Author Topic: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)  (Read 14450 times)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »
I thought we should have a thread were users could report problems or queries using the board.

First one.

The 'new' flag on topics does not seem to clear after a thread has been read, at least not immediately. This worked ok under Aimoo and I found it very useful to keep track of what I had read whilst going through a particular heading.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:25:20 AM by SunshineMeadows »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Reporting problems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
Good idea for a thread, OldTone - sorry I can't answer that particular query at the moment as I'm mainly getting conversant with the moderation software,  but I'm sure Sunshine will be along later  >thumbsup<

OutofSpoons

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
Hi, could anyone tell me if there is a way for me to make the background of the message/post text column white rather than blue/grey? I'm having difficulty reading the text on this background colour as the colours are too close.

thanks OoS

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »
Oldtone,

Great idea for a thread.

Have you tried F5 to refresh the page as you are looking at it.
I have not noticed a slowness to the new tags coming up but everyones computer has different settings and a different connection speed. I have up to 50 mb broadband which we get mates rates because if where Mr Sunshine works.

Another really good option we have here are the two links under your name at the top left hand side. Give them a try and tell me if you find them helpful.

Outof Spoons,

I am using a pre existing template for this message board and the whole thing was installed on mass to the server. I will trry to find out about changing the background colour but it may be a while before I know how to do it.  :-(

OutofSpoons

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
Thanks Sunshine  :-)

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
When registering, a tick box asked "Allow members to email".  Does that mean email to our private email address or send pm's to this site? Thanks.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
Yvette,

I checked this earlier today and when you send a PM to someone it is also sent to the persons private email account as a notification that you have a PM. The address shown on the email is not you personal address but righttofreedom@hotmail.com, so your privacy is kept intact.

I have another member account on here called Quietly Loud and I used that to look at your profile and I can not see you email address. I sent you a PM using the Quietly Loud account :-)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
Forcing a refresh did clear the 'new' flag. Not quite as convenient but usable. Thanks.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
Oldtone,

Thanks for letting me know and there is a possibility it will improve when I upgrade the hosting package which I will be doing soon.
 :-)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
Three comments.

1: First a solution to persistent New flag. I find that using the browser Back function (is I am accustomed to) does not clear the 'new' flag without a refresh but using the group link (e.g. >> Talk >>) in the paths at the top and bottom of the page does. I can learn to do that.

2: When using the 'Show unread posts since last visit' link, on choosing the topic to visit the group link appears but no path back to the unread list. This time I have to use back or select the 'unread' option from the top of the page which means scrolling up. Is there a way of dong this directly. The latest option is useful for a quick review.

This list is a bit slow too as I guess it has be compiled each time it is shown.

3: When using Quick reply I find that system seems to stall does not seem to post the reply and return topic being replied to. i either have pick the group link or use the browser Back.

The post is made just seem to stick. I don't think it should do this. does it happen to others. Using Vista & IE7.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Three comments.

1: First a solution to persistent New flag. I find that using the browser Back function (is I am accustomed to) does not clear the 'new' flag without a refresh but using the group link (e.g. >> Talk >>) in the paths at the top and bottom of the page does. I can learn to do that.

When you click Back you must be literally going back to the page where there 'needed' to be a new flag. I makes me wonder if the address in the browser changes when you (go forward?) clicking on Talk

2: When using the 'Show unread posts since last visit' link, on choosing the topic to visit the group link appears but no path back to the unread list. This time I have to use back or select the 'unread' option from the top of the page which means scrolling up. Is there a way of dong this directly. The latest option is useful for a quick review.

My natural approach to this has been to either click back or click the link on the top left again. I dont know of another way to do this. It is just getting used to how things work. For example when I am browsing Amazon I tend to right click on open links in new tabs then navigate through the tabs at what I need NOT ;-)buy.

This list is a bit slow too as I guess it has be compiled each time it is shown. Yes :-)

3: When using Quick reply I find that system seems to stall does not seem to post the reply and return topic being replied to. i either have pick the group link or use the browser Back.

The post is made just seem to stick. I don't think it should do this. does it happen to others. Using Vista & IE7.

I need to know such things and if anyone else is getting stalling we need to work together to improve the situation. If it is possible it might help if you installed IE8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
Sunshine. I am reluctant to upgrade while my system is generally working as I have had problems with one of my banking services following such an upgrade. As I need the bank facility to be reliable I will only upgrade when essential.

I'll put up with the minor niggles.

I did omit a significant sentence in my last post, which was that the 'stalled' post did in fact get posted when the topic was reopened.

No problem using the full reply box.

Thanks.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »
 >thumbsup<

I know what you mean about upgrading.
A few years ago I needed to put service pack 1 on this Vista machine and Mr Sunshine said the motherboard needed 'updating' so I left him to it. Unfortunately the motherboard update coincided with a motherboard melt down and I was most definatly not a happy bunny. I had not been backing up my files and was in a panic until the new mother board arrived. live and learnt and all that jazz.
 >whistle<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
3: When using Quick reply I find that system seems to stall does not seem to post the reply and return topic being replied to.

I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing, but it is closely related, so I'll post it here in case anyone needs it:

There is a profile option that you can set to change the way the board reacts to replies. By default, the software assumes that you're finished with the topic after you've replied, so it takes you back to the topic list without ever showing you the reply in the topic thread. If you're not used to that, it looks exactly as if your reply has vanished into the ether!

If you prefer to see your reply in place, so that you can check it's there and/or do a final proofread, you can get the board to show it to you.

To do that, go to the "Profile" menu near the top of the page and select "Forum Profile", then go to the "Modify Profile" menu a little further down. Select "Look and Layout", then check the box marked "Return to topics after posting by default." Finally, click "Change profile" to save the update.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »
While I'm on the subject of replies, the Quick Reply box has a handy little feature for longer replies. You can dynamically resize it using the little triangle at the lower right corner of the text box, so you can see all of your reply at once, no matter how long it gets. I find it very helpful for proofreading several paragraphs at once.