Author Topic: ESA 50 question  (Read 1422 times)

bubble

ESA 50 question
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »
As you know I did my form last nov and decision in May this yr was in the support group. I now have to fill in another form, Im hoping if I can fill it in ok that I wont have to have a medical again.

Im unsure the way to explain what they want to know, I explain about Im constantly in pain even on meds, and am mostly on crutches, but use my scooter for any distance. Other than that how can I give examples like they ask, I dont really know what theyre asking.  I hope I dont sound dense, but it really doesnt make sense to me.

I have to limit whatever I try and do because of the pain increasing, some days I try to do more cos I blooming well would have no life but then I pay for it with increased pain, and have to lay myself up. I cannot shower every day as I cant stand or sit to do so, and with m.e. cfs, I get tired exhausted so quickly I cant even dry myself without resting with a towel or dressing gown, until I can get some energy to continue.

Forgot to say Im going to try and see the cab this week but unsure if I can get there because of MIL being so ill.
Any ideas when they say about times it takes etc and how to explain in the language they need.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:28:50 AM by bubble »

Jockice

• Charter Member
Re: ESA 50 question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
If I was you Bubble I'd describe things in a worst case scenario situation. If you start saying sometimes you can do some things then they're likely to take it as you can always do them.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi Bubble

I can complete a ESA50 in about 45 minutes but if the person has both physical and mental health problems the can take an hour.  When Im asking people what they can do I try to relate it to a job, where it says can you pick up a one pint container, I ask can you pick up your mug of tea/coffee? yes - can you do it repeatedly without pain - imagine putting the pint of milk onto a shelf.

As for using the crutches how far can you go without tiring yourself out - a double decker is 11 meters long, can you do 4 or 5 buses before you need to stop?

Unfortunately you will always have to go for medicals, ESA is designed to continually assess everyone - even the terminally ill who live longer than the 6 months are being called in again - apologies if this is upsetting especially considering your MIL's situation so please don't make no more medicals your target, I think its unobtainable.

If you phrase your answers along the lines of although I could do the task once I would not be able to do it repeatedly due to my pain/concentration levels.  If using your scooter hurts your hands mention this as well.

If thats a bit of a ramble sorry I get mixed up at times
Monic

Breeze

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »
Bubble i can understand your concern because even though i got put in the support group without a medical and was told it 'could be' 3 years before i had to fill in a form again i am very unsure about this and would really prefer it in writing to tell me when i might get asked again to fill in a form but i'm not sure if this information can be obtained? It's worrying wondering all the time - when?

If it's any help to you as you are unsure if you can get to the CAB, i know some Welfare Rights workers will come to your home so if you have a look around in your local area for the disability charities that help people fill in forms maybe someone could come to you and help with filling in the form?  I know Age UK do this and some housing groups who have departments that help with such things so it might help you out a bit.  I hope things work out for you.   :-)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
Bubble,

One thing that helped me fill my form in was before I thought about how I did something I considered how an able bodied person would do it then how I would do it. I can't pick up a box and move it with two hands because I need my hands free to lend on things as I move around the house, but I can pick up a box and go nowhere. I mostly ticked the 'it varies' box then gave a brief explanation. I also used the pain scale of 1-10 and said that doing more increases pain which means I have to take more painkillers which have side effects that put me at more risk of falls.

Breeze,

I know how you feel but I think we are not getting that sort of information in writing because they may decide to change the targets. Now that ESA has been in place for a while I suspect that the government is going to realise that reassessing people who are never going to work is not as cost effective as they have hoped. After all the information and rhetoric fed to the media about continous assessment of the sick I doubt the government want it to be know they are going to leave people for 2,3 or maybe longer years.

Maybe I am being too optimistic.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
If I was you Bubble I'd describe things in a worst case scenario situation. If you start saying sometimes you can do some things then they're likely to take it as you can always do them.

It is important that you do not fill in the form talking about your worst days if you are not like this most of the time, you lay yourself open to accusatons of fraud if you do this. If you wish to talk about worst days you should also indicate how often you would expect this to occur and what your usual days are like.

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »

It is important that you do not fill in the form talking about your worst days if you are not like this most of the time, you lay yourself open to accusatons of fraud if you do this. If you wish to talk about worst days you should also indicate how often you would expect this to occur and what your usual days are like.

This is what I did. I also explained what happens if I do the activity and why I can't do it. For example, there's something about supervision whilst doing tasks. I explained that my sight makes it difficult to cook a meal safely and explained that I've burnt myself attempting this activity.

You mustn't assume that they'll know that having x means you can't do y. You must spell it out to them.

Breeze

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »
SunshineMeadows - your comment makes far too much sense so yes, i would say you are being optimistic - something i find hard to be i'm afraid lol.

This may well have cropped up on here before but i wouldn't have seen it.  I read on the web something i thought was quite interesting and it made me smile in a way.  Someone had been called for another assessment after being put in the support group previously after a 'medical' and they had used the their previous ATOS medical report as evidence second time around and as a result, found a medical wasn't necessary when they got the result after filling in the form!!  Don't know how these medicals work but i had to laugh at that and well done to them!   >biggrin<

They went on to say that the process of claiming and getting the appropriate benefits was the biggest barrier to them as it only made them much worse health wise and more in need of help - well i think most on here would agree with that for sure!  I think this is a fact the DWP don't seem able to grasp, but maybe one day they just might.  I'm trying to be optimistic there which is so not like me   ;-)