Author Topic: Temporary accommodation  (Read 266 times)

james-1989

• Gold Member
Temporary accommodation
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
I wrote a post about temporary accommodation a while, but can't find it so I'm just doing it again.

I've been on the council waiting list for over year with gold priority - only people who can't leave hospital have higher priority.

It's getting quite impossible to live where I am due to family problems, so have been asking about temporary accommodation.

But the council isn't doing anything to help or giving any helpful suggestions.

They first said that they wouldn't adapt temporary accommodation because they would need to pay to put it back to the original state, once we get somewhere permanent.

I emailed my local councillor and he said they would do it.

Today a housing officer phoned and basically said it's my need for a clos-o-mat toilet is the reason why they can't give me anywhere temporary.

They're not being very clear.

I already have it already where I currently live.

They don't want take the regular toilet out then pay for it to be put back one we get somewhere permanent.

Are they correct/allowed to use that as an excuse?

Should I challenge this? I've wrote to a local councillor who was unable to intervene.

I also wrote to the chief housing officer (who hasn't replied yet) but I don't think he'll say anything helpful.

I'm out of ideas as what else I can do.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Temporary accommodation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »
I don't know what your rights are here, and it's a bit of a long shot, but if it's just the clos-o-mat and maybe one or two cheaper items, is there any chance of getting some sort of grant from a trust?

I see you can buy them secondhand off ebay from 50 upwards.  You'd have the installation costs, but if it's possible to disable the wash & dry function, a landlord might let you leave it.  Obviously it costs something to install, but if you were prepared to put up with less than ideal accommodation in other ways, a landlord might be prepared to compromise on it, perhaps one with plumbing that needs sorting anyway.  My experience is that if you head towards the 'slumlord' end of the housing range, there are landlords that will compromise on things, leaving you with a win-win situation.

So what about looking on various sites that let you search charitable trusts for the sort of grants they give and see whether there are any round you?  Also, if you wouldn't feel embarassed to do it, you might consider crowdfunding.

Whether this helps or not, good luck.

>bighugs<

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
I actually have one from occupational health. They would just need to have it installed.

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »
The only things that I really can't do with is my adjustable bed which I already have and a hoist (mine is on the ceiling so need a portable one). I'm willing to be flexible, but the council won't move on anything. We (me, my mum and sister) would be going together. They are even willing to share a room, but it's not allowed, even for temporary accommodation because is classed as overcrowding.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:03:43 PM »
It might sound a daft question, but does your long-term accommodation have to be council accommodation?  I'm not saying it shouldn't be, just wondered whether you're also looking at other options?

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
A link to the previous post

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=9889.msg129966#msg129966

sorry I can't advise but shelter would be your best option for housing advice
monic

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »
Thanks Monic.

Sunny - It could be but I'm not sure if housing benefit would cover cost of private housing. The housing associations do mid market rent properties but they start at 800 pm and don't let you use HB.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the link, Monic, I'd forgotten the details.   What a horrid position to be in, James.

Shelter helped me with some stuff in the past.  I just needed some info and they were really good.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
James. Adaptions can only be done on LA or HA properties with their permission so any temporary accommodation would have to be there. When you apply for a disabled facilities grant for any adaptions you sign to say that you will refund every penny spent on the adaptions yourself if you move within 5 years. Also you are unable to have a further DFG for at least 7 years from the previous one unless there have been exceptional circumstances. All that would affect what you are after and your ability to have it. Sorry if that's not good news. Needing to pay back a DFG if moving within 5 years has kept many people in properties 'too large' for them and they're forced to pay the under occupancy reductions in benefits despite not being able to move financially. I've been in that trap myself.

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
I've had an update about the situation. We've been offered temporary accommodation which is fully accessible.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
 >thumbsup< >thumbsup< >thumbsup<
 >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
So pleased to hear that.  >hugs<