Author Topic: Estimated 1.7 billion of welfare benefits was underpaid in 2016/2017  (Read 314 times)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
This is the official information so if anyone wants to share this about other agencies feel free
The government released this along with the new rates on Harry's engagement day
New DWP statistics also highlight that underpayments of personal independence payment are estimated to be 190 million, equivalent to 3.6 per cent of total expenditure on the benefit
An estimated 1.7 billion of welfare benefits was underpaid to claimants in 2016/2017 according to final annual estimates issued by the Department for Work and Pensions today.
Estimated data based on a sample of benefit claims indicates that the rate of underpayments has not changed from its highest recorded rate last year, amounting to one per cent of total benefit expenditure in 2016/2017. The new figures highlight that underpayments due to claimant error increased from 0.6 per cent to 0.7 per cent of benefit expenditure, while official error underpayments decreased from 0.4 per cent to 0.3 per cent.
The report also notes that it is the first year that personal independence payment has been included in the analysis of fraud and error and finds that -
  the total rate of underpayments of personal independence payment is 3.6 per cent, representing 190 million underpaid on total expenditure of 5.2 billion;
  160 million of total underpayments are due to claimant errors, all of which are connected with deterioration of medical needs not being reported;
  official errors resulting in underpayments amount to 0.5 per cent of spending (27 million) and are entirely due to errors in the decision awarding benefit; and
  the total rate of overpayments is estimated to be 3.1 per cent, representing 160 million overpaid.
For more information see Fraud and error in the benefit system: financial year 2016 to 2017 estimates from gov.uk
 https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/estimated-1.7-billion-of-welfare-benefits-underpaid-in-2016-2017

JLR2

Re: Estimated 1.7 billion of welfare benefits was underpaid in 2016/2017
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
Sorry Monic but the BBC would have made mention of these facts were they not so busy telling everyone and their granny about a young couple who have become engaged recently.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:11:51 AM »
I strongly suspect the real rate of underpayment for PIP is far higher, even when we discount those wrongly denied benefits by incorrect assessments.
I have had my level of current conditions for some two years now, but I only applied for PIP when invited to do so.
 I probably lost out by some 2500 per annum - more than my mortgage.
However, I could have easily lost 2500 too, if I had an untruthful assessor.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »
I have had my level of current conditions for some two years now, but I only applied for PIP when invited to do so.

>bighugs< I am currently in a similar position. I will probably get more money when I move over to PIP, but will stay on DLA for now as it is guaranteed.

When it came to our new mortgage one bank considered DLA as income but not PIP. Luckily not all banks live in the dark ages.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »
I may have got my maths wrong, but I think going from DLA HRC + LRM to PIP SRC has cost me 2600/year.

What's really, really upset me about it, though, is the way they've done it, denying I've got problems I've got.  They'd have done better to try to argue I didn't meet particular thresholds for how often I've got problems or something.  At least that would feel less like they're effectively telling me I'm lying. 

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
I stayed on dla until invited over to pip.  Like AndMac and sunshine I didn't bother rocking the boat.  Over the years I've developed numerous health issues, and my mobility went down the pan.  I've gained on pip, so, I also missed out on being underpaid over the years.  However,  I feel it's come at a price.  I'm having another spinal operation on Friday.  I wish I didn't need to claim anything, and have my Active life back .  I hope you get sorted soon sunny.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:25 PM »
I sent in my request for a reconsideration but it got sent back and I've got to send it in again in a different format.  But I'm in meltdown and draft after draft is just more and more emotional.  I feel barely rational now.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
Sunny, how long do you have to send it in again?  Can you take a few days off before doing this?

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:03:36 PM »
Sunny, might I ask what was the format the DWP rejected and what sort of format is it that they require reconsiderations to take?

Ally, I hope everything goes well for your op tomorrow.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »
Something that wouldn't go through their scanning system.  I'll PM you.