Author Topic: First time esa form  (Read 974 times)

pjd

• Silver Member
Re: First time esa form
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
Sorry for all the questions but is the 'hospital, clinic,or special treatment like dialysis or rehabilitation treatment' on the esa form for normal hospital appointments or for something else?

Monic1511

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
First I would not hand the form into the office as it wont be recorded as having arrived and may go missing between the front desk and the mail room, I would just put a first class stamp on it and put it in one of the main post boxes.

as for the question about treatment is where you would say if you were being admitted to hospital for treatment, were attending physio or counselling sessions, it snot really asking about appointments

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »
pod - if you are in doubt or are not sure about what the questions are asking or if you don't know how much information to put down, there is a simple way to deal with this. 

The rule of thumb to use is this:- put everything you can think of down in your answers - if you think it is relevant or useful or you think it might be relevant or useful or even if you aren't sure, then just put it on the form - more information is always better than less.  If you have put down information that isn't relevant in your answers, the DWP will ignore it.  If you have missed out information or not written something down because you weren't sure, then the DWP can't take it into account.

I agree with the advice already given - don't hand the form in to a DWP office especially if they will not give you a written receipt. If you can afford it, it is ALWAYS best to send it Recorded Delivery (or some other, similar 'signed for' delivery method, perhaps with a guaranteed delivery date and/or time of day) so that the letter can be tracked by you and has to be signed for when it is delivered.  That way you have proof of postage and proof of receipt by the DWP.  If they try to claim it wasn't received by them then you have evidence that it was - the onus is then all on them to prove that it wasn't. I always do this and never use the reply paid envelopes they send out (even though that is cheaper).     

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
OK thanks everyone,   can I get next day delivery if I post on Saturday, will it get there for Monday?   Also monic, I've had physio and counselling in then past but do they just want ones I am attending now only?

X

Monic1511

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »
Itís about now so the other stuff is history rather than current treatment

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »
Whether you can get 'next day' delivery so that it arrives on Monday will depend on where you are, the time you take it in on Saturday and the postal services available.  You will need to go into your local post office and check with them exactly what services are available.  Its best to go into the Post Office and explain what you are trying to achieve and they can advise you what the various options (and prices) are from your location.  The only way to be certain of an arrival date for anything you post is to pay extra for a tracked service offering a guaranteed delivery date and time.  Royal Mail don't guarantee that normal first class mail will be delivered the next working day and in many areas of the country its not even possible to get next day first class mail anyway.     

One thing to bear in mind is that if you don't use the reply-paid, second class envelope to send it back - i.e. the one that the DWP give you, you can't just use a normal, first class stamp.  You need to go into the Post Office and tell them that you want it to go first class.  Its unlikely to fall within the standard size/weight so they will weigh and measure your envelope and make sure it has the right value of stamps on it.  We can't advise you here on what postal options you have or when things might arrive but your local Post Office can.   

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
  I've been violently sick in past 24 hours and had bad migraine so the form won't be completed in time.   My dad has phoned the DWP and asked for extra time.  He spoke to a woman who said to fill in the late section on the form and not to worry.  She has also made a note on my file that it will be late.   Do you think this will be ok?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
Ok, let's turn this upside down. 

Let's briefly assume the worst, and look at what could happen.  Let's assume that you get the form in too late and they turn down your application.  Now bear with me as I do an either/or. 

Consider what will have happened.  Either they've accepted the form as an application and turned it down, or they haven't accepted it as an application.

If they haven't accepted it as an application, then you can start again because according to them, you hadn't applied.  It's  a faff and you may have a gap, but at least you've a second bite at the cherry.

If they've accepted it as an application but turned you down, then you can appeal, and when you sent the form in is neither here nor there.

They way to find out which they're arguing would be to bung in a request for a 'mandatory reconsideration' at which point they'd have to either say they were turning you down because you hadn't got enough points, or they'd have to say they hadn't turned you down because you hadn't sent the application in.  Either way, you can send in more info, either as part of your request for a reconsideration or, if they say there's nothing to reconsider, as part of a fresh application.

However, that's all in the future.  It's just addressing the 'what ifs' to try and reassure you.

People here and elsewhere have found that it is possible to get extra time.  My gut feeling is that the staff at the DWP are so swamped with work that every application they can delay makes life easier for them.  But I have no evidence for that, I just know they've been helpful to me.

I hope this helps.

>x-fingers<

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Hi, I get your point,  I'm transferring over from IB if that makes any difference I don't know.   My dad specifically asked if my file would be closed on Monday or not and was told no.  I don't understand how they can say that and then close my file,  it will only be a few days late at most so I guess I have to be hopeful that they will accept my reason for the slight delay.

Monic1511

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
The will accept a few days late and since your dad has spoken to them they will know what is going on. Now please try and  >dontpanic< >dontpanic<  I'm starting to feel like a character from Dad's army  >lol<
 >bighugs<
Monic

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
Haha, captain mainwaring is it.    I was starting to panic again then when I thought they would close the file so thanks for reassuring me.  It will only be a few days late as I don't think I could cope dealing with it any longer anyway.   Bloody hell, if I'm this stressed over form, god knows what I'll be like if I fail it.

Someone has given me some cannabis oil to try (legal),  maybe I'll get high and finish the form that way (should be interesting reading then ha).   Anyone tried it for anxiety?     :-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »
Just remember that whilst we each feel it differently, every one of us here has experienced the stress of form-filling and trying to get the money and/or equipment and/or help and/or services we need and are entitled to.

So you're not alone as you go through this.  It's not fair that it's stressful, but it is stressful, and so it's normal to feel stressed.   

So calm down, apply, and get it....and then you can reassure me when I go into panic mode when I get my PIP decision... >run<

pjd

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
Hi everyone,  can anyone tell me if you have to give a telephone number on the ESA form.   I get extremely nervous when having to speak to people unexpectedly and especially the DWP,  but does it count against me if I don't give a home phone number.   Also I will be asking for a home visit so they will see I have a phone if I do get one.   Xx

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
On forms, where it asks for a phone number, I often just write 'deaf' in the phone number box.  My instinct, therefore, would be for you to write something like 'unavailable' in the telephone number box.  That doesn't mean you don't have a telephone line to your house or that you never have a phone plugged in, merely that that option of contacting you isn't available at the time when you send the form in.

Maybe someone else here would know whether there would be any objection to that.

Monic1511

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
I advise folk not to give a number cos too many folk just tell a caller that they are fine. You get a call from a withheld number and thereís this person asking for lots of details about what you wrote on the form.  Eh no, just leave it blank.  You only really need a number if your going to tribunals and the tribunal service need to cancel at short notice, thatís the only reason they call you but dwp phone to catch you out.