Author Topic: What happened to it?  (Read 505 times)

JLR2

What happened to it?
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
Earlier today, actually on BBC's Breakfast news, I caught the tail end of a story regarding a woman having committed suicide. I was at the time listening to some music on my headphone's and on noticing the story took them off and from what I did manage to catch and understand of the news story I understood it to be about a woman on disability benefits whom had been found fit to work following an assessment and I think it may have been either her mother or sister was explaining how even before the deceased woman had been buried they had received a letter from the DWP telling the now dead woman that she was fit to work and not entitled to ESA.

My opening question, What happened to it?  comes about because I have not been able to find any other mention of this woman's death anywhere on the BBC. I can't find it using the ceefax/digital Red button thingy nor did I hear any mention on the BBC's news channel. Anyone else see this story on BBC breakfast?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: What happened to it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
I didn't see it, but I've just done a search of the BBC news site feeding various possible terms in and none came up with anything recent.

Was it a follow-up on the Jodey Make case?  I don't recall their covering it when it was first made public, either.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
https://evolvepolitics.com/the-dwp-literally-just-sent-a-disability-assessor-to-check-if-a-dead-womans-ashes-were-fit-to-work/

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) sent a disability assessor to the home of a woman who had been deceased for over seven months in an attempt to check if she was fit to work – only for the DWP Assessor to be handed the woman’s ashes by the deceased woman’s horrified daughter.

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
I'm not sure Sunny all I mind was catching up with what the woman on screen was telling those in the BBC studio about how the family received the letter from the DWP telling the then dead woman she was not entitled to any benefits as she had been found fit to work. The woman's relative had just been saying how they had not even had time to bury the woman when the DWP's letter arrived.

Following the wee searches I was doing there I'm beginning to wonder if I'm losing my mind and imagining things noo.

Thanks Lankou, I'm going to take a look at the link you have given.

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Sorry Lankou but it wasn't the story I've been trying to find. The woman involved in this morning's BBC Breakfast item committed suicide because of an assessment finding her fit to work despite her various disabilities.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
https://www.welfareweekly.com/mum-of-nine-took-her-own-life-because-dwp-stopped-her-benefits/

Is this it?

Jodey Whiting, who suffered with severely disabling medical conditions, killed herself in February 2017, just a few days after cruel benefit bosses stopped her disability benefit payments after she failed to attend a medical assessment (Work Capability Assessment).

However, her family claims that she never received the appointment letter and is blaming the Government for her suicide.

The 42-year-old grandmother was diagnosed with a brain cyst and curvature of the spine and could barely walk to her own front door, but an inquest heard that despite her obvious disabilities Jodey faced an up-hill battle with the DWP for life-sustaining benefits.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
Thanks Sunny, that's the story I was talking about. Sadly for some reason it appears the BBC thinks it's done its bit and now there is no mention of what happened to Jody anywhere else beyond that short piece on the Victoria Derbyshire program iPlayer where anyone can learn about what the DWP did. I in my haste hadn't noticed the Derbyshire program had started and just guessed it had been the Breakfast news I was still watching.

As I watched the clip I was wound up as the presenter interrupted Jody's mother all the presenter appeared interested in was a headline, the suicide aspect, not the fact that the DWP had driven this young woman to taking her own life. There was, I believe, recently a case where a woman was judged as being guilty of driving or bringing about the suicide of a man and to my mind the government/DWP is likewise liable for this woman's death. I don't know if a charge similar to a corporate charge of manslaughter is possible but I would like to see any investigation result in such a charge being brought

I would also expect the BBC to tell viewers more about the investigation being carried out. As things look the BBC has decided it has done its bit and that is it.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:52:15 PM »
I'm not sure, but when it comes to criminal acts as opposed to civil liability (e.g. negligence) public bodies (as opposed to individuals working for them) are covered by crown immunity. 

I don't suppose it'll happen, but I dream of the Queen standing up and saying "Enough's enough!"  She could refuse to sign off on more anti-disabled laws.   Kings & queens that are thought to be stuck in their ivory towers can do these things.  In WW2, King Christian X of Denmark wrote in his diary that if the Nazis were to insist that Danish Jews wear a Star of David, then the Danes would do best all to do likewise.  ("imødegik vi det bedst ved, at vi alle anlagde 'Davidsstjernen'.") 

SteveX

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
I don't suppose it'll happen, but I dream of the Queen standing up and saying "Enough's enough!"  She could refuse to sign off on more anti-disabled laws.

Yes, I dream of that too and have done for many years now.

The tories I wouldn't #### on them even if they were on fire, but the Queen, I believe she's a kind and caring person.
Member of POMMAS

JLR2

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
''but the Queen, I believe she's a kind and caring person.''

If she's caring she is doing a really good job of hiding it Steve.  To my mind I see her as being all too well aware of just how comfortable life she and the Royal Family have had over many years and irrespective of how any government governing in her name treats the people of this country she, the Queen, nor her Heir to the Throne will do anything to stop said government for fear of losing the detached insulated life both she and her family have enjoyed.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »
I agree. I think the closest chance we'll get at the crown intervention preventing laws that cause further poverty and distress will be William. He and Kate have both really focused on mental health illnesses and they may already be well aware of the impact the government is having on ill people. But William is many years away from being crowned.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
Regardless of the Queen's opinion on disability issues under our constitution she has no direct powers to make or amend laws. Whether she can, or has ever tried, to influence government decisions seems to be a carefully guarded secret.

The monarch is obliged to sign bills, and I believe the last refusal was Queen Anne in 1708 on the advice of her ministers. I don't think what the outcome would be if a modern monarch were to refuse. Parliament might well abolish the monarchy, so I suspect it won't happen.

If folk want change they will just have to keep on badgering their MP and voting as they see fit. That is of course as long as we have a government that allows the people a say. Not guaranteed for all time.