Author Topic: Query About Carers Allowance and Getting Additional Care  (Read 175 times)

neurochick

• Diamond member
Query About Carers Allowance and Getting Additional Care
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
Hi folks I have a question that I think doesn't easily fit into one of the sections on the board but really need assistance.  Its not related to me but to an acquaintance's elderly parent.

This elderly person has various disabling chronic health problems and receives Attendance Allowance.  One of their children receives Carer's Allowance for them.  The relevant basis of that benefit (for the purpose of my question) is that the carer must provide a minimum of 35 hours of care per week to qualify for that benefit.  So, if a Local Authority Care needs assessment is then carried out for the elderly relative, is the fact that they are supposed to be receiving 35 hours of care from the carer taken into account by the local authority? Do they simply ignore that carer and the activities they are supposed to be carrying out and assess the level/type of care needs as if the carer didn't exist?  Or do they factor in the 35 hours the person is supposed to be doing plus the type of care activities they are providing and potentially reduce the level of care that they will provide accordingly? 

Let's assume the reality is that the person in receipt of the carer's allowance is actually doing nothing and is just pocketing the cash (don't go there with the fact that this is benefit fraud - I know all that part!).  I'm concerned that when the family try to get further care for the elderly relative via the local authority, as is going to become necessary sooner or later, they will struggle because the local authority will say - well, this person already receives at least 35 hours of care a week from X so we will only be willing to supplement what is already being done.  I assume they ask what activities the carer performs, how the 35+ hours a week is made up etc, etc.  This family would have to lie about what the carer is doing as they are going nothing therefore I'd assume the local authority will only provide what they think is necessary over and above these 'mythical', invented 35 hours/ care activities. Is that how it works or not?

Really grateful for help with this especially from those who have detailed knowledge of how this all works.             

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Query About Carers Allowance and Getting Additional Care
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
The LA will ask who the carer is but will ignore that persons tasks as providing care can just be supervision and no physical caring activities but the person on AA will need to pay for any care.  The bigger issue is if the person on AA is losing out on income related benefits just because someone is getting carers allowance. Those sums would need to be done as well.

neurochick

• Diamond member
Re: Query About Carers Allowance and Getting Additional Care
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
Thank you.