offended if I got another opinion from someone like a psychiatrist or psychotherapist or psychiatric OT.

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
I've got positive Babinski too - I love your analogy "my brain shouting "Erm hello, hello, leg?  Where the hell are you?"   >lol< >lol< >lol<