Author Topic: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)  (Read 14449 times)

Offworld

• Charter Member
Re: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Was something to do with page layout altered midway through yesterday evening?

Sunshine

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »
Offworld,

What happened?

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
On this desktop computer -- the OS of which is Windows XP -- I've been using an elderly version of Firefox (3.6, actually**) for browsing forums. The forum displayed perfectly till sometime around 9pm (?), and then on refresh-page suddenly changed to the entire framework having disappeared.
But there's no problem in any other browsers I've since tried, whether old or latest.

** less fuss than the current one.
On Windows-7 using laptop, I've set Opera to be the default browser since it can be configured more than Firefox to avoid the contemporary look presumably designed to match and suit internet-going phones, tablets and whatever.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
I was in town today (cue Knightbridge March, ok I know it was  In town Tonight) and notice the Xmas decs going up. Got me thinking, should we have some Xmas smileys. Used to have some on the old BBC Ouch site, with some other winter themed ones.

I know you are busy Sunshine, but just a thought.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
Offworld,

Firefox 3.6 !!!! gosh it is more than likely your system sit up did something rather than anything here. Is there any reason you have not upgraded at least to Firefox 7? :-)

Everyone,

I am using the most up to date version of Simple Machines Forum to provide this message board and I am able to see how it works on my computers using Firefox 7 and 8, Google Chrome, IE 8, Windows Vista and Windows 7. To my knowledge the board will work with old versions of software, but there will be odd limits to what I (or anyone else can do). I am know some people cant afford to upgrade their computers or are used to how the software they have works but where possible people should try to keep their software packages up to date.

oldtone,

I am already ahead of you but not until December. If in the meantime you wish to find more Christmas smilies and post them in the smilie thread, it will save me some work later on.

Everyone (again)

As everyone is more settled in I am moving this thread to the Learning Zone. Please feel free to ask more questions and comment there.

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »
Firefox 3.6 !!!! gosh it is more than likely your system sit up did something rather than anything here. Is there any reason you have not upgraded at least to Firefox 7?
Just that it's been less bother than later versions, some tried and then rejected...
Windows XP regular update last week, with no problems afterwards.
Updated Firefox's plug-ins and extensions then as well.
The old Firefox browser hasn't had a significant problem with any websites till yesterday. Still doesn't, on any others. That's why I was curious if there had been an alteration last night to this site....
(btw, using an Explorer clone for reading and posting on "Ouch" now, and it's fine)

Run the latest versions of everything on our laptop (Toshiba Satellite P750-114); but dislike the design path which browsers as a whole have taken this last while; Opera proved to be the most retro-configurable.

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2011, 06:33:13 PM »
Looked at the error-console in the old Firefox; seems like it's obsolescence has finally caught up with it in something it cannot ignore....