Author Topic: Does anyone have experience of depression with neurological disorders?  (Read 3640 times)

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
Will give the short version - have mentioned a lot of this before I think:

From the age of about 13, (which was 1.5 years after head injury due to seizure) I've had nothing but problems with depression, which can go for months, or even years and will come back for months at a time.

I have recently discovered that I have other undiagnosed brain problems (excess fluid on one side and possible epilepsy - no-one is sure about the latter) which seem to have given me chronic (not migraine) headaches. My depression is back and is getting quite bad again.

Does anyone have any experience with brain problems and depression, please?

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Re: Does anyone have experience of depression with neurological disorders?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
Hello Sofie

After falling on my head (road accident) a piece of brain tissue was dislodged + trapped the nerve that control's left sided muscel movement + after surgay to remove it I've found drinking a lot of fresh water keep's the blood thin + easy circulation help's to prevent head ache's 3 or 4 glasses a day

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:04 PM »
I have had depressive episodes at times since my teens. 
I also have a brain injury (since 1994; I was 30) and have found it pretty confusing at times as symptoms of brain injury include probs with memory & concentration, fatigue, tearfulness, sleep disturbance... all of which are symptoms of depression too.  >erm<
I find it hard to see when I am beginning to get depressed (depression messes up thinking skills too) because of this, though on looking back I can see things were not OK at least a couple of months before I noticed.
I'm struggling with depression again just now - about 3 years since last time.  The big problem just now is that I cannot stay asleep, just wake after about 2 hours, then every hour or so. Been going on for weeks & weeks - I'm getting to the stage when I can barely manage basic routine stuff (and my flat is getting messier than ever) as I'm too tired. Motivation is in short supply.  :-(

Is it possible some of your current symptoms are actually to do with your brain injury?  Just asking because I was being treated for a depression I was almost sure I didn't have a few years ago (been depressed before, this was different) - what was actually going on was that I was trying to work as I had before the injury; things had changed but I wasn't allowing for it.
More info on brain injury at http://www.basiccharity.org.uk including effects and ways of managing.

Hope some of this is useful, even if it's only to know that you are not alone.  Have you talked to a doctor or other health worker about how you are at the moment?

Take the best care of yourself that you can, Sofie; hope you start to feel better soon.  >hugs<

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
Is it possible some of your current symptoms are actually to do with your brain injury?

No-one has ever explored this. They are aware about the seizure when I was 11; but nothing more. I will suggest this. It would also explain why no-one picked it up when I was 7 and having headache issues.

Thanks you two. :)

I am the opposite with depression - I just sleep and did oversleep a bit this morning.

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:06:19 AM »
I didnt know that brain injury causes depression

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:02:45 AM »
I didnt know that brain injury causes depression
It can do, in the same way that any other life-changing event can (not being able to do things you used to, being more forgetful & slower can be hard to deal with); that wasn't really what I meant, though.
What I was trying to say is that people who have had some kind of brain injury may have some symptoms from it that are very like some of the symptoms of depression (fatigue, tearfulness, memory & concentration difficulties, sleep changes...), even if they are not depressed. 
It's easy for doctors to look at these symptoms & go for the commonest possible cause (depression) rather than looking to see if there could be anything else going on. 
If someone knows they have had a head injury in the past & is known to have some kind of brain/ neurological condition, perhaps they should be looking more closely at that rather than assuming it must be depression.
(edited to add that I meant the doctors should look at other possible causes, not necessarily that the patient should!)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:04:51 AM by seegee »

Otter

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
fluid on the brain sounds like hydrocelpis (apologies can't spell), there are fact sheets on the ASBAH website

I also drink plenty of water like Bule- I describe it as re floating my brain

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Depression can occur with silent migraines which are now thought to have a neurovascular  origin.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Sofie

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:05:19 PM »
fluid on the brain sounds like hydrocelpis (apologies can't spell), there are fact sheets on the ASBAH website

That's what I thought; but as of now, have no diagnosis of it.

devine63

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:05 PM »
Hi

As far as I know the ASBAH people deal mainly with people who had "water on the brain" (hydrocephalus) in infancy and early childhood - while the person's skull bones still have not fused and so the excess fluid means the head swells up very large.     I can remember, as a child, visiting a local institution and meeting some of the people there who had permanently distended heads due to having had hydrocephalus.

In adults the size of the skull is fixed because the bones have fused, so if excess fluid occurs it cannot make the head swell up - instead the fluid increases the pressure on the brain tissue - which can have various effects.  Sometimes the increase in pressure is relatively small and it does not continue to increase; other times the pressure increases dangerously and they have to operate to relieve it.   I'm not certain, but I think one of the possible treatments is to put in a shunt - essentially that's a tube which allows the excess fluid to drain away safely and relieves the pressure on the brain.
regards, Deb
regards, Deb

[devine63]

Sofie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
Thanks. Debs - I have heard about the shunt and a friend who has hydrocephalus did say something about having to use a shunt.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
Hi Sophie
I've had uncontrolled epilepsy for 32 years and had depression for most of that time, it flares up every so often & I get the self harming episodes but you could never call me a happy person - grumpy moo maybe but to me thats normal.
Monic

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
Hello Seegee

I think the lack of Self confidnce increase's depression >rose<

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »
Hi Bule,
Yes, some people lose confidence in themselves if they can't do things they used to, or that most people find much easier than they do & then might get depressed.
The opposite happens too - most people who are depressed lack confidence in themselves & their own abilities, because depression messes up thinking.
It can be hard to decide which came first but doctors would probably try to treat both any treatable effects of brain injury and depression.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
I've never had a head inury (well not a serious one) but have a (seemingly degenerative) neurological disorder which started in childhood and even now four decades on has not been fully diagnosed - and God knows they've tried.

I've also, for as long back as I can remember, suffered from periods of depression. It's hard to compare it to other people's but I've always (well most of the time) managed to function, despite an almost constant feeling of...just crapness basically. It's not something I readily broadcast to people, but as someone said on the old Ouch, it's almost impossible to have a disability and not suffer from depression.

It's really hard to tell whether the two things are connected or not (as The Smiths had it "Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body? I dunno...) but then you have to add into the mix my life experiences, some of which I can pinpoint as dragging me further down. I've tried anti-depressants a couple of times (both in the periods after pretty traumatic experiences) but in both cases I stopped taking them after a few days. I just don't like the idea of messing with my mind, not even if it will be in a good way. That's probably daft because I'll quite readily take painkillers if my body feels bad (although I don't do it unless absolutely necessary)

Ir's a weird one and certainly not easy to solve. All I can say to anyone else is best of luck and I hope it clears up.