Author Topic: Help needed - last minute present conundrum  (Read 6553 times)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Help needed - last minute present conundrum
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
I asked my SIL whether there was a little something that my niece's boyfriend might like for Christmas - we are seeing them on the day and I would not want to leave him out. I will be honest and admit that I had forgotten about him (we have only met him a couple of times)  >blush< . SIL texted Mr H yesterday and said he would like a bottle of Tia Maria or apple vodka. Both of those come in around 13 and that is more than we want to spend (bearing in mind that Mr H is one of seven so we don't spend more than 10 on anyone).
Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem is compounded by the late date, I don't intend to start scouring the shops now - anything I get will have to be picked up from Tesco or Sainsbury tomorrow.
It's always easy enough to find a little something for girls, but boys are much harder to buy for ...

hossylass

Re: Help needed - last minute present conundrum
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
Cheeky little shit ! That sort of gift comes from close family, and to be honest I think that he should have politely refused any gift, but thank you for your kindness instead.

Dear gods, old enough for a girlfriend but not mature enough to realise that xmas is for children, and adults should neither expect nor desire gifts from other adults who are not immediate family. (or even then to be honest).

Is this the "entitlement attitude" we keep hearing about?
Am I out of touch?
Is it just me thats offended by the greed of this young man?

Hmmm, probably ! ;)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Is it just me thats offended by the greed of this young man?

No - I thought it was a damn cheek as well, requesting an expensive present like that.  Get him a four-pack of Tesco's own brand Extra-Strength lager  ;-)  I'd be inclined to spend no more than a fiver on him now...

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
TBH, Hossy, I am not sure how much came from the young man in question and how much from my SIL - who has always had the 'entitlement' attitude of which you speak! Mr H says that, when the were younger (and SIL is 9 years younger than Mr H) she would always buy people halves when it was her round but ask for brandy when someone else was paying!
We have already spent more on that bit of the family as we have something for my SIL, nephew, niece and niece's son (the current bf is not the father) so I am not minded to spend much more than 5 - but I would like to get him something as he doesn't really have much of a family himself.
 I have made candles for the older generation and given the 'kids' (ranging from 26 down to 20) 10 Amazon vouchers, so you can see that spending 13 would be disproportionate.

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »
Asda have a sale on drink Hurtyback  >rainbow<  i think the WKD the blue stuff is special offer isnt that something like vodka. thats what a lot of the teenagers drink 

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
Thanks, Pink  >thumbsup< , I don't really want to trek over to ASDA but the WKD is worth bearing in mind, especially if they do an apple one...

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
Flamin' cheek.  He is lucky that you are so kind to even consider buying him a gift.  >angry<

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
Thanks, Pink  >thumbsup< , I don't really want to trek over to ASDA but the WKD is worth bearing in mind, especially if they do an apple one...
i dont know what flavour they are Hurtyback

Gravity

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
Is it fair for me to say that from what was posted, I get the impression the boyfriend himself may not have been asked?
Let's not assume the worst of him.  >angel<

My thought was, since it's Christmas, the supermarkets might have mini bottles of drinks?
Or you could buy him a really cheap bottle of vodka and some apple cordial ;)

Or, alternatively, my go-to token present is a box of maltesers. I don't think he could complain about a box of chocs...

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »
Another friend has reminded me of the young man's obsession with 'Lynx', so I think something like this might serve the purpose.
Gravity, you are correct in that I do not know whether this request actually came from the young man himself or my SIL - who, frankly should know better!

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »
The fellas all like Lynx Africa Hurtyback

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
seems a loss in translation, you asked if he'd like, he was asked what he would like
tia maria and apple vodka, aren't these girlie drinks; your SIL she hasn't offered to "deliever" the gift has she?

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
LOL, Otter - we will be seeing the young man on Christmas day, so SIL won't be able to 'kidnap' the booze  >lol<
I was at Sainsbury's this morning, to pick up a few bits and bobs - one pack of  male-orientated toileteries bought for 4 instead of 8  >thumbsup<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »
SIL sounds 'charming' ;-) Sometimes it is easier to let relatives think they have you 'trained' to their ways and avoid hassle at Christmas and others it can be a good idea to buy the relative a box of cotton hankies and then see who she re- gifts them too the following year ;-)

Nothing against cotton hankies though and I always found if you gave people ones with their initial on it would guarantee they kept them for best.
more ;-)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
My husband has just announced that we are visiting his family on Wednesday.  He knows I don't 'do' Christmas, and he also knows how much his family wind me up.  I'm  >bleep< furious.  I can't believe that after 15 years he seems to think this is a good idea.  Particularly as I've been really out of it over the last couple of weeks, and now I'm expected to be on my best behaviour and making polite conversation for an entire day.  Not  >bleep< likely!

He didn't seem quite so keen when I told him he had better sort out a present for his mother before Wednesday, as I haven't bought anything.  I gave him a couple of options a few weeks ago and he couldn't decide so I didn't bother doing anything about it.  I gave him plenty of warnings that time was getting on.

So does anyone have any ideas for an 85 year old diabetic who has no interests and doesn't go out much?  If you do, then I can send my husband out on Tuesday amongst the chaos of the sales to get something.  He'll hate it, but not as much I will at the next day's family gathering. >whistle<