Author Topic: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)  (Read 14451 times)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: Reporting problems
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the comment DV, unfortunately it doesn't go back. It sticks so I have to force it back. Not a huge problem just a minor irritation.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
I have been trying to attach an image to a post but I cannot find a way of loading it to the site.

I am sure you have covered in this in a previous post but cannot find it. Would it be possible to set up a 'How To' topic in the Learning zone in which all the various instructions you have given could be collected in one place?

Thanks

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
We are going to put the tips and help posts into the Learning Zone- soon I hope but I am getting all the post structure set up for the archived threads at the moment.

Check out this link for how to add a picture ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=20.0

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
Thanks for the link. I tried your instructions and found:

1: On browsing my photo file the attachment dialog still offered 'Post' or 'Preview' not 'Save' or 'Preview' as per your illustration.

2: On posting, where I had inserted image it simply had a cross, presumably because not file name appeared between the image on and off functions using the 'Image insert' button on the reply box.

3: No thumbnail appeared but a link to my picture was shown which did open the pic in Windows Photo Gallery viewer but not an IE browser window. So I wonder if other users can see the pic.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
If that's your Fly Agaric photo, I can see it fine (with Firefox 8 on Linux), and the expanding thumbnail works too. It's a good photo (:

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 06:20:22 PM »
Thanks DV. I find that the thumbnail now appears in my post but it did not immediately after I posted, hence my query. Curious.

I was also trying to insert the photo into my text (between paragraphs) but perhaps that is not possible.

Sunshine

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
Oldtone,

The archiving I have been doing is slowing the server a bit because I keep rushing and the software is set up to stop people posting quickly. If a member is posting the way I have today it would usually be seen as spam, but I guess I have not been quite quick enough

sorry for slowing you picture attchment it should not happen one we have moved here.

I am thinking of making Sunday Transfer Day :-)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 05:52:21 AM »
I was also trying to insert the photo into my text (between paragraphs) but perhaps that is not possible.

As I understand it, you can only inline images which have a URL, not attachments. For example, I can inline the OuchToo logo like this:

by writing this in my post:

[img]http://ouchtoo.org/badge.gif[/img]

but if I upload it as an attachment, it ends up parked at the end of my message (you should see an uploaded attachment of it below).

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
That's one facility which Aimoo did have to effectively upload an image to its site. Perhaps this board has something similar but has not been discovered or enabled yet?

I don't use any of the photo distribution sites on the net because I have no need to.

Sunshine

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
Its all swings and roundabouts. On Aimoo you could post a picture to the middle of a thread, but the size of that picture was limited to something fairly small. I will look for a Gallery modification after this week end when the board is more up to date.

To clarify at the moment I can use my admin access to upload pictures to the server but that is via my Go Daddy account and what will come later will be something members can use. Something else to bear in mind is that if we are using something without the thumbnail option I will be forced to limit the picture size in the same way I did on Aimoo or we will be left in a situation where people with slower internet connections have to wait ages for the threads that have pictures in to load.

Swings and roundabouts.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
[basking in the glorious radiance of a Hero Member]

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Darth  >lol<  >biggrin< I wont be using two accounts perminantly but I kindof like the hero status Ouch Too Archived achieved doing what it was created for.

stalwart

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
You all keep talking about "thumbnails" what and where are they, I can't see any.ftp://[/shadow][url=http://][img][/img][/url]

None of the above seem to work for me, they just come out like this.

Someone mentioned the "unread" link and they had to scroll up, if you press home it will go back to the top  (ta whoever told me that!)

Well something happened!

What I don't know.   

I was trying to post a pic but pressing "insert image" just puts
 I'll try again
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:01:53 PM by stalwart »

stalwart

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Thats a self portrait of course!!!!

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
If you press the "insert image" button, you get [img][/img]. You then have to paste the URL for the image in the middle, like this:

[img]http://ouchtoo.org/badge.gif[/img]

and you'll get the image after pressing "post" or "preview":

Warning: if you use the "insert image" button, you have to keep an eye on the size of your image - if it's too big, it'll fall off the side of the thread. To keep it under control, use a "width" directive like this:

[img width=100]http://ouchtoo.org/badge.gif[/img]

and it'll resize:

The width is specified in pixels; I recommend 300 pixels for any image wider than that, so that it will match the attachment thumbnails. You can then be sure that threads will render properly on as many screen sizes as possible. If the image is less than 300 pixels wide, you can leave the width directive out and you'll be fine.