Author Topic: Wearing sunglasses to watch tv in the evening.  (Read 4466 times)

Yvette

Wearing sunglasses to watch tv in the evening.
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
I read something (can't find the link as I didn't save it) that said that watching tv or using a computer bfore going to bed can interupt your sleep pattern as they both emit blue light.

It said that if your wear amber or brown coloured sunglasses (not grey or black), the amber/brown cuts out some of the blue light and makes you sleep better.

I have tried it this last week and, although I will admit it may be the 'placebo effect', I can say I have slept better.

I wonder if anyone else has heard of this or tried it?

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Wearing sunglasses to watch tv in the evening.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
I would have thought you could get the same affect from switching the main room light off and having a table lamp.

Having any good bed time routine is going to help eg bedtime drink and snack, and as you already mentioned it may be a placebo affect. As long as you dont get tied into needing to wear sun glasses more if it is working for you then stick with it. I know one bloke who wont leave the house without dark sunglasses on and it means he does look odd on cold and grey days. There is no physical medical reason for him doing this he just made it a comfort thing and now for him it is a need.

JLRRAC

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
With my having discoid lupus using a computer is something I really should avoid without a uv screen, problem for me noo is I've got hold of one of these tv/computer telly's and it's too wide for a screen but I guess that's my problem, no one forced me to get the telly just a wee bargain at the Comet closing doon sale.

For me getting a decent sleep I find a cheese piece and listening to a radio that shuts off after an hour usually does the trick for me. 

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
My Mum always used to say don't eat cheese just before going to bed or you'll get nightmares.

I use lightning bug on my android tablet absolutely brilliant and that prog on windows that alters the intensity of your monitor depending on the time of day I think someone on here recommended it, not sure..
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

sickandtired

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »
You could try a free program called 'f.lux'. You can get it here:

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It adjusts the 'colour temperature' (that's how blue the screen is) according to the time of day. As the day wears on, it gradually makes the screen look 'warmer' by reducing blue light and increasing orange light. It's like a very slow sunset applied to your screen.

And you can customise it to just how warm it goes and just how gradual the transition is.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »
Thats the one works really well .
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »
My computer is too old and slow to take any more programmes.  :-(

sickandtired

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
It's a very small program.

stalwart

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Check the settings on your tv, mine has a "colour temperature" setting.    >rainbow2<

Yvette

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »
Mine has a colour temperature too - but I can't be bothered to keep changing it from watching tv during the day, to watching at night.

I've been wearing a pair sunglasses and it has really helped me.   They are only a cheapie pair I bought in Lidl last year.  Probably not good enough to wear outside, but good enough for watching tv.  I'm much more relaxed and go to sleep much more easily.