Author Topic: Face's from the past  (Read 2786 times)

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Face's from the past
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
Today on my regular 4 1/2 mile round buggy ride I thought I heard HELLO STEVEN  as I passed the local chipy so I reversed up to the door + the womman who was serving said I'm Zoe + pushed you (manual wheelchair) home from Acomb shopping center 35 year's ago  >hugs< So I think my face has'nt changed much

Jockice

• Charter Member
Re: Face's from the past
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
About four years ago ago I got into the jazuzzi at the local health club and a woman in there said: "Excuse me. Is your name John Quinn?" Er, yes. Turned out she'd been at junior school with me. But only for a year as I moved to Sheffield aged ten. We went to different secondary schools and hadn't seen each other since 1977.

I did remember her name when she told me (however she does share it with a quite well-known academic) but no way on earth would I have recognised her. I can't remember ever even speaking to her at St Marie's. I was the new boy who entered in the last year when everyone else already knew each other and felt like a total fish out of water.

There wasn't a lot I could say, except: "So what have you been doing for the last 30 years then?"

I do still get recognised a lot by people I met once or knew vaguely a long time ago (recent examples are someone who I met on Christmas Eve when I was 19 and had never seen since and the younger brother of a pre-teen friend who I lost touch with when their family moved house) however I'm not usually wearing nothing but swimming trunks at the time...

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
 >lol<

I too keep being recognised by people from donkey's years ago and I have to keep asking who on earth they are  >blush<

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
Today on my regular 4 1/2 mile round buggy ride I thought I heard HELLO STEVEN  as I passed the local chipy so I reversed up to the door + the womman who was serving said I'm Zoe + pushed you (manual wheelchair) home from Acomb shopping center 35 year's ago  >hugs< So I think my face has'nt changed much
wow 35 years ago  >cool<  >rainbow<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »
Faces from the past?  I know someone who wants famous people from the past look-a-likes.  Sadly I only look like lots of other people's friends.  The number of people who think they know me but do not is astonishing.

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »
Nope - don't get this anymore as I moved away from the place in which I grew up and worked.  Have to say that, in one way, it is quite nice not to ever bump into people who might have possibly known me before I became ill so I don't have to go through the "what do you do, who did you marry, how many children do you have, blah blah blah" scenario.

Like others, the way my memory is, I would be pretty hopeless if I did have to recognise / remember anything about someone who claimed to recognise me.  I am bad enough when people I know from local shops are not in their correct places (in other words are out in the street and not where I expect them to be) what I would be like if someone from 10/20/30 years ago sought recognition - brain cell meltdown.

Auntie - are you sure that's not just a good chat up line - I can remember a couple of male friends of mine who used to use the ... "Hi there, didn't we used to go to school / work / etc. together" ...  line very successfully   >love<

T. Loopy
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
I'm not very good with placing people by their faces tbh, in fact I'm fairly certain this may have something to do with my CP. I have to really concentrate when I'm in new locations so I don't get lost. But the minute somebody speaks,  I'm a lot more successful at realising who they are.
The usual problem with me is realising where I know them from - did I teach them as an adult learner, have I met them socially, did I care for their children, etc etc.
I live far from the area I grew up in now, so I haven't had the marriage/kids/career conversation with more than a handful of people over the years.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
I am ridiculously recognisable. It really comes as a shock to me if I see someone I know and they don't recognise me if I say hello to them. I think that's only happened two or three times this century though.

One of my best mates from school is Mr Average lookswise. He used to get quite jealous if we were on nights out and former pupils from our school would recognise me but not him. This happened quite often I kept saying that it was just due to the way I looked, not any great charisma or sparkling personality I had. Although of course I have both of those things. I don't think he's ever realised how much I'd prefer to be like him.

Not long ago I was in the pub with another friend and a group of blokes I knew vaguely as a teenager spotted me. They all came over one by one to shake my hand and say hello, totally ignoring my mate. It wasn't until they had all gone that he mentioned that he had gone to school with all of them (I was at a different school), had been in the same year as most, and had even been quite good friends with at least one of them. Not a lot I could say about that really....

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:37 PM »
I am ridiculously recognisable.

Ditto - not because I'm in any way attractive, but rather because I'm fairly tall for a lady, and until the last few years had a habit of dressing more or less entirely in black.  Mind you, I'm with T.Loopy when it comes to the merits of not being recognised - can't stand the "well what have you been up to since we last met" conversations either.   And then there was the incident 3 weeks ago when I suffered a horrific attack of pain in public, and a passer-by summoned an ambulance. One of the paramedics was 2 years below me in school.  >blush< Still, at least I hadn't wet myself!

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
I get loads of people saying hello Mo to me and I'm desperately scrambling trying to work out who they are.  Im not sure if its cos they helped me during seizures in the past or were at school with me, I just wish I had a photoigraphic memory, when your uncle shouts after you "Don't you recognise me" it gets a bit embarassing

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
I'm actually quite good at remembering people, but even I'm stumped sometimes. I had a conversation with someone a couple of weeks ago during which I was desperately asking leading questions to try and work out who he was. No luck. I didn't have the slightest. Then about half an hour later I realised.

Luckily I'm still friends with his sister (well on Facebook anyway. She's lived in London for a few years so rarely see her) so I sent her a message asking her to apologise on my behalf for coming across as...a nob basically.

It can be a matter of context sometimes. I once walked past my own sister because she appeared in a totally unexpected place at a totally unexpected time.

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »
Sometimes I do a double take when I see myself in the mirror, so don't ask me.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
Sometimes I do a double take when I see myself in the mirror, so don't ask me.
When I am out shopping I will sometimes see my mother walking towards me - and then realise that I am seeing myself in a mirror  >doh<

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
I like Count Arthur Strong. He was reminiscing about the time he played Widow Twankey in Aladdin, and when he had put on all his make up, wig, hat etc and looked in the mirrow he saw his mother.

Maybe we all go that way.

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
When I am out shopping I will sometimes see my mother walking towards me - and then realise that I am seeing myself in a mirror     >lol<    >lol<