Author Topic: 'We need all our young people working and contributing' says Grayling  (Read 1097 times)

AccessOfficer

• Charter Member and Volunteer Building Regs and Inclusive Design
Employment Minister, Chris Grayling, said: ďMany other countries donít allow young people to claim any benefits at all until they have made contributions through a job. This trial will give a clear idea of the impact of an approach that says, effectively, you canít get something back until you have put something in.Ē
Tosh, tosh and more tosh!

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2012/aug-2012/dwp093-12.shtml

Best wishes
AO

JLR

• Gardening Leave
Re: 'We need all our young people working and contributing' says Grayling
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »
God forbid that Chris Grayling ever comes within my grasp, I will kill him.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »
And where are all the jobs for these young people?

When I visited the USSR, back in the 80's, they had virtually 100% employment. We understood how when we saw people sweeping the street with old-fashioned 'besoms' and visited shops where 3 people did the job that 1 would do here. Increasing automation and efficency does away with jobs and I don't see that the clock can be turned back now. Of course, the goverment can go some way towards creating jobs, but I don't think we will ever again see the days when there is enough work to go round.

Prabhakari

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
I have heard that the sewers get blocked.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Becca7

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »
Not that i agree with the fool (apologies if that offends any fools) but I want to know what happens to those already being paid to do those jobs at the moment. Can you imagine being paid to do those jobs now and learning its to be given to the unemployed? This is creating unemployment, not solving it.

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
Many young people do not have experience. If people can't get experience, (which most jobs require) how can they work?

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
Many young people do not have experience. If people can't get experience, (which most jobs require) how can they work?

Ahah! The age-old conundrum. According to the government these days, it's by volunteering and unpaid apprenticeships. And if you can't afford to do volunteering or unpaid apprenticeships, sucks to be you.

I think 10 years ago the answer was more employees giving newbies a chance, a longer learning period to get experience. Businesses don't have the time for that anymore because to most business, time is money.
A man got sick because of officiate.

Ricardomeister

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
Of course we need all our young people (that are healthy enough) working and contributing......in proper jobs or apprenticeships/training that lead to proper jobs. Is that what is happening? I would say a resounding no!

As for Mr Honesty himself, I notice that he does not mention any of the "many other countries". Far be it for me to question someone of such great integrity, but it would be nice to see this long list. If it is many OECD counties then fair enough, but if it is many countries like China, India, Indonesia and other sweatshop countries then that is a different matter.

JLR

• Gardening Leave
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
I'd just wish Grayling DEAD! how he meets his death is of no consequence the more agonising and slow the better.

Sofie

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
So, they want young people working. No objection to that. But they're also raising the retirement age. Where's the logic?

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
JLRRAC
ask him to do a full days manual labour for the minimum wage & he probably would drop dead

Monic

devine63

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »
"So, they want young people working. No objection to that. But they're also raising the retirement age. Where's the logic?"

The logic is they want to increase the number of workers (young, middle aged and older) paying income tax and decrease the number of younger and older people claiming benefits / pensions....
regards, Deb 
regards, Deb

[devine63]