Author Topic: DWP - do they phone you  (Read 4325 times)

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
DWP - do they phone you
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
I completed my ESA and housing benefit application over the telephone yesterday.
Today I have received 3 missed calls from 0800 0232 635. I say missed, it hardly rings, you get to it and they hang up, the voice mail just beeps. If you ring back you get an automatic message, saying that you didn't answer, its the DWP and if important they will ring you back.

I have read that this may be an enquiry about change of situation with regard to benefits, but I have only just put in a claim and my situation is not going to change in 36 hours.

any advice gratefully taken

Do I need to ring someone at DWP and if so who?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:24:36 PM by SunshineMeadows »

seegee

• Super Hero Member
Re: DWP - do they phone you
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
If you have completed your claim form, you don't have to answer any phone calls from the DWP - if you don't reply and they want to communicate with you, they do have your address...

I didn't answer any of the calls relating to my ESA claim (they did ring but I didn't pick up the phone because I know I am easily confused & upset when dealing with strangers on the phone). 
The end result was that they sent me a paper claim form which was completed on my behalf by an advisor (someone from a local charity; while questioning me, obviously), then came to a decision without speaking to me (and without referring me to Atos for a WCA); they decided to put me in the support group.  They then rang to inform me of the decision; >doh< I didn't answer so received a letter 2 days later telling me what the decision was.

I hope your claim goes through without additional trouble to you; you have put up with more than enough from your previous employers.  >bighugs< >bighugs<
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:24:05 PM by seegee »

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:23:10 PM »
Otter,

I Googled the number and it looks like the call was from the DWP. I agree with what Seegee said about them sending you a letter if they can't get in touch by phone.

I can't find it right now but I seem to remember that for New claims there is a process whereby someone from the DWP call centre rings new claimants to confirm identity of the claimant and also explain the process of claiming.

The reason why the phone does not ring for very long is that the way call centres are set up they dont like call handlers waiting for someone to answer their call when the could/should be talking to someone else who is there to answer the phone.

The phone number I have for ESA queries is Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688

If they ask if you want to fill in your ESA50 form over the phone you can say no and ask them to put it in the post. The ESA50 can't be filled in in one sitting and it is best to get advice from other people so you have a clear understanding of what the questions are asking.

>bighugs<

ps I am assuming you have sent in the initial ESA1 claim form and not got to the ESA50 yet.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
Hi Otter, dwp may have phoned you about your initial claim but they will write to you with a transcript
The 0800 number is the claim line number, if you need to call them its an 0845608 number sorry I dont have it to hand and am typing this from my mobile so its not complete. I will try and get it for you later. Monic

Otter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
thanks every body

I phoned the 0845 enquiry line and when I finally got through, there is no record on my file of anyone trying to phone me, so there is nothing urgent that I need to do

I a told whatever it is they are likely to write

They have put a note on to say I have phoned and explained why they could not contact me in the first place, so it does not look like I am avoiding them

no, no ESA50 yet

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »
There are some threads on the Welfare Rights part of ouchtoo about ESA, completing an ESA50 form and the general claiming process. 
If you feel better with more information, you can probably find useful stuff there so you can be prepared with some of what you want to put on the form and any other information you'd like to send with it. 

If you'd rather not do that, but deal with the form when it arrives, then you can simply use this thread to raise any queries you have & we'll help if we can. >hugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
Otter, there is also a PDF version of the form that you could start on to give yourself more time, if you would like to.