Author Topic: So cold..  (Read 1384 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: So cold..
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »
steve, did you ever buy a heated throw?  I remember suggesting it last year when it got cold in your flat.

I have spent most of the day in bed under my own heated throw and it has been lovely and cosy.

SteveX

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
steve, did you ever buy a heated throw?  I remember suggesting it last year when it got cold in your flat.

I have spent most of the day in bed under my own heated throw and it has been lovely and cosy.

No I didn't but right now it seems like a superb idea, although having mooched around on Amazon I'm not sure which/what to get.  could you recommend a particular one for me to buy?
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
As large as you can afford.  They all work much the same.

You can put it over you when you are sitting down at the computer and then transfer it to your bed.

huhn

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
maybe some  useful  infos, how we deal in Cyprus with cold, we can have snow , and have most of the time no heating, all windows shut with  curtain , plus my favorite  russian trick cellotape around  so that no wind  can get through. have  the table and chairs in the kitchen , warmest place in the house and  cook and back  a lot. plus do not forget to put  some candles on, 10 pieces make a lot of warms.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »
Never occurred to me that Cyprus could suffer snowfall of any significance!  Good common-sense tips there too, Huhn  >thumbsup<

SteveX

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »
Good tips huhn but I'd never use candles, too much of a fire hazard.
The sellotape trick is neat but I think to cover all the huge cracks in the walls in my flat I'd have to buy 50 rolls. haha
Member of POMMAS

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »
What kind of place are you living in, private or social?

How many cracks are there and how big are they?
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
Crikey Steve I thought I was bad. I'm trying desperately to pay monthly fees on a prepayment funeral plan so turned my heating off 10 days ago thinking I could do without it. So you can blame me for the cold snap and snow that arrived after that! Needless to say I have had to turn it back on but it's on a timer and the thermostat is set at 10 degrees so the heating only comes on when it's cold, otherwise I wrap up and wrap up more. I don't know how you manage to sleep at that temperature. My mood plummets if I don't sleep.

Don't forget to keep checking the postcode checker to see if your area has triggered the cold weather payment. Some areas have though I doubt down here in the south we'd have 7 consecutive days cold enough to qualify. We usually just get 6 days so no payment   ;-)

All our snow has been rained off thankfully. I detest snow. And winter. And cold. And rain. But just to be positive, I adore sunshine and love to feel the warmth of it on my skin. I have been known to pay for 6 minutes lying on a sunbed just so that for 6 minutes with my eyes closed I'm lying on a sun lounger on a beach in the Maldives with a lovely light breeze over my face. 6 minutes of bliss and a mini holiday. Very mini. But no scary flights needed.

huhn

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
oh yes we have every year snow, not to  forget we have  mountains, nearly 2000  meters high and even  with ski lifts. so  in  winter many touris enjoy  skiing and after 1 hour drive  swimming. I live  in the mountains, on 600 meter high and have it   cooler then by the coast with a  permanent wind.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »
..in  winter many touris enjoy  skiing and after 1 hour drive  swimming.

Not splashing out in freezing cold water, I hope  >yikes<

Don't forget to keep checking the postcode checker to see if your area has triggered the cold weather payment

And for help from your actual energy supplier with fuel bills, that doesn't depend on the temperature being such-and-such for x number of days...

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

I've had 140 credited to my electricity account annually (from npower) for quite a few years now, thanks to this scheme!

And thanks anyway Fiz, for the reminder about the Cold Weather Payment from the DWP - I used the postcode checker and am indeed due to receive one, not surprisingly really for the week just gone:  https://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk/

>edit to add
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:02:04 PM by KizzyKazaer »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
Oh whoopy do! So am I and I wasn't yesterday. How much is this payment? And I guess it goes straight into our bank accounts?

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 10:23:51 PM »
Yes it does, if its not in after 10 days you'd need to phone them

SteveX

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
oh I just used the checker and it says there has been 1 triggered in your area.  cool :)
Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
Cool. 25 not to be sneezed at. It will actually make all the difference to me. My energy account is running in debit despite my direct debits. I know it's winter so it will lessen or go into credit later in the year but I've been terrified my energy company may have insisted I increase my direct debit and I literally can't afford that monthly loss. So I'm going to pay my 25 cold weather payment straight to my energy supplier and I can relax a lot thinking they're far less likely to want an increased direct debit then. Being a southerner, I think this is only the 2nd cold weather payment I've ever had. And I think that's fair, my heating is off already but people living up north have their heating on for months longer than southerners so I'm pleased they get far more cold weather payments than me, they need it. People are far more likely to have heating on because of the payment rather than staunchly try to 'weather it out' by wrapping up and doing without heating. Which government was it that created this cold weather payment does anyone know?

SteveX

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
Well even though the checker said there was one payment in my area, I got nothing extra on friday.
I guess it was pulled or changed for some reason.   it would have been nice to buy a spare gas bottle with (26 each) but never mind.
Member of POMMAS