Author Topic: Repair in-warranty charges?  (Read 110 times)

SteveX

Repair in-warranty charges?
« on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »
is it legal for a company to charge an outrageous amount of money to repair something when it's still in warranty?

I bought a Nintendo Switch on 31st March 2017 from Argos, it died on me recently and I contacted Argos who informed me to contact Nintendo. 

My mum (with me present) phone them today and explained the situation, they said it would be 169 to fix it.

Even though there is still 2 weeks remaining on the warranty!!  is this legal?
if it is, I'll have to sadly throw it in the bin and lose all my games too as I just can't afford or justify paying 169 for a repair.
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Repair in-warranty charges?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
It depends what the warranty says it covers.  Sadly, it's all in the small print.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
Most electrical goods come with a 12 month warranty. The only thing it won't cover is wear or tear or if the owner dropped it or whatever but a well treated electrical item should be covered. Look at the forums on CAG the consumer action group, find the forum that is specific to your issue on there and post your dilemma there. Experts there will help you. I had an issue with a SATNAV bought from John Lewis and I was getting nowhere with the extended warranty company. Someone on CAG gave me the email address of the CEO of John lewis and I emailed him about the problem. I had a reply the following day saying a John lewis voucher would arrive the following day that I could go to John Lewis with and exchange it for a brand new SATNAV. Very happy with that result!

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
Thanks both,  for the record I've always been very careful with it and even kept it in a soft case when not using it.  if I'd have dropped it then sure I just blame myself but nothing like that, just came to turn it on and nothing.

Been doing some checking and it seems Nintendo UK have a very bad reputation for customer service and repair charges.
Member of POMMAS