Author Topic: NoSquint  (Read 911 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
NoSquint
« on: June 11, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
Firefox has updated but NoSquint doesn't work any more.

Edit - I've found zoom text + colour toggle works.  Not as good as no squint in some ways but maybe better in others.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:08:19 PM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SashaQ

• Charter Member
Re: NoSquint
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
Thank you.  I haven't tried it but I will.

I was in tears this morning and then perked up a bit with the alternatives people gave me.  Anyway, having spent time getting those right, I don't feel up to trying no squint plus today, but I'll try it out very soon.

Thank you for telling me about it.  It's very kind of you.

Incidentally, I don't know whether I've ever mentioned it, but I don't cope well with strong contrast so most stuff that's designed to help people with poor eyesight is a nightmare.  The shiny black on vivid yellow stuff you get from eye clinics is unreadable for me until I've photocopied it greyscale onto white paper, preferably not the extra-white paper you can get.  Worse still is white on black.  Aargh!

I wish sites like this would let me type into a pastel box but very few sites do.  But at least with add-ons I can make most of the rest of what I read manageable.

I'm smiling at the thought that in a way, people like you, and other Ouchtoo-ers, and in a few other places in my life, are sort of human add-ons to my life to make it so it works for me.  They come with extra features like kindess and informativeness.  I'm still working on how to switch the 'annoys me' feature on some of my human add-ons, but it's tolerable given the positive features.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
It is upsetting when really good functionality is taken away all of a sudden...

It is my pleasure to be an add-on for you, though >biggrin< - I know what you mean, as I too have some lovely human add-ons here and in other places with really helpful extra features that make my life better  >biggrin<

I know a bit about what you mean about the high contrast stuff, too, as my eye muscles are a bit weird because of CP so I find low contrast easier to read - I have my laptop screen brightness turned down and I like the custom settings for this software so I choose the dark blue text on pale blue background one, but I see the typing box is white and there is no option to change it.  The box can be reduced in size by using the dots in the bottom right hand corner, but that's all I could find to do.

All the best  >mug-tea<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »
 >mug-tea<

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »
What is your experience of using Google Chrome browser?

There is an add-on extension that you can have on Chrome browser where you can change the webpage to a variety of contrasts.  You can have yellow on black, inverted grayscale, inverted colour (light text on darker background) and a few other colour schemes.

In Opera browser I think you have can add the Dark Theme which inverts the colour scheme of the webpage. Doesn't change the Google search page, just makes the search box black. The background stays a hideous glaring brilliant white.  >crying<

A black text on a light or medium grey background. Black on grey is very easy to read some some people.

How to Invert Your Browser's Colors for Easier Reading at Night.

https://lifehacker.com/5912480/how-to-invert-your-browsers-colors-for-easier-reading-at-night
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:48:27 PM by Dark_Divinity »
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
I don't want to go near google Chrome any more than I'd use a google search engine or unblock them from my ghostery.

I could try Opera.

Having said that, the examples you describe would, I think, be very difficult for me to read.  What matters to me is to reduce the contrast as far as possible and to get rid of plain whites.  Ideal colour contrast for me for reading is brown on cream.

I may have to try Opera for all I know.  I've resisted installing the new version of Firefox until I 've discovered which add-ons work with it, but I'm anxious about it.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Which browser did you use to make brown text on cream background on webpages?

July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
I've just been on the mozilla discussion forums reading the problems people are having with their upgrades to the latest firefox.  I note that a lot of them are having problems with lost bookmarks as well, so I may want to change browser anyway, once I've found a way of saving my bookmarks.

I suppose I shouldn't complain since the browser is free, but even so, it's frustrating. 

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
NoSquintPlus add-on to Firefox.

You can change the settings for each site individually, which it remembers, and also have default settings.