Author Topic: UC lines closed for most of Christmas  (Read 201 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
UC lines closed for most of Christmas
« on: November 30, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
From the Guardian:-

Some universal credit claimants are at risk of destitution over Christmas because a vital helpline will only be fully operational for two out of 10 days over the holiday, an MP has warned.

Labour MP Frank Field, chair of the Commons work and pensions committee, has urged the government to keep the universal credit helpline open during the Christmas break for claimants at risk of spending the festive season without money.

From 23 December to 1 January, job centre offices and the Universal Credit helpline are only fully operational on 28 and 29 December in England, Wales and Scotland. The helpline will open on 27 December in Scotland to to deal with payment enquiries from claimants from all nations.

It makes sense, of course.  If you're going to have vast numbers of people suffering and starving, you don't want to have to deal with floods of desperate calls about it whilst senior management is trying to take a break.  I mean, what happens if you get a flood of suicide calls with major news consequences so the high-ups have to take time out to lie to brief the press?  Or what if the system crashes?  Fixing it would be horribly expensive over Christmas, wouldn't it?  And whilst frontline DWP staff don't matter to those running the system, there's paperwork and recruitment costs involved when they have breakdowns.

No, far better to let others deal with the mess of the claimants suffering and starving.  Like the A&E departments that won't be able to cope with the winter 'flu epidemic much less cope with this sort of problem, social services departments that already can't fund help for all those that already need it without having to find places in the looked-after system for starving children, psychiatric services that - erm, do we actually have any psychiatric services left? 

Oh, it's all right.  Ex-chancellor Osborne is masterminding a wonderful newspaper campaign to raise funds to feed hungry children over Christmas because he thinks it's such a scandal there are so many hungry children in the UK.  I hope his readers don't  let the fact that he caused or let himself be used as a tool by those that caused much of the misery and hunger get in the way of helping with this obscenity's campaign.

Yes, I'm a tad mad today.  Nope, not in the 'insane' sense, in the 'angry' sense.  I would argue that taking exception to what's being done to people, rendering them hungry, cold, dirty*, homeless, isolated is a sign of sanity.  (*Dirty - if you've got no money, where do you get sanitary towels, incontinence pads, loopaper, soap etc?  If you can't pay the rent and get thrown out, where do you wash?  I've been impoverished and also street homeless, so I know the reality of that.)

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: UC lines closed for most of Christmas
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
At least it has gone mainstream:-

https://news.sky.com/story/claimants-face-universal-credit-disaster-as-helpline-closes-for-most-of-xmas-11149016

Claimants face Universal Credit 'disaster' as helpline closes for most of Xmas

The Prime Minister is being urged to ensure a phone line is open over all the festive period to assist benefit claimants.
18:38, UK, Wednesday 29 November 2017

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I note this -

"On the Christmas closures, Work and Pensions Secretary David Gauke told Sky News: "We've got the usual operation. The hotline doesn't operate on Bank Holidays but that has been the case for previous Christmases without particular problems."

Ok, 10 days.

Sat 23
Sun 24
Mon 25 Bank holiday (weekday so no alternative holiday needed in lieu)
Tue 26 Bank holiday (ditto)
Wed 27 Part open (why not completely open?)
Thu 28 Open
Fri 29 Open
Sat 30 Closed anyway
Sun 31 Closed anyway
Mon 1 Bank Holiday
Tue 2 Bank Holiday (Scotland only - so why are their lines open?)

So in theory, it's like normal businesses when the Christmas bank holidays fall during the week.  However, would they close A&E or police stations or social services emergency contact teams for the whole of that?  I think not.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
WARNING: Dangerous request being asked:

The Prime Minister is being urged to ensure a phone line is open over all the festive period to assist benefit claimants.

Knowing how literal the PM and the rest of her Sheeple are, there will be a phone line open over all of the festive period, which phone line that is and whether it will be manned is anyone's guess!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
It seems to be a way to make the most money out of properties by way of social reordering. Get the people on benefits and zero hour contracts out of 1 bedroom flats and into a room in a HMO. They can make more money by reletting to non-smoking, pet-free professionals who are too busy too breed.

Letting out rooms in a large apartment or a house is more profitable than letting out an entire property. Restrict the choice by flooding the local area market with HMO rooms for working people and get people to pay agents fees, guantors bond fee and rent in advance or deposit to secure the property to move in.

July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

JLR2

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
''Letting out rooms in a large apartment or a house is more profitable than letting out an entire property. Restrict the choice by flooding the local area market with HMO rooms for working people and get people to pay agents fees, guarantors bond fee and rent in advance or deposit to secure the property to move in.''

Do you really think those who are likely to be doing as you suggest need your advice?

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
It's not advice it is common knowledge, they already know what they need to do. IMO

Talking about it and how it is done isn't going to create a significant increase in the number of property owners and private landlords suddenly deciding to set -up HMO's.

I know it's not great but it is something until the Government is pressured into building more social housing.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/more-social-housing

The local councils should be looking to develop more brownfield sites and derelict building to building council housing. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:02:43 PM by Dark_Divinity »
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »
''UC lines closed for most of Christmas''

Ah'm wondering, will that mean no 'orrible brown envelopes on the door mat for a few days?