Author Topic: Motabilty claims limit  (Read 5846 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member
Motabilty claims limit
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
Car trouble!

On Tuesday afternoon I took a break from my 'studies' to go to the shop and buy some coffee and was in a crash on a nearby road. Not my fault, the other driver suddenly pulled out of his office car park directly into my path. There was no way I could stop or avoid him.

My car was pretty much stoved in at the front and may even have to be written off. I spoke to Royal And Sun Alliance insurers and they were fine about it, sorting out a courtesy car and saying it was my right of way and I was in no way to blame (even though the other driver claimed when we were exchanging details that he'd 'just nosed out' and I was 'well over' the speed limit. Both of which are nonsense. You don't hit someone head-on who's just nosed out and I've driven on that road practically day for the last two decades, and I know what it's like - a connecting road to two main roads, cars parked on both sides, pretty busy most of the time, so you have to keep pulling in to let other vehicles go past. It's practically impossible to even get up to the speed limit, let alone exceed it.

Fair enough, but it's my third claim in six months or so. The first one wasn't my fault either, in fact I wasn't even in the car at the time. Believe it or not I'd left it on the sloping road outside a pub because the car park was full and another driver had done the same further up - and actually round a corner - but had neglected to check the handbrake was on.  The second claim was my fault but was a very minor scraped paintwork job from a parking position into another non-moving vehicle (which incidentally happened because my hand control had rusted up. The following day it seized up altogether and I had to get the RAC out). Unfortunately the other driver and his prat of a passenger made a huge fuss and put in a personal injury claim. Because they can. And because they're liars.

Now I've read and also heard anecdotally that nowadays RSA Motability will refuse to insure any driver who has made three claims in the three-year lease period whether they are at fault or not. I had trouble with them at the start of the century when they refused to insure me because I'd made an excessive number of claims during my previous lease. It was more than three though, and most - but not all - had been my fault. However they let me back on after a couple of years or being privately insured without a claim and I've since switched to hand controls and have had a practically claim-free* decade.

Does anyone know if this 'three strikes and you're out' rule is true or just an urban myth? Seems jolly unfair if it is, so I'd better get my complaint letter ready. Right, I'm off to the crash repair centre to pick up my blue badge etc from what remains of my car.

*The only claim I can remember making since 2002 was around five years ago when a woman taking her kids to school and obviously distracted by them reversed out of her drive straight into the side of my car. She admitted fault though, so that was sorted out pretty easily. It was on the same road as Tuesday's incident though. So disabled drivers, please avoid Broomgrove Road. It's a death trap.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:02:23 PM by SunshineMeadows »

Jockice

• Charter Member
Re: Motabilty claims limit
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
"The second claim was my fault but was a very minor scraped paintwork job from a0 parking position into another non-moving vehicle (which incidentally happened because my hand control had rusted up. The following day it seized up altogether and I had to get the RAC out). Unfortunately the other driver and his prat of a passenger made a huge fuss and put in a personal injury claim. Because they can. And because they're liars."

Incidentally, in that one I didn't make a claim, I had a claim against me. There was no damage to either car as far as I could see. I offered to pay for a respray if that's what the other driver wanted (even though there was at very worst a small scratch. He even said he'd have to get it cleaned first to see if there was any damage, but obviously his eyes had lit up at the thought of getting compensation for a non-existent injury.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Jockice

I don't know the answr to your question but the insurance policy is online here http://www.motability.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/document/bw9f/mdmz/~edisp/mo_033132.pdf

maybe you can read it - sorry I hate reading docs online  :-(

Monic

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
Ta Monic. I've had a brief look through and there is nothing as far as I can see about the number of claims made. We'll see what happens.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
Jockice,

I kept forgetting to post to this thread so sorry for the delay. I did do some background research and in general people are saying if you have three or more claims it can make things difficult when the car comes up for renewal. However I also found bits and pieces where people were saying that Motability do allow people with three or more claims to renew their car lease but the customer might have to pay extra because of and increase in the cost of insuring them as a driver.

One interesting aspect of this is that I paid for a new wing mirror after the one on our car was vandalised so as to not make a claim. I was avoiding making a claim because I was going to buy the car when the lease ran out and I was thinking about when the time came to get my own car insurance. About a year later a big dent appeared on the bonnet so I rang Motability and the kind person I talked to said as long as the dent did not affect the functionality of the car I could leave it. In the end I did renew the the car lease and get a new car, a bloke at the dealership assessed the old car and I was given 400 back despite the big dent.

Maybe give Motability a call and see what they say or even go online an get a car insurance quote to see is the previous claims result in high premiums.

