Author Topic: ESA IR  (Read 468 times)

WeDesign

• Gold Member
ESA IR
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »
My dad lives alone,  he has state pension and a works pension,  he does not claim any housing benefit or Council Tax.  He has savings over the limits.

I am an Adult claiming ESA IR,  I have no savings.

Will my ESA IR be affected by moving in with my father?

Monic1511

Re: ESA IR
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi
The only way your income related ESA would be affected would be if you get SDP because you live alone and no one claims carers allowance, you would get this premium if you are in receipt of DLA (MRC or HRC) or PIP standard Daily living.

You would need to look at your ESA award letter which should say

ESA standard Rate 71.10
WRAG/SG
Disability Premium
Severe Disability Premium
Both premiums depend on a DLA/PIP award.

2nd point you mentioned dad has savings over the limit - There is no limit for pensioners,  the rules are different for them.  The pension service ignore the first 10,000 in savings and then apply a tariff to any amounts over that.  If your dad gets AA then his applicable amount could be higher than the basic.

As usual its not a straight forward answer and his eligibility for housing benefit or council tax reduction depends first on him renting and then it becomes a means test, I knew pensioners with 32,000 in savings but full housing benefit.

use an online benefit checker if you know his amounts entitled to.com for example

best wishes
Monic

WeDesign

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »
Thanks,

I am not in receipt of SDP although I do have the Disability Premium which I believe is the Support Group Element.

My Dad only gets Mobility Allowance.

He does not claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax,  the house is owned by the two of us 50/50.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:10:28 PM by WeDesign »

Monic1511

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »
Hi,
I assume you don't have pip / DLA either, maybe you should apply for it.
For benefits you're both treated as single adults so you're esa should not reduce in any way
Monic

WeDesign

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:31:13 AM »
I only get the low rate care of DLA

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
What is ESA IR please?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
ESA IR is Employment and Support Allowance Income Related.

WebDesign,

Your DLA should not be affected unless your health improves once you live with your Dad.
It is not something you mentiomed but make sure you sit down with you Dad and work out who is going to pay what in terms of household bills.