Author Topic: Shocking report on the Disability News Service  (Read 585 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Shocking report on the Disability News Service
« on: January 04, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »
I suggest anyone feeling fragile does not read this, so I am only posting the link:-

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/atos-nurse-continues-pip-assessment-while-claimant-has-grand-mal-epilepsy-seizures/

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Shocking report on the Disability News Service
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
Yes the "nurse" behaviour is shocking - if the assessor was a nurse.  The biggest barrier there is for epilepsy patients is that to get an award of PIP you have to show that you meet the criteria more than 50% of the time. 
You'll probably think I am being bad but I despair that people do not complain to the company involved.  I know you think its useless but if due process is not followed then you are giving the company an out every time.  Its the same with DWP decisions - if you think they are wrong then follow due process to its end stage and do a mandatory reconsideration followed by an appeal if need be.  Don't just moan oh I got found fit & there's no point cos they don't change their mind.  >steam< >crying< >angry<

Most people with uncontrolled E win their appeals at the tribunal stage but even that can be difficult if the claimant says that their seizures don't really impact on their life - I can relate to that as I ignore my seizures and just continue as normal - its other folk who get het up about seizures - they are normal to me BUT you cannot say that at an appeal tribunal and expect to come out with an award.

First the man concerned needs to sign a complaint letter drafted by his wife, then if the decision hasn't been overturned at MR stage take it to tribunal.
My last person at appeal with tonic clonics 3 times a week won the tribunal and got enhanced of both despite the DWP Presenting Officer arguing that they should not be given an award.

away to calm down  >dove<

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
Yes the "nurse" behaviour is shocking - if the assessor was a nurse. 

Quite, the behaviour reminds me of this woman:-

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
you miss my point -  I routinely check the assessors qualifications against the nursing register - https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/search-the-register/
helps in any argument regarding the experience of the person making comments on the appellants problems, a physiotherapist wont have the same experience as nurse working in mental health

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
The first thing I did at my PIP assessment was to ask the assessor for their name and asked to see their ID/qualification and wrote all that down in front of them. My theory being they'd be more careful to make a fair decision if I've got their name and occupation. I'd complain to the GMC if I felt they were not being adequately knowledgeable or professional.