Author Topic: A foul accusation  (Read 6600 times)

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
A foul accusation
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
The Town Hall housing benefit computer has accused me of going abroad for 3 months in the summer and receiving housing benefit to which I was not entitled.

There has been some mistake as I have not been abroad for years.

The insist that I go to the town hall and show them ALL my bank statements for that period.

It is true, I have not been abroad. The JC+ computer says there has been a blip but it is not my fault.

All my emails to the Town Hall have been ignored, i,e, just bringus all your bank statements

Fingers on buzzers, as a starter for 10, how shall I proceed?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: A foul accusation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
It depends on how  easily get copies of your bank statements and go to the Town Hall to hand them in? I know it will feel like they are making you do something that should not be necessary, but the sooner the issue can be sorted the less worry and hassle for you.

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
No, I'm not showing them my fecking bank statements. The computer has got it wrong.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »
No, I'm not showing them my fecking bank statements. The computer has got it wrong.

Personally I would ask them just what "information" they have been given that has made them come to that conclusion.
Subtext what malicious person has been telling them porkies.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
I just remembered you posting the lack of a hand rail at the Jobcentre, am I correct in thinking you were signing on every two weeks throughout the summer? Maybe it would be worth pointing that out to the people at the Town Hall.

devine63

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »

Hello SIr C

sorry to hear this has happened.   Mainly I would suggest you get advice from CAB or Disability Alliance helpline or a solicitor.

A few thoughts:

remind them it is "innocent until proven guilty" and ask for proof of their claim you were out of the country.

Ask them what is it they are expecting to see on your bank statements which will help them to know whether or not you were in the country?    i suspect they think they will be able to see transactions occurring within the UK (or not).    If all they want to see is where and when the transactions occur you could prepare a copy of your bank statements for the requisite  period but with the AMOUNTS of the transactions (and any other details you don't choose to reveal) blanked out but so they can see where and when.
regards, Deb
regards, Deb

[devine63]

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that you have been subjected to this. It does seems that, in relation to benefits of any sort, it is now a case of 'guilty until you can prove you are innocent' rather than the otherway round. I second the suggestion of getting advice from CAB or suchlike and hope that this is soon sorted out.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
How would your bank statements prove one way or another if you had been abroad or not? or am I being obtuse?
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
A list of debits showing payment to foreign stores/travel companies, perhaps?

Yes, do find out how they came by this erroneous conclusion.  If they are ignoring your e-mails, it's probably best to turn up in person - you could make an appointment to see the supervisor (or higher grade), for instance....

And as Sunshine says, if you've been signing on every two weeks, the JobcentrePlus office will have proof of that to demonstrate that you've been in this country all the while!

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
Your bank statement would also show that you've been claiming JSA - for which you have to sign on every 2 weeks for.

loopy_s

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
    • Rolling with the Punches
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18:07 PM »
I'm just musing that personally my bank statements wouldn't necessarily prove a thing one way or the other.
I pay everything by direct debit or standing order or online.
There is a payment to my Credit card once a month where I pay off my entire amount for that month.
So assuming I'd only used my credit card while abroad, nothing would show up on my bank statement.
But conversely, in my usual day to day life there are rarely any payments which "prove" that I am definitely in the UK.  >doh<

I suppose I would have to show them my direct payments bank statements (and hope they didn't think my carers were also fraudsters). double  >doh<

But the whole situations is ridiculous. However I think you are obliged to show them your statements. I believe I signed an agreement to show them financial evidence upon demand when I applied for ESA and Housing Benefit. Didn't you do the same?

If this situation really is the result of a malicious tip off I think it is a form of bullying or even hate crime. If shown to be totally untrue I feel the caller should be allowed to be prosecuted for wasting time at the very least. At the moment it is the victim who undergoes the stress and trouble while the perpetrator goes unpunished. I believe DavidG has had similar problems. It is very wrong.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »

If this situation really is the result of a malicious tip off I think it is a form of bullying or even hate crime. If shown to be totally untrue I feel the caller should be allowed to be prosecuted for wasting time at the very least. At the moment it is the victim who undergoes the stress and trouble while the perpetrator goes unpunished.

Have you signed the petition:-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22678

Make it a criminal offence to maliciously report someone for benefit fraud.

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

Given the success rate of the "shop a benefit fraud" hotline is only 0.31%, a large number of people are being maliciously accused of benefit fraud. Such malicious people should be subject the criminal law similar to wasting police time.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
yes along with personal and private financial details like your subscription for Anarchists Monthly
The lack of any foreign transactions would not necessarily prove you were not abroad only that you did not use your bank account while out of the country. Details of transactions carried out by you here would of course be proof but so would ATM receipts and the like which would not show any embarrassing details and would suffice surely.

Any way if they are accusing you of something it should be up to them to offer proof.

I think I will go sign that petition now.

Best of luck Sir C and I hope you get an apology though I doubt you will.

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
"Hi-yo Sliver! Away!"

Has your horse got dyslexia?

Thank you all for your points. I shall go to he Town Hall this afternoon. If there is news of a shootout / hostage situation-type situation on the 6o'clock news, it's me.

And if the worst happens, it was fairly nice knowing you all. 

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
Err yes how did you know