Author Topic: Not exactly didsability related  (Read 286 times)

JLR2

Not exactly didsability related
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
The following is my complaint to the BBC about their coverage of some Prince's first public engagement since his becoming engaged to some American actress.

''When there is news today of many people losing their jobs at the Royal Bank of Scotland through branch closures to devote so much time to a Royal who has become engaged to an American woman and their visit to some charity is plain out of order. Not all BBC licence fee payers are interested in what the Royal family do in their daily lives.

It would be better if the BBC could stop aiding the government's burying of bad news agenda by getting on with reporting real news instead of this level of drivel about the Royal family.''

JLR2

Re: Not exactly didsability related
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
To give a clearer idea as to what it is that has wound me up about this BBC news coverage, the item on Harry's visit to a charity ran for near half an hour. It began following the news reader telling viewers the BBC was about to cover the bank closures story but before that they, the BBC, would go over to where Harry and his fiancÚ were making their visit and then that was it 20 odd minutes of watching Harry and his fiancÚ shaking numerous hands as they wandered down some street, luckily it wasn't the Mall otherwise the BBC news team would still be following along in awe at so many hands being shaken.

I've nothing against Harry being engaged but just as he's become engaged I've no doubt there were many others becoming engaged the same day and I'd wish every one of them all the best. Mind you Harry certainly will not be faced with the same challenges faced by many other recently engaged couples and I seriously doubt he'll ever have to use the bank of Mum and Dad to provide financial help securing a mortgage for him and his future missus.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Are you trying to say that the media is manipulating the minds of the people by getting them to focus on the positive story about people who are living in a different world to them?

Inducing a romantic dreamy trance in people to comfort them for awhile until they get a nasty psychological scare in the form of dramatic stories about global terrorism and looming nuclear Armagideon.

Condition the public by giving them some hope and a nice story to fantasize about to get then to relax and let down their guard.

https://letmereach.com/2014/11/04/feel-like-you-were-brainwashed-by-the-narcissist/

Emotional Terrorism and Media Mass Mind Control.

http://rense.com/general69/mass.htm

July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
The BBC are welcome and free to yap about Harry's upcoming wedding, something I also have no problems with and would wish both Harry and his future wife all the best for their life together. What I have a problem with is the BBC yapping on about it for more than five minutes and ahead of more important news such as those who are about to lose their jobs in the run up to Christmas.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
The BBC is only yapping because of the attention and Licence Fee money it is getting.

Warning explicit lyrics.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:13:55 PM by Dark_Divinity »
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

JLR2

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
The lyrics include a lot of swearing (DD added a warning) and some good lyrics about why you should smash your tv.

RBS to close one in four branches and shed 680 jobs http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42192641

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wow Nottingham crowds on first joint visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42181189

I think both stories matter because the story about the Nottingham visited included

After the walkabout, Prince Harry and Ms Markle went to the Nottingham Contemporary Exhibition Centre for an event to mark World Aids Day.
Dominic Edwards, from the Terrence Higgins Trust, told the BBC the charity was "thrilled" the couple had chosen to visit Nottingham, and said: "I think it really underlines his great support for HIV as a cause."
Royal commentator Richard FitzWilliams, said this visit represented a link with the legacy of Princess Diana's influential work on HIV 30 years ago and was "no coincidence".

I normally watch Sky News thought so did not see what the BBC broadcast.

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
I could understand the news value of the Aids day aspect of the visit what was winding me up was the way the news reader on the BBC started things by saying to viewers, ' just before we go to the story on the RBS closures we'll go to Nottingham where.....' Aye well go to Nottingham but not for the next 20/25 minutes of watching Harry and his fiancÚ shaking hands with members of the public.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
Aye well go to Nottingham but not for the next 20/25 minutes of watching Harry and his fiancÚ shaking hands with members of the public.

I see what you mean. I would have got annoyed waiting that long for the news story they mentioned at the top of the news.

SteveX

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
The following is my complaint to the BBC about their coverage of some Prince's first public engagement since his becoming engaged to some American actress.

''When there is news today of many people losing their jobs at the Royal Bank of Scotland through branch closures to devote so much time to a Royal who has become engaged to an American woman and their visit to some charity is plain out of order. Not all BBC licence fee payers are interested in what the Royal family do in their daily lives.

It would be better if the BBC could stop aiding the government's burying of bad news agenda by getting on with reporting real news instead of this level of drivel about the Royal family.''

Yeah, good point.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Royal hater, I wish them well but I have to say the amount of coverage given to it is really over the top, all the fawning by the BBC really makes me cringe and I doubt Harry would want it anyway, he seems like a really nice down to earth guy!
Member of POMMAS

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
This excessive coverage is not unique to royal occasions. It seems that not infrequently the BBC editors become obsessed with a news item and run with it ad nauseam.

It may be the death of some celebrity or a sporting event, but it is rarely hard news. Usually something more suitable for a features programme.

Maybe the editorial desk should have a big notice. "NO ITEM to EXCEED 5 minutes or 10% of news bulletin running time".

Some hopes given the BBC's regular contempt of its audience.

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
''"NO ITEM to EXCEED 5 minutes or 10% of news bulletin running time"

Oh but the BBC already enforce such rules, especially when it comes to bad news for the DWP for example when they lose court cases against claimants, then the BBC finds some daft irrelevant story to squeeze out stories detrimental to the DWP.

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
I know this is what the BBC does, but it still seems rather disrespectful to ignore the other issues. That said, it's not uncommon for them to ignore things like Atos or cuts to public services.