Author Topic: PIP and ESA cuts are a massive failure, says OBR  (Read 1048 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
PIP and ESA cuts are a massive failure, says OBR
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3560-pip-and-esa-cuts-are-a-massive-failure-says-obr

PIP and ESA cuts are a massive failure, says OBR
Category: Latest news   Created: Tuesday, 11 October 2016 20:38

The government’s attempts to cut disability benefits spending by 20% with the introduction of personal independence payment (PIP) have been a dramatic failure, the Office for Budget responsibility’s Welfare trends report released today has found. Employment and support allowance cuts have also fallen far short of their targets.

The OBR estimates that the introduction of PIP reduced spending by just £0.1 billion in 2015-16 rather than the £1.4 billion that the planned 20% cut in spending would have achieved.

In part this is because the forced transfer of claimants from DLA to PIP is so far behind schedule. But the OBR estimates that even when completed, the change from DLA to PIP will result in only a 5% reduction in spending, rather than 20%.

The time limiting of contributory ESA for the work-related activity group was expected by the coalition to save £2.0 billion in 2015-16. In fact, it saved just £0.2 billion as the affected group was much smaller than anticipated.

The full OBR report can be downloaded from this link.

http://budgetresponsibility.org.uk/docs/dlm_uploads/Welfare-Trends-Report.pdf

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: PIP and ESA cuts are a massive failure, says OBR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
fascinating

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »
 >tah<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »
Thank you for posting it: I read it with interest.

I'm afraid that all the way through I was niggling over what wasn't said.

The glossing over cutbacks in other areas that affect it, like a vague reference to an increase in mental health problems but no mention that I spotted that that's probably related (a) to cutbacks in mental health services and (b) political policies that do everything from branding children as failures if they can't pass life-irrelevant tests, through to leaving vast numbers of young people on the dole with bleak financial and social futures.  They didn't even touch upon things like cutbacks in provision of things like mobility equipment from other sources leaving people needing to buy them or contribute ever more towards the cost of them.

Likewise, the references to expected reductions in claims and bewilderment that they might have increased (for the same people) without considering that if you make it hard for people to get help they genuinely need, they may well get help and support and find that not only are they in need of the help they were getting but actually they're eligible for more.

No mention that I could see of the impact of massive cutbacks to local authority budgets.  People that otherwise would simply have used their local day centre for free or been content with council carers helping them suddenly find themselves without those things and seek other ways of getting them; or in other words thanks to local authority provision there was previously underclaiming.

More people living more disabled years focussing on people treated for conditions like cancer with precious little acknowledgement of what I (having grown up with a relative who worked in a maternity hospital) think of as 'incubator babies'.  Of course, that's a shorthand, but there is that sticky issue of an  increase over the years of babies born with incurable, support-needing impairments and living longer.  But we can't go into that in reports like this, because of the entanglement with current topics on whether people should abort babies with Down's or other 'unwanted' conditions.  Very messy.   (I'm only alive due to multiple blood transfusions but since there is, to my knowledge, no suggestion of a link between that and my multiple impairments, I'm not seen as having been unworthy to be born, so I'm twitchy about the notion that we seem to be heading back towards some sort of eugenic era.  No, not twitchy, angry.  What makes me worthy to live, not someone else?)

So very many issues that are being glossed over. 

And when it comes to this sort of political rubbish, I find myself very aware that there's such a poisonous mixture of people that are deliberately withdrawing the means to keep people alive and people who genuinely believe there are loads of fakes and scroungers. 

So I read a report like this and it's not what it says that I focus on, but what it doesn't say.  It doesn't say "In the name of austerity we're taking the basics away from people, we're making not only the quality of their lives worse but we're taking away the essentials they rely on, and then when they try to find other ways of getting them, we pretend the increase in claims for individual financial help must be fraudulent or similar."

Such a depressing report.  I wouldn't want to have not read it, but sometimes I wish I could just storm into Parliament and scream "Just tell the truth, you lying scum, just be open and honest about what you're actually doing to people.  If you believe this right, have the courage and decency to say so."

Sadly, there would be no point because with a psychiatric diagnosis, they'd simply write me off as mad and use it as an opportunity for more dishonest spin.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
"Just tell the truth, you lying scum, just be open and honest about what you're actually doing to people.  If you believe this right, have the courage and decency to say so."

Join the club.

I am still puzzled as to why Mo Stewart's latest book has been selling very strongly since it was published and not a mention in the media/press anywhere.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Because those journalists that aren't trying to please neoliberal bosses don't see it as being of interest to a wide audience.  They wouldn't do a write up on a book on the latest theories on the mating habits of toads either.

The government and the media have so successfully made us 'other' that we're not of interest to anyone.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)