Author Topic: Using computers with thought  (Read 147 times)

Prabhakari

Using computers with thought
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
https://tinyurl.com/ybzscnv8

This is a link to an article on the Guardian. There is also a video to watch.
This new invention could be a major boon to anyone with severe disabilities. Two of my disabled friends would have found it to be useful. One was paralysed from the neck. Another could not talk because of a palsy.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Using computers with thought
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I haven't read it yet, but I'm bookmarking it to read over the next few days.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
''This new invention could be a major boon to anyone with severe disabilities''

Yup, and just how long do you think it'll be before it is developed to the point where benefit claimants are required to wear one during benefit assessments or when attending Jobcentre+ appointments?

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
Indeed come to think of it such a device will enable the DWP to declare everyone fit to work no matter their disability. If, as has been claimed of this device, it will enable people to talk through the power of their internal voice what would there be to stop the DWP claiming everyone can look for employment in the IT based sector?  It could be call centres or anywhere else that automation can be utilised through digital voice recognition software programs.

Prabhakari

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
We have seen many 'miracle' cures over the years. This could be another that turns out to have limitations.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
I looked at the picture.  The receiving bit of it seemed to be something making contact with jaw and cheek.  Is it perhaps picking up on nerve signals sent when there are movements in the mouth/jaw?  What I mean is that if you're talking in your head, you may well be making slight movements in your mouth as if you're talking.

To put it differently, if it were just picking up the 'thoughts',  it would have to be picking up the signals elsewhere, not from the cheek and jaw.

This then means that it wouldn't be much use for communicating if you couldn't make mouth movements, unless you could adapt them.   That doesn't mean that it couldn't be adapted.

As for whether people would get the "You can work because..."  thing, it would just be a variation on the "If Stephen Hawking can work..." thing.   Every time I think of that,  I fume again over a doctor's blog where he said that he keeps a picture of Hawking on the wall of his surgery to remind patients of that.  I don't think it went down too well with a number of other doctors. 

But it does remind me that all this technology can be great but can be catch-22.  DWP back-to-work stuff seems to be generally based not on any recent personal experience, but on what I've read of other people's experiences, plus on videos by Ingeus etc. on Youtube, on a lazy stereotype  of "Does low-level work, must draw up stereotypical CV and go door-to-door giving it out to businesses."  Then that's combined with this wonderful notion of how disabled people can all work if they can mobilise a few metres and press a button.

I read something online about how one of the criteria for ESA has changed in relation to UC - it's the one about serious risk of suicide.  Apparently it's no longer a reason not to be expected to work. 

"Dear employer.  I'm not actually saying this because this machinery's rubbish, so a kind friend has come up with some twaddle for me to give you so I don't get sanctioned by the DWP.  I'm sure you'd love to employ me.  It'll cost you a fortune to  make reasonable adjustments for me, and your insurers really won't like having me on the premises, and since the government keeps cutting financial support, my colleagues will be doing lots of things for me that they shouldn't have to, which isn't fair on them and is humiliating for me, but don't worry, according to the DWP, anyone so disabled they need this sort of kit to talk with must be a genius like Hawking, and anyway according to my doctor, if I get stressed out, I'll probably top myself if I can just work out how to wriggle this thing loose enough to choke me.  Please tell the DWP I tried my hardest to get this job."

Sorry to be negative about that, and I very much hope this technology will help severely impaired people to communicate, but I just find the contrast between the potential for helping disabled people and the potential for using each new advance against them painful.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
OK so I'm faced with an assessment where I've been compelled to wear this mind reading gear, what do I do?  I think about either the 'orrible death I'd like to see IDS suffer or a memorable night of passion, how will the assessor read my thoughts?  An assessor is behaving like a complete moron and I'm telling myself this through the thoughts I'm having, what will the assessor do?  Tell me to shut up or what?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
Just keep a picture of a big green lizard in your head whilst you repeat over and over in your mind "Illuminati, Unum, Illuminati, Atos, Illuminati, Capita, Illuminati, Maximus..."

You'll get free board and lodging (and free injections as well).

>devil<