Author Topic: Confusing ATOS letter is Confusing  (Read 3976 times)

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
Confusing ATOS letter is Confusing
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
I just got a letter from ATOS. It came in a white envelope, so I wasn't expecting it to be from them, but it's definitely from ATOS. It says so on the top  >crying<

I've got to fill in a form and I can, if I so wish because they're thoughtful like that   >devil<, get medical documentation to back up my claim.

In bold letters it says "Send Medical Documentation along with your questionnaire if you think it will help your claim"

and then a couple of paragraphs down, in normal writing, it says "Do not send Medical Documentation along with your questionnaire, send it to the DWP who will process your claim"

So, clearly, this is just a ploy to make me call up and ask for clarification. And because I can use the phone, I'll probably be declared fit for work on the spot! Because anyone who can use a phone can work in a call centre 9 to 5, or an admin's office, or in a barrel making factory.

How very clever of them. Moriarty has nothing on them!  >steam<
A man got sick because of officiate.

hossylass

Re: Confusing ATOS letter is Confusing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
Send it to both.

If you can scan it in as a picture I will get this out to someone who will question the phrasing.

:(

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
Okeedokee! One scanned picture coming soon to a R&B post near you! (The next one ;-))

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
Good grief, talk about double-speak...

Arses and elbows come to mind!

hossylass

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
Cheers Red&Blue.

I think we have oodles on advice on here about filling it in, but ask if you are struggling, or just need some moral support !

TimRegency

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
I bet they'll conveniently suspend their 'phone/call centre' attitude when it comes to Deaf people.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:50:05 PM »
It seems in my panic, I misremembered slightly. There's no paragraph in between the conflicting statements but that seems to make it even worse!

This is the first time ever I've attached a document to a forum post, so here's hoping this works and that i've got a good size between humongous and unreadibly tiny!

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
I bet they'll conveniently suspend their 'phone/call centre' attitude when it comes to Deaf people.

I'm not so sure! From what I've read on blogs and forums, they'll press the convenience of Access to Work and how "helpful" they can be at providing equipment for jobs people would otherwise be unsuitable for.

And then of course, they've been pushed into taking the job, A2W can't magic up equipment the equipment cos it doesn't actually work in the way the person in question would need it to and it's all a pigs ear!

Or events to that affect.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
It seems that the first sentance deals with medical evidence. The second specifically refers to 'medical statements' such as sicknotes (now called 'Fitnotes' of course).

Becca7

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
I had the same letter, my support worker got it clarified for me. The first bit refers specifically to letters you obtain to backup your claims regarding how your conditions affect you *specifically*, e.g. Gp, consultant, ot etc (which can result in a charge) and the second is regarding sick notes (or whatever they are called these days) . So I sent a letter from my gp and ot to ATOS *only*.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
Oh!

Well, that clears that up for me. Thank you!

Bad way of putting it on their part, though.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »

Bad way of putting it on their part, though.

Yes, I agree.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
It's almost as if they want to us all to fall into the same trap...

There's no suitable emoticon, but just imagine a tiny smily here twiddling their moustache, deviously, and a bunch of smilies in wheelchairs and on crutchers with quesitonmarks above their heads.

hossylass

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
OK, after much faffing I managed to get this off to our favourite MP ;)

Dear Anne,

Sorry to impose this on you, but I am concerned.

Could you ask for an explanation of the following?

On the QR1 03/11 form from Atos that accompanies the ESA50 form there is almost a� direct contradiction, see attached.

Send medical documents with your questionnaire, don't send medical statements with your questionnaire.

The line below which explains what a statement is could be construed as a report or other medical document.

I am perplexed how Atos and the DWP can think that claimant's will not get confused by this.
What is the difference (to an ordinary person) of a doctor's statement and a medical report from the doctor?

It would make more sense for all information to be sent together, or that further clarification on the form is required.
The claimant who highlighted this is migrating from IB to ESA.
They don't get sick notes due to being PCA exempt. Now they are confused what to ask their GP for. If anything.

This form is causing further problems, especially when you consider the target recipient group. I am not suggesting it is deliberate, but it is certainly not empathetically written.

Is there anyway that this can be rewritten to avoid the confusion and clearly identify what is NEEDED, what is desirable, and what should be sent to whom and why?

Perhaps you could forward this to Lisa Coleman, Atos and whoever you think may have some influence over this. I would do so but I know it would not be considered.

Many thanks, and I hope the rehab is not too arduous, and you are enjoying the much improved weather.

Regards,
Caroline.

=============================================================================
I have made the assumption that you are being migrated, to make the point that a sick not may not be applicable, so what the hell do they want?
So what do they want, who is to get it etc as the form is ambiguous to say the least.

I recognise the wording is not quite suitable for all, but its hard to phrase these thigns in a way that doesn't make us look stupid, but does point out the distinct possibility of confusion.

Becca7

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
Hossy, thats a good letter. Clarification is definitely necessary on the letter.