Author Topic: Independent Living Items at supermarkets/mail order.  (Read 1166 times)

AndMac

• Charter Member
Independent Living Items at supermarkets/mail order.
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »
Periodically Aldi and Lidl have independent living items for sale in their Specialbuys / weekly offers.

I've mentioned these before but I thought I'd start a special thread for them. Aldi also do mail order for a limited quantity of Specialbuys.

From Thursday 9th this week Aldi have a few independent living items available. Not as many as usual, hopefully there will be another selection of items before too many months have passed.

One of them is a safety step with handle which is something my occupational therapist tried and failed to source for me. At 14.99 it is substantially cheaper than any other I've seen and identical to one retailing for 25 on Amazon. I've ordered one post free from their online shop:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-step-with-hand-rail/p/070890065002400

There is a knee pillow, neck pillow and back  pillow too. The knee pillow and neck pillows are sold out online, luckily for me I'd ordered my knee pillow whilst they were still in stock.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/knee-orthopaedic-pillow/p/049249031860501

The other items available are insoles, reading glasses and large print puzzle books.

Lidl don't do online sales but have some fitness equipment from 12th Feb that includes a balance cushion and a blood pressure monitor: http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=1071
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
Re: Independent Living Items at supermarkets/mail order.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:15:43 AM »
I've built up some Nectar points, (through doing surveys, mostly)  but I don't have a  Sainsbury's handy, so I thought I would look at independent living items on Argos.

Well... Everything, but everything, was more expensive than it is on Amazon, and significantly so. 30 more on a rollator, 4 more on a picker-upper.  I used to spend a fair amount of money in Argos, but I tend to use Amazon and Wilkinson's now for home items.

On the evidence of what  I saw today I won't be making a purchase any time soon.

I've been told the independent living items I ordered from Aldi are on their way - one parcel is  with Hermes and the other - probably the larger one- is with Yodel.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
Knee cushion from Aldi's Specialbuys has arrived and looks very good quality. Looking forward to seeing how this helps me to get comfortable in bed. Look out for it in store if you have an Aldi locally and a need for one.

The bathroom/kitchen step with grab handle is still enroute - sent via Hermes, and taking a little while longer to arrive.

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
The stool arrived today, and what a faff to assemble. The instructions were incorrect - the holes to pass a screw through had been drilled at a different angle, so it was impossible to follow them correctly. At first I thought it was me and couldn't work out what I'd done wrong, but it isn't.  The product can be correctly assembled but you have to work out how to do it yourself.

Someone else had the same issue and posted about it in their review, they overcame it in a slightly different way. I hope Aldi heed the reviews - I have posted one too -  and pay attention to the issue.

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Lidl have some independent living items in stock at the moment. The nearest one to me is a really busy one and had sold out of some products after one day, but they had support pillows for 6.99, leg wedges for 11.99, picker-uppers with hook and magnet for 3.99. Walking sticks with standard handles and 11 length adjusts are 3.99.

Diabetic socks for men and women are 1.99 for 2 pairs and good quality, I got these for my swollen ankles. There is a 2.99 pill organiser and a foot cycle for 14.99, no good for me.

Not to forget the talking BP monitor for 19.99

Dorothy Parker

JLR2

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
I don't know quite why it is but apart from the one Aldi store in Inverness there are no others anywhere else north of there. Lidl has a few stores up here now, two of which are only about 20 miles apart which given the area, Sutherland, is fairly close to each other. It would be nice to see a couple or so more Aldis up here. As it is I am more likely to be in the Aldi store in Berlin sooner than the o the Inverness store in Inverness, a because for one it requires me to make a 100+ mile round trip and second I'll be in Berlin in a couple of weeks.

AndMac, I really like what you have been doing in trying to bring to everyone's attention the offers of products available at Aldi that can help make our lives that little bit easier.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
Thanks, I'd missed seeing the reply! 
I haven't seen anything recently that ticks the boxes re Independent Living Items for Aldi mail order.

My niece has just moved to near Inverness, incidentally, her husband comes from there, and they want to be near his family.
He'll be commuting to his job down South, and building up frequent flyer points.

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »
Lidl have some healthcare items from this Sunday, including a 30 heated overblanket, these are wonderful, and very moneysaving. Mine from Aldi has lasted four winters. They cost about the same as a lightbulb to run.

Dorothy Parker

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
 >thumbsup< >star<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »
Aldi have my undying gratitude over something they don't sell as being for disabled but solved a problem.

I have attentional memory problems (i.e. I'm scatterbrained) and I'm also not terribly safe in general with cooking.  Previous experiences include full-thickness burns and blowing up a microwave on convection setting.  On advice from others, I bought from Aldi a little counter-top oven with top and bottom heating elements (grill and bake).  It has short legs and vents on all sides, including the base.  It has turn-dials like a cheap microwave.  It cools really fast when the dial goes 'ping'. The 'safety' cooker of my dreams.  Ever since then, I've looked not just at the stuff they sell as independent living or whatever, but other stuff, because they have some really simple, practical items.  Sometimes trying to produce an item that's cheap but reliable (to  match the image Aldi and Lidl like to project) also produces an item perfect for people that have special needs of one sort or another.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)