Author Topic: First time esa form  (Read 1085 times)

pjd

• Silver Member
First time esa form
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi,  I've received my first esa form and am transferring from ib.   I've been trying to word things for the last week but am still struggling.   

Do people tend to fill the paper form in or do the online form?
Do people puts of information that does not all fit in the box or keep it short but detailed so it can fit in the box.?
Can the form be handed in to the place of postage as its not far from me or does it have to go through the postal system?
How best do people fill in the 'about illnesses' section.   Is it like a story or just a list of conditions/symptoms and diagnosis?

Sorry for the question but I'm stressing out big time and don't have much time left to fill it in.

Thanks.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: First time esa form
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »
Personally, I have always preferred the paper version of the form..

If answers won't fit in the boxes, a firmly attached sheet does just as well, as does a "please see 'any other information' " at the form's end - this is also where you get to tell the DWP all those bits that don't seem to be covered by their pre-set questions!

Being in a position to hand-deliver the form is great, you're not compelled to use the Royal Snail, but do get a receipt from whoever you hand it in to..

As for 'about illnesses', the DWP want the diagnoses if you have them, but what they're more interested in is exactly how the effects of those illnesses impacts on your ability to work or take part in work-related activity.  Do have a browse through the various threads in this part of the board as you will find some useful ESA information from others who have been through the process - and received the award that they should  >thumbsup<

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »
Ok thanks.  I was thinking that the answers put in the boxes for each question would cover how your illnesses affect you

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:57:34 AM »
Hi there pjd. This link offers some guidance on answering individual questions:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/

Really it functions as a list of questions to ask yourself, so that you can describe the limits your condition(s) impose on your capability for work or work-related activity in the most accurate way.

If you run out of space on the form and have to use extra sheets, put your name, date of birth and National Insurance number at the top of each sheet, and as Kizzy said attach them firmly to the form.

And once you have the form filled in and delivered, don't forget to do something nice for yourself. It is a stressful thing to have to do, so don't be afraid to rest up or enjoy a treat.

>hugs<

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »
thanks.  il take a look.     I can put some rambling paragraphs together for the answers but i keep questioning myself over whether they have enough detail in them or if ive put too much  (tendency to waffle and ramble a lot, ha)

is something like this ok for the move seat, sit/stand question:-

I cannot sit at all without pain and discomfort and can usually sit upright for no more than 5-15 minutes due to burning pain /stiffness in my joints and my body feels weak and aches badly. The longer i remain seated the more intense it becomes no matter what position i am in, and i need assistance to get up. Lying flat for a while is the only thing that provides any relief.  When standing, i can only do so for no more than a few minutes, whether assisted or not, due to becoming very dizzy and nauseous and hot and i have to sit or lie down quickly or i will blackout.

thanks.  x

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
That looks like an excellent piece of writing to me, pjd - if you're completing the other questions in the same vein, I don't think you have much to worry about!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
No waffle or rambling to be seen in what you've written there at all pjd! It comes across as clear, relevant and detailed.  >thumbsup<

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »
Hiya,   thanks.

do I not have put about my family helping with things like getting off the toilet and bed and so on in it as well?

Monic1511

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Hiya,   thanks.

do I not have put about my family helping with things like getting off the toilet and bed and so on in it as well?

Hi - you would word that as "I cannot get up from a seated position without assistance" - they wont ask about bed because you don't tend to work from bed, they want to know how your health affects every job under the sun.
 >dove<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
(Because if you can crawl as far as the front door and lift a finger and have some vague notion which planet you're on, you can obviously work even if you'd struggle to find anyone that would consider it profitable to employ you unless you were rather less disabled than their standards would imply.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »
In all seriousness, pjd, may I give you my bog-standard advice...

1. Check the legal criteria and don't just answer the questions the form asks, but answer the questions that it should have asked, even if that means adding some extra typed out pages (with your name, NI number, question no. etc. on them);

2. Never say anything that isn't completely true, but...

3. However distressing it is, don't make out things are better for you than they are.  We live in a society that expects people to downplay things, but this isn't the time for 'putting a face on it';

4. It's ok to say things more than once, e.g. say how your conditions affect you in a general bit at the beginning or attached, and then be specific in each section;

Incidentally, if you haven't asked for extra time, you may be able to get some.  I can't remember how it is for ESA but I got an extra 2 weeks for my PIP application just by asking.

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
Hiya,
I am going tl have to ask for an extension as i have only a week left to do the form and im still on the physical questions.  ( been bedbound the past week and too poorly ).  Im having a terrible time figuring out how to word things and have very bad memory problems.   

Do you get a confirmation letter from the DWP confirming that you have asked for an extension, as I worry that they will just stop my money if the form is not returned by the due date.

Can my family phone up for me as i am very anxious on the phone?

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
How do you explain about manual dexterity question., the examples seem daft to me.   I am bedbound a lot of days and couldn't move even if I wanted to but when I can move I have difficulty holding/gripping things because my hands are stiff and sore all the time . i can use my hands but it makes the symptoms worse, and my arms get tired very quickly.  Do am I classed as being to be do them even if I can't sometime and when I can it's with pain and fatigue..   Do I say yes or no?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
I don't recall getting anything in writing saying I'd got extra time.  If you're concerned, could you have someone with you and put your phone on speakerphone when you ask for extra time?

If you're struggling on the phone, someone can do the talking for you, but you need to be there to authorise them to do so.  I don't know, but my gut feeling is that a DWP person with time targets to meet would probably rather speak to someone who can deal with them better than someone who's a bit of a wreck (which I can be, but differently because I'm longwinded and scatterbrained).

In all seriousness, is there anyone at all that could help you with the form, even if it's just someone that can sit with you and keep you calm and maybe suggest the odd word or two?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
You can get a 2-week extension no problem if you just phone up and ask - someone else can indeed speak for you, but you need to be with this person initially to confirm your security details to the DWP  (eg address, date of birth) and to confirm that you agree to this person making enquiries and requests on your behalf.   In other words, what Sunny Clouds said - she posted just as I was typing this!

Unfortunately the DWP don't send out letters just to verify an extension date!  Be sure to note this date when you have it, plus the date the request was made.  Whoever at the DWP grants it should be entering the new date immediately on the computer system (I had no problems asking for an extension on my PIP form - which was due back on a silly date like 23 December  >doh<)

As for the manual dexterity, you would say yes, you do have problems with this as you are unable to perform actions 'reliably and repeatedly' without suffering pain and fatigue.   Again, you seem to have explained it very well already so you can just write on the form what you've posted above about your difficulties in that direction...