Author Topic: That's the last time I'm doing that  (Read 716 times)

JLR2

That's the last time I'm doing that
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
Definitely the last time I'm going to try laying a base for a garden shed, I'm absolutely wreaked my hands aren't talking to me, my back has taken the huff and the tops of my legs feel like they're about to snap.

I've been trying for what feels like ages to find someone, a local builder or the council's handyman service, to put this shed base down for me but the builder whom I spoke with has not gotten back to me even though he said he would and that the job was just the sort of thing his company does quite regularly and the council's handyman service after weeks of telling me they'd be through to look at doing this job told me eventually they're too busy and it would be some 6/7 weeks before they could help.

With the sawmill that is supplying the 6x8ft shed having already made the base and my being told by the guy doing it that the shed will be ready for delivery in the next couple of weeks I have been in effect forced to do the best I could myself. Moving 800kgs of sand and 12 600x600x50mm paving stones from the front of the house to the back garden isn't exactly fun.

Oh well at least I might find sleeping tonight a bit easier than I usually do, either that or the pain going through my weary limbs just now will keep me up awe night >zzz<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: That's the last time I'm doing that
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
Bloody hell!  I'm dead impressed!  Well done!

I hope you sleep well, because you've definitely earned lots of rest.  Full marks for effort and performance.

>star< >star< >star< >star< >star< >star<

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
Thanks Sunny, funny how some things work out, I'm mean it was only recently I bought the wheelchair ramps to take over to Berlin for my friend's dad to use as there are three steps outside the entrance door to the block of flats where he lives and another three inside. I bought them through Amazon for 77 but for me friend to have bought much the same ramps it would have cost her dad 399 euros. The ramps helped a lot.

Having said that Sunny as I'm no 'builder', the heaviest thing I usually lift is a pot of coffee >biggrin<, the job I've done might need some checking to see if it is going to be OK for the shed. One thought in the back of my mind is to check with the guy building the shed to find out if I might need to put a separate base down, one that is completely level. I just don't know and I'm nervous of my DIY projects as 9 times out of 10 I end up having to sort things out again and again. If you were to see the wall in my bedroom you'd think I'd decorated it using a 12 bore shotgun, twice >lol<

I'll post this the noo as I've got to sit back from the keyboard, the back is protesting again :-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:09:24 PM »
I used to be seriously into DIY but now I'm rather chicken about it.   I ought to get back to doing some, though, as part of my plan to get more active, as I've put a lot of weight on fast and that really doesn't help with getting up when I've fallen over.

So there you go, you haven't just laid shed foundations, you've inspired others, and as we all know, it's a central function of disabled people to be inspiring.   >devil<

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
Err Sunny I just hope I've not gone and inspired some punter to film me on their mobile  >yikes< I might end up on U Tube, so I'll be somewhat nervous for a wee while noo.

Certainly on the bright side that flipping rain managed, eventually, to stop.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 11:13:46 PM »
 >lol<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:48:54 AM »
Nice one JLR!  >thumbsup<

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
The alternative to Do-It-Yourself, Destroy-It-Yourself, but in the process of either do not Destroy Yourself.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »
Moving 800kgs of sand and 12 600x600x50mm paving stones from the front of the house to the back garden isn't exactly fun.

Certainly not repeatable  >yikes<

It seems to me that while the Spoon theoryis a good way of describing how sick and disabled people can only do so much, our lives do sometimes more closely resemble the notion of a cat having nine lived.

I hope you recover okay.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »
Wow.  Just reading that makes me want to go for a lie-down...

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »
Wow!  >mug-beer<

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »
Erm, the shed is....up, how long it'll stay up is another question >biggrin<  Actually the shed seems fine the only problem as such is my base wasn't quite pool table level. My excuse being the rain, I just couldn't get enough days without that punter hiding behind the nearest cloud waiting to see me go anywhere near the back garden with his bucket of water just to droon me.

The guys from Dunrobin sawmill were great and to see the work they put in getting support under the shed to see it level and stable was something else. The guy who  owns the business and did most of the construction wouldn't take the extra money I offered when it came to my paying the bill, in fact he ended up giving me a 10 reduction.

I've creosoted the shed and yesterday I fitted some guttering to the shed's pent roof which I hope will help protect the base from future years of rain softening the ground at the base of the shed. I did some searching on the web for ways to improve a shed's security and through this I added through bolts to a couple of the hinges. I have also fitted two locks, a padlock hasp thing and a small lock which sees someone needing in effect to hack a fair bit of the door apart to get to it.

The biggest muck up I made was in the fitting of the hasp lock. As I decided to hammer through, having first drilled a hole, the security bolt I forgot about the small latch I had earlier fitted inside the shed door to allow me to sort of snib the door when I was in the shed to stop the door swinging open in the breeze. As I hammered on the bolt the vibrations cause the wee snib bolt to move into the lock position with the result I'd locked the door. This with most of my tools inside the shed, things like my cordless drill and other bits and pieces I would have hoped to have to hand to help sort out my problem.

It took a bit of dismantling of the doors outside hinges. Though I could not undo the bolts I did manage to get some movement in the door and with a bit of pulling and sharp tugging I managed to get the door free. I've now jammed a couple of wood wedges into the wee snib to stop it being shaken into that locked position inadvertently again.

I had a local joiner cut me some thin plywood sheets and have put them down over the floor boards to help cut the drafts a bit. So now I've my spare fridge freezer in the shed, having moved it using a small trolley and have gotten my bathroom back with the grass cutter and wheelbarrow moved from there to the shed, next the rearranging of my kitchen. I hope to see the steel fabricator I know in Alness and find out if he has any more work-top bases he might let me have cheap, as he has in the past, and some stainless steel wall shelving.

Me and my ideas >lol<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »
Sounds splendid  >star<

Your story reminded me of how I once got trapped in a under stairs cupboard when the door shut unexpectedly - there was no door handle on the inside of the door  >yikes<

JLR2

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
 >yikes< Sunshine, that had me picturing a buyer of an old abandoned house unseen at an auction discovering the previous owners remains in a cupboard under the stairs.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
(Sunny reminds herself always to carry a mobile in case of door-mishaps and to check every morning that she still remembers the number for her keysafe.)