Author Topic: How to use icons and which icons can you use?  (Read 931 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
How to use icons and which icons can you use?
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
I am putting this thread in Talk for a day or so after which it will be moved to the Learning Zone.

The new icons have been added to Ouch Too to better label the topics on the various boards so people can more easily choose or avoid topics depending on their personal preference.

See the attachments  >attachment< below for how to add icons. If the picture is too small click on it to make it bigger.

If you have any questions or comments about the icons you can post them to this thread.
I do still have some work to do eg I might be able to to improve the colour match, I still have a few icons that can be added but I want to wait and see what is getting used and how.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How to use icons and which icons can you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
The forum software allows me to decide if an icon appears on one specific board eg the Cafe or on all the boards but it does not allow me to pick say 3 boards and exclude 2 and this is why I have set them in a particular order from top to bottom.

The Warning triangle is available on every board.

The Talk, News and Current Affairs, Disability Q and A, Welfare Rights, Management Feedback, Campaigning and also The Learning Zone have these  >attachment< icons.

The names on the icons should help you know which icon can be used for what. Please bare in mind the DWP IDS icon is to be used when the thread you are starting is about IDS or some upsetting DWP information. For the time being if a thread does not have a new icon attached to it I am going in and adding one. This is to help people see how to use the icons on various topics

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
The Cafe also has these icons  >attachment< and I have listed them at the beginning so you need to look from the top down for the cafe icons.

Please note you must be in the Cafe when you are starting a Cafe thread to see these icons.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
I did the same with the icons for the 3am board eg looking at the list you will see old icons first and then those icons listed in page 1 and 2 in message 2 of this thread.

I am not going to go in and add icons to threads on the 3am Board, the people posting there can decide for themselves if they want to add icons from the list to their threads.

You will notice the icons I just showed you that are for use in the Cafe do not show on the 3am boards list. I figure people using the 3am board would like the thread listing to look a bit 'calmer'

>attachment<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
 >attachment< icons that only show on the News and Current Affairs board.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
I moved this thread from the Learning Zone so I could make a comment.

I want to get back to routinely adding icons to threads which have been started with just the default icon. The reason for this is to enhance the look and feel of Ouch Too and keep its more unique identity.

There are people using the plainer version of the Ouch Too format who cant be expected to add icons to their threads and I am happy to add them. However it occurred to me today that some of those people may object to me picking an icon for them so I was thinking if people would like to let me know they want the icon to be left as the default one I could avoid editing those threads.

Also in general is it better I mention the reason for the edit in the opening post or just leave the reason unsaid?

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
I don't mind them being added if they make it easier for other users but if they are added to threads that don't already have them, would it be possible to state what has been added, e.g. "added stats icon"? 
The only icons attached to threads that I can see are either the default or warning triangle and I would find it hard to deal with more colours & more graphics.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
would it be possible to state what has been added, e.g. "added stats icon"?

I can do that for anyone who is using the plainer format but they would need to request it here or via PM.

I will take your post as a request and will add a description of the icon when I add one. If I forget to please feel okay about nudging me on the thread, here, or via PM
 :-)