Author Topic: Hallowe'en/ Samhain/ Bonfire Night survival thread 2017  (Read 102 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Hallowe'en/ Samhain/ Bonfire Night survival thread 2017
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
Well, it's that time of year again. Hallowe'en/Samhain falls on a week night this year, meaning all the students are in town so it's going to be firework central here. I'm planning to hide inside a pair of large paded headphones, eating spookily-themed sweeties and watching DVDs. I'm not up to anything that's actually scary, so it'll be Gremlins, Tremors and possibly Shaun of the Dead. George will be provided with a litter tray and confined to barracks.

How will other folks here be surviving the firework season?

>witchonabroomstick<

huhn

Re: Hallowe'en/ Samhain/ Bonfire Night survival thread 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
in Saxony in germany is   it a  holyday , but as reformation day,

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
Being fortunate enough to live on the 2nd floor of a block of flats with a main front door that locks itself at dusk, I don't think the trick-or-treaters will be bothering me overmuch...Fireworks are a different story, there seems to be no escape from the whizz-bangs at the front or back of the property  >angry<  I wouldn't mind fireworks in general if some of them weren't so bloody loud - there really is no need for that kind of volume.  Not good for the old startle reflex...

At least Cindy the cat is unfazed - she lives indoors and she is also going a bit deaf in her old age, so sounds from outside don't seem to be registered by her!

Your survival plan sounds good, NN - for Hallowe'en-themed munchies I can heartily recommend Wilkinsons' Belgian choc coins (50p for 60g) and Marks & Spencers Gruesome Body Parts jelly sweets, 3 for 10 trick-or-treat-size bags (about eight 'body parts' in each).  Yum!  Bon appetit  ;-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
Bonfire Night & Hallowe'en are a relief for me, in a way.  Why?  Because for some years round here, so-called 'Asian weddings' have been fashionable.  I'd note that the youngsters getting married are no more 'Asian' than I am in terms of place of birth, upbringing, culture etc., but only in heritage/family origins and maybe religious affiliations.  But the fashion has been there.

It involves, round here, bright blue LED curtain lights across the front of the house, often flashing, and kept on overnight to keep the neighbours awake for weeks on end.  It involves, round here, lots of guests for hours on end, into the early hours, with lots of very loud music and cars parked across the pavements.

Yes, yes, you say, but what's that got to do with it?  Fireworks.  In recent years, for months on end, random days, random times, from afternoon daylight until 2am.  It could be 1am Wednesday or 4pm Monday or whatever.

I think others rather jumped on the bandwagon as well.  Not 'Asian weddings' but just parties.

And then suddenly, this summer, no more.  The council refused to act in previous years, as did the police.  I remember calling 999 to say some youths at a wedding party were setting off fireworks in the middle of the road, surrounded by guests and holding up the traffic.  Was it an Asian wedding, they asked.  When I said yes, they said they wouldn't do anything.  What about the Asian grannies and kiddies that might lose an eye, I wanted to know.  But apparently they didn't count, any more than the Asian neighbours who, like non-Asian me, were fed up with it.

And now, peace and quiet.  I've no idea why.  I know my hearing isn't as good as it was, but I do hear the fireworks sometimes so I do know I can hear them.  Maybe someone's run a safety campaign or a 'be a considerate neighbour' campaign in places of worship and community centres.  Or maybe it's become fashionable to have the fireworks at a wedding reception place up the other end of town.

So I'm fine with fireworks right now.  They're a reminder they're no longer throughout the year, particularly the warmer months.

Even better is bonfire night.  Yippee, an opportunity to get rid of garden rubbish without any neighbours growling about pollution.  A whole year's worth of cuttings, prunings, branches, in short all the stuff I can't realistically compost or chop up for my woodburner, all up in flames.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
There were fireworks round here tonight.  But luckily the pets are still on holiday.  I collect them tomorrow.

SteveX

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
Call me a miserable old scroat but I don't open my door at night and this is no exception.
Member of POMMAS