Author Topic: The film thread  (Read 4367 times)

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
The film thread
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:57 PM »
Bit surprised we don't have one of these!

Anyway, I am really into films at the moment (which is strange - 3 years ago, I would not watch a film - I simply could not sit and follow a lot of films) and would like some recommendations of what I should watch next, please? Over the last few months, I have seen:
Charlie and the chocolate factory (both versions)
The Borrowers (both versions)
Matilda (was there ever a remake?)
Fantastic Mr Fox

Not too keen on horror films and did / do quite enjoy Sweeney Todd.

booboo

• Diamond member
Re: The film thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
Hi Sofie

I loved ET and Shrek - they arent current but I enjoyed them

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »
I'm a 1970s disaster movie fan:  The Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake... they don't make 'em like that nowadays!

Partial to a bit of sci-fi horror as well - the four 'Alien' films with the excellent Sigourney Weaver top my list there ..

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Sofie, if you like films of Roald Dahl's books, have you seen The Witches, with Anjelica Huston as the Grand High Witch?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
Not much for films but occasionally watch Sci Fi.

Didn't really engage with 'Stars Wars' series but did like 'Contact' with Jodie Foster. Still haven't worked out '2001 A Space Odyssey'

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
I don't think anybody has really worked out 2001, oldtone...   >biggrin<
I've seen the film, read the book but still don't know if there's supposed to be a point to it!  I ended up with the idea that the author was either a bit confused or not good at getting his ideas across.
Some very good cinematography in the film though, it's great if you can just let it slide past without working too much at the "why" of it all.  >thumbsup< >lol<

Fizzbw

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
I default back to the whole of Battlestar Galactica (new version) and Firefly! Not films, but what I like to watch :)

The film I default to is Dirty dancing I'm afraid!!!

fizzbw xxxx

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
Fizzbw,

I have the Firefly boxed set. After the tv series got cancelled they did make a movie called Serenity which is I think very good.

Everyone,

When it comes to movies I would say one I have watched more than once means it is good. Stand By My and also the Goonies are nice Sunday afternoon movies as is The Breakfast Club.

Living with Mr Sunshine means I watch a lot more scifi and some horror, but maybe we need an 18 rating thread for some films or might be better to not go there. The other day I watched a movie that was simlar to the Wickerman and equally annoying in that I ended up 'shouting' at the tv. The new Nicholas Cage  movie Seeking Justice is pretty good but not a patch on Con Air. The Descendants with George Clooney how can I put this it is really good but dont watch the movie with that high expectation just watch it and let it be good - I hope that makes sense.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
I particularly Liked The Iron Lady Meryl Streep is brilliant and the opening scene actually had me feeling sympathy for Margaret Thatcher something I thought impossible.

Also War Horse is another excellent film.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
The last film i went to see at the Cinema was "The kings Speech", i paid the price and could hardly move for 3 days after, so i tend to watch films that are on the TV, so then i can record them and watch at my leisure.

I loved the "Kill Bill" films,

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
Has anyone seen District 9?
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
Not much for films but occasionally watch Sci Fi.

Didn't really engage with 'Stars Wars' series but did like 'Contact' with Jodie Foster. Still haven't worked out '2001 A Space Odyssey'

Contact is a grand wee filim. And I'm not convinced even Kubrick had a badly clue what was happening by the end of 2001.

I love SF and Horror, but have many favourites from many genres, from Sunset Boulevard, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and All About Eve, through Dr Strangelove and the Saw series.

Being a terrible sucker for a bit of cheesy aul trash, I'll watch just about anything with the words James Bond in the title.

I've managed to get through If and O Lucky Man. Only Britannia Hospital to go. Can't wait. Not!

Current favourite is the The Haunting (1963 - Claire Bloom, Julie Harris). It's terrifying!

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
DD,

I have seen District 9 it is pretty good. I almost did not bother because it is set in South Africa, but 10 minutes in I was used to the idea. :-)

Sherbs,

The Kill Billl movies are good, the way it is stylised comic book violence meant it did not seem overwhelming. The fight in the trailer is good.

NN,

I like Scfi and Horror but for me films like Saw are too cruel. I did enjoy Skyline but the dvd copy I watched froze before the end so it stopped as they were going into the alien craft. I do know what happens at the end because I Googled but the end I saw was okay.

Speaking of old black and white films I was about 20 before I saw The Wizard of Oz in colour and it still surprises me how vibrant it is.

I was poorly today so vegged out and caught up on tv and also watched The Happening which is a okay afternoon movie.

booboo

• Diamond member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »
 >hugs< Hope you are feeling a little better today Sunshine >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »
NN,

I like Scfi and Horror but for me films like Saw are too cruel. I did enjoy Skyline but the dvd copy I watched froze before the end so it stopped as they were going into the alien craft. I do know what happens at the end because I Googled but the end I saw was okay.

They are *very* brutal. I find I can tolerate that sort of film better at some times than at others. I certainly wouldn't want to watch them repeatedly, or rush online to buy the DVD, but found them to be much better films than expected.

The Wizard of Oz is stunning. So is Gone With the Wind at a technical level.

Hope you're feeling better today SM >hugs<