Author Topic: Odd Moments  (Read 14469 times)

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Odd Moments
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »
Just wanted to share what seemed to me a rather strange experience well it seemed strange to me. While standing in the cue at the local co-op shop yesterday I happened to notice that the chap next to me in the cue was carrying an Axe and I could not help but wonder what his intentions were I must admit to being somewhat nervous I looked around but no one else seemed to be bothered by the fact that this person was in the shop with a deadly weapon no police stormed in with guns and tazers at the ready and the staff did not seem in the least perturbed so I paid for my purchase and hastily left. I suppose that if he had been carrying say a white stick instead of a tree felling axe every one would have been running around screaming in terror and the police would have been called.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: Odd Moments
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
Perhaps he was going to chop some wood. A few years ago nobody would have bothered as the assumption would have been that the chap was going to work, or perhaps had just bought the axe to do some work.

Axe murderers have been around a long time but they are a pretty rare species. I don't think an axe is the weapon of choice for the average terrorist which seems to be today's main concern.

Maybe he just wanted to chop white sticks.  >whistle<

Anyhow I think IJ was in the wrong cue. He should have been cueing in another Queue.  >erm<

Prabhakari

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »
He was being nostalgic, remembering when he learned how to ride his chopper (bike).
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
Quite so oldtone should not take to much notice of my spell checker from now on I actually wrote Queue and the yankee spell checker changed it must have thought I was talking a load of old billiard balls oh well oh hum It was still quite odd there are only two forests round here thats Nottingam Forest Foot ball club and Sherwood Forest and neither have many trees.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »
Just had a thought maybe it has something to do with genetic memory as so many of my ancestors came to a sticky end at the hands of an Axe Man that a person standing behind me with an Axe just makes me a little nervous.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
Spell checkers can do that sort of thing and so can speech translators.

The New Forest around here has plenty of trees but also many open areas. Apparently, although it derives from wooded area, in English it originally meant an area used for hunting so trees weren't obligatory. We seem to have reverted to the earlier meaning.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Yes to be truthful Sherwood Forrest still has plenty of trees including 900  Oak trees including the ancient Major Oak  though in the 1200's it used to cover over one fifth of the county so it is much smaller than it used to be.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
You don't think that bloke with the axe chopped them down do you?

Mind you there's a bloke in court down our way accused of having a neighbour's tree chopped down so he could have a better view. Had his mate do it in the dead of night apparently.

Your right, some strange folk about.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
Strange folk!

A few weeks ago I went into the city centre at night for someone's leaving so. There is no parking directly outside the pub I was going to, so I parked on a junction opposite, and which is facing another pub which had a group of blokes smoking outside. One of them asked me if I wanted any help. No thanks I said and that was that...until another drinker followed me and started asking where I was going and if I wanted any help getting there. "Just there,'' I said, pointing towards the pub I was heading towards. "Let me take you there,'' he replied. "There's really no need,'' I said but he kept on at me so I had to say: "Look mate, it's easier for me to do it myself." "Do you want me to leave you alone?" he went. "Yes please,'' I said. At which he started hitting himself on the head. Rather hard. Actually punching his own forehead. As they say, WTF?

Prabhakari

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
A frustrated do-gooder, Jockice.
You spoilt his moment to look good.

Hang your head and other things in shame.  ;-)
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »
A frustrated drunk do-gooder....

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
Only thing worse is two drunk do-gooders.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Why do I keep messing up the italics?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
I don't know but I'm certainly not going to offer to help.  >biggrin<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
Just punch yourself John. That'll do for me.