Author Topic: First time esa form  (Read 974 times)

pjd

• Silver Member
Re: First time esa form
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
Hi kittykazer and thanks all.

I know its weird when I am speaking just casual like then I can say things but when I start to do the form switches to something else and starts obsessing about the words and rethink it over and over again, and ends up like some passage from a dictionary.

On the manual dexity, do I have to explain my difficulties with each item, I.e. a pen, a coin, keyboard etc, and do I have to give examples of everyday difficulties because of my painful hands.?

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
Hi, on the mobility question, do I state the main conditions causing my mobility problems?

Sunnyclouds - what do you mean answers questions the form should ask?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
Ok, let me take an entirely fictitious (and silly) example to illustrate my point.

Let us suppose the law says that you can get a point if you have a mole on your nose.

Let us suppose that the form asks whether you have a blemish on your nose.

It may help your case to state specifically that you have a mole on your nose.

Others will be able to answer you better on things like manual dexterity, but as regards conditions, here's my gut feeling...

The people that are paid by the private contractors to assess how many points you should get and the people that are paid by the DWP to decide how many points you should get (each passing the buck to the other) may know little or nothing about your conditions.

Therefore if you have more than one condition, you might as well mention them all on the basis that if they don't know anything about one, they may know something about another.  But in all seriousness, treat them as knowing nothing.

Don't forget that we tend to become experts in our own conditions and tend to get used to talking with others that know about them either because they know us or because they have the same conditions or whatever.  A person reading your form may know next to nothing about something.

Again, taking a personal example.  I'm manic depressive (bipolar).   It's common for people to know that people with it have moods that go too high and too low, but not that some of us get both together (a mixed state) or go up and down within the day (ultradian cycling).  So I try to remember to mention it.

However, I don't usually mention to people that I have obsessive compulsive personality disorder (anankastic PD).  I don't hide it, it's just generally not relevant.  But it's not just relevant to a benefits application, it can help, because if someone doesn't understand why something's a problem with moods, they may understand better why it's a problem with obsessive compulsiveness, even though a lot of people don't understand the difference between OCD and OCPD.  In fact for me, the two are deeply entwined anyway.

So if you struggle to hold something or to move far for 3 different reasons, it may not be the most relevant that is most helpful to your case. 

Gosh, I wish I didn't have such a deeply-held sense that the whole system is bonkers and I'm trying to teach the basics of my conditions to every assessor and decision maker, where most of it should in any rational world come down to what my own health professionals say. 

Incidentally, you may prefer not to get as obsessive as me with these wretched forms.  My recent PIP application had approximately a hundred pages of extra information and evidence.  Others here may consider that possibly a bit OTT...   >blush<   :-(

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
Reaching question - is this hands to top of head or above the head, as I can reach my top with it tilted down a bit?

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
Hi again, sorry for all the questions but in the 'about illnesses' section of the form is it best to a letter style  or can you do a list of conditions and symptoms with date of diagnosed on it?

Monic1511

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Hi
the link I have sent you explains what they are looking for in each section and is a better guide as its been designed by welfare rights officers.

Your most recent question was about reaching, its asking can you brush your hair, put on your glasses and stack shelves.
They are asking about upper body problems, so can you pick up a hair dryer and dry your hair, no is probably the answer.  due to fatigue and pain in the joints in my arms, hands, neck and shoulders I struggle to raise either are above my head, I cant do this repeatedly, my grip is not reliable so I avoid picking up and trying to put things away in a cupboard, my family members have to help me style my hair.   so don't turn up at the medical with pink / purple hair in a fancy style with a flower in it or a hat on cos they will notice this and assume you did it yourself.

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
Hi,  i be been too I'll to complete the form in time and will have to ask for extra time.  Do my family phone today or nearer the return date time (10th).  Hope they allow it as the stress as made me so poorly.

X

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »
My friend just enquired with the DWP about getting an extension but they said they don't do it.  He wasnt with me when he phoned so just made it a general enquiry about return dates for esa form.  They said it varies whether or not they will accept my reason for sending the form back late,  and didnt say if there is a cut off point i.e. a week or two or longer.

I'm still unsure whether or not my money will stop if the form is not returned on the due date.   My stress levels have just rocketed. Have other people been in this situation.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »
Edited as I was talking rubbish. Apologies pjd. Please try not to worry. The DWP may well excuse the form being a little late if you say how stressed and ill it's made you, and until you know otherwise try to assume that the DWP will be okay about it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:23:52 PM by Fiz »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »
My friend just enquired with the DWP about getting an extension but they said they don't do it.  He wasnt with me when he phoned so just made it a general enquiry about return dates for esa form.  They said it varies whether or not they will accept my reason for sending the form back late,  and didnt say if there is a cut off point i.e. a week or two or longer.

I'm still unsure whether or not my money will stop if the form is not returned on the due date.   My stress levels have just rocketed. Have other people been in this situation.

Sorry, yes I was in PIP mode heavily affected by morphine. Yes it's 28 days for ESA. Just return it as soon as you can with a note with a reason it is late.

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Thanks.   Has anyone sent their form back late and how late did you leave it?

Monic1511

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »
PJD
Please send the form back as soon as you can, late return of the form can cause problems and you have been making yourself worse by over  thinking each answer.   
The problems with late return of an ESA50 are that the DWP can close the claim because the claimant hasn't returned the form so must not want to claim ESA any more, once the claim is closed its hard to get it restarted as you need good grounds for the late return, yes you have been unwell and you can say that on the form.   Mail takes about 6 days to travel through the dwp mail system which is why they tend to act after a week.  if the form is due back on Friday then you must post it by Thursday and phone them on Thursday to tell them its been posted and that you put a first class stamp on it but are aware that the royal mail may not deliver it by Friday.  Ask the worker to put a note on your records saying that the form will be there by 13/11/17 a the latest.

Better that they have a half done form than no form at all in my view.
 >bighugs< >dove<
Monic

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
Hi Monica,  I only saw this reply after I'd pm you.  I know your right.  I've just got myself into a right state about it and I can't seem to bring myself back down and I'm worrying excessively.  I've never been this bad before.   I got the dates muddled again its the 13th due back so what's the latest I can send it?.    :)

Monic1511

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »
I'd post it Friday or Saturday with a 1st class stamp - its prepaid but only for second class and phone them on Monday to tell them when I posted it  >x-fingers<

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
Hi, is it safe and OK to drop an ESA form directly into the DWP offices directly even if its not signed for?   My friend went into the offices to check and they said they can accept it but don't have time to sign for them.  If I do this it gives me an 2 days day to sort the form. (Its due on Monday).

Has anyone else done this.