I checked the document on the link Monic gave and all I found was this bit,

LOOKING AFTER THE VEHICLE AND
ALTERNATIVE VEHICLE AND TAKING
REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS

The Hirer and any Driver must do everything possible to prevent loss or damage, keep any Vehicle or Alternative Vehicle in good condition and take reasonable precautions to prevent accidents. RSA must be able to inspect the Vehicle or Alternative Vehicle at all reasonable times

When accidents are not your fault it has to count against you less than if they were your fault.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
Ta Sunshine Meadows. I don't mind paying a bit extra insurance money to RSA, but I'd prefer not to have to go through all the rigmarole of buying a car myself, getting it adapted, getting it insured etc. I like the Motability lease scheme.

When I had the 'accident' in November (the one in which I seriously injured two people by slightly scratching their paintwork) I did ask one of the guys I spoke to from RSA if it would affect my place on the scheme and he assured me that it wouldn't as I didn't have a bad record for crashes. So to have a real crash two months later was not what I had planned. The RSA people I've spoken to so far have been really nice and assured me that it wasn't my fault (which it definitely wasn't) but of course I don't know what the other guy's said to his insurer. He went straight back into his office to phone them up after the crash while I was left in the car park (although to be fair what seemed to be his secretary did bring me a cup of coffee and asked if I wanted to come up to the office and sit down. It was up a flight of stairs though so I said no (I just wasn't in the mood for stairs) and she did come down later and check if I was alright and order me a taxi home. The man himself also came back out to say goodbye just as I was leaving. It's actually probably within walking distance even for me but I was shaking and feeling dizzy.)

As for mysterious dents, when they'd picked my car up a bloke from the crash repair place rang me up and said that there was a dent on one of the passenger side doors that I hadn't reported to RSA and he wondered if it was part of the accident or something else. I haven't a clue. I just told them that the front had been damaged. It's possible that I scraped it against the wall when trying to pull into the car park but I genuinely don't know. I was in a state of shock.

He then rang RSA who apparently asked him if the damage looked fresh and he said yes, so they have put it down  as part of this claim. I don't check the passenger side daily (my car's parked side-on outside and I reverse it out of the drive) and hadn't had anyone else in the car for a few days previously, so I'm putting it down as a 'don't know' and hope that it doesn't cause any problems. My car had been for it's annual service a couple of weeks before and it certainly wasn't there then.

I think (or at least hope) everything's going to be alright but dealing with insurers, banks etc totally does my nut in. It's one of my least favourite things in life. When the woman reversed into me on the same road a few years ago I totally panicked because I had six points on my licence and I hadn't told RSA. But they didn't make a fuss when I did tell them when reporting the accident and I don't have any now.

Surely one (and I can never stress this enough, very minor, even if I apparently caused terrible injuries to two strapping young lads) at-fault claim in 12 years (or 14 if you count my two years with Privilege) doesn't make me that much of an insurance risk. Fingers crossed.

I'll stop going on about it now. I'm even boring myself.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »
Don't worry about boring us.  Yawn.  Oh, yes, it is the shock you know.  It is quite OK to get angry and then anxious.   >hugs<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »
I need sleep!

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
 >doh< I was so focused on answering the questions about Motability that I did not say anything about the accident you had on Tuesday.

Belated  >bighugs< and  >chocolate<

Are you still feeling the affects? I have had a few near misses and find it really difficult to keep driving afterwords. It can take away the confidence I gained from having hand controls.

Did you get a courtesy car you can drive yet or are you left using taxis?

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
It happens. I'm still a bit shaken and have a bit of pain (above and beyond what I usually have that is) but

Yeah, they sorted out a courtesy car within a couple of days. With a temporary hand control. Different to what I'm used to but I've used them a couple of times before. RSA left me a message yesterday saying the car actually was a write off but they would contact Motability about me getting another one on lease and meanwhile I was to keep the courtesy car. I went to the crash repair place today and put all the stuff from it in the courtesy car. And got soaked in the process.

My confidence has gone though, so I'm keeping driving down to the bare minimum at the moment.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
...but...I've totally forgotten what I was going to put at the end of that sentence...

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »
What a horrible experience.  I've never been in a car accident, so have no idea what it's like.  Hope you bounce back soon.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
Hope you are soon back to your usual self.  Shock can be horrible. >mug-tea< >bighugs<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:51 AM »
Jockice,

It is good to read you have a courtesy car you can drive and I hope you feel less shaken up soon.

If it were me the car being a write off would have knocked my confidence more than if it had been fixable, but then Mr Sunshine would have reminded me about how his Triumph Trophy motorbike was written off after thieves broke the steering lock.

...but...I've totally forgotten what I was going to put at the end of that sentence...

I have been doing that loads today. I wrote out one post about 6 times before I knew what I was going to say when I clicked on reply  >lol< I could blame the cats pestering me or distracting CP symptoms but in my case today its been  >confusedgif<

starsmurf

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

I have been doing that loads today. I wrote out one post about 6 times before I knew what I was going to say when I clicked on reply  >lol< I could blame the cats pestering me or distracting CP symptoms but in my case today its been  >confusedgif<

Sunshine,

Please forgive me for being worrywort but is this since you hit your head?  I hope you get your spoons back ASAP >spoonarmy<
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.