Author Topic: Deaf carpenter  (Read 565 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Deaf carpenter
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
I'm trying to find someone to do some carpentry for me.  I phoned someone up, left a message and he contacted me back a couple of days later by text relay - turns out he cannot use the phone.

He is coming round tomorrow.  How do I broach the subject of  does he lip-read and should I face him, how do I communicate with him?  How do I start on the topic without me being embarrassed and him getting fed up with my fumbling attempts to try to be 'normal' with him.

Urgent advice sought please.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Deaf carpenter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
I can only speak from the point of someone partially deaf who's known profoundly Deaf people.

He'll probably tell you if he needs you to communicate differently from how you're used to, but if not, I expect he'll be used to people asking him. 

When you're speaking, it's best not to exaggerate your lip movements and not to stand with your back to the light. 

Don't be too embarassed to use normal gestures, will you?  Even if he wasn't Deaf, if he's doing practical stuff, he'll be used to customers who probably don't know carpentry words gesturing a lot. 

Or imagine how you'd be with a lot of background noise.  You'd keep the communication simple and make use of facial expression and gestures more.

Just a tip - if you want to attract his attention when you go in the room when he's got his back to you, you can always flick the light switch off and on very quickly.  It can be less startling to someone handling tools than a tap on the shoulder.

I'm sure someone profoundly Deaf will come along soon and give you better advice.

Minniehaha

Re: Deaf carpenter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »
This reminded me of a builder who came to give us an estimate a few years back.  He had a really bad stutter and took an excruciatingly long time in finishing his sentences and, almost against my will, I found myself finishing some of them for him as it was obvious what he was trying to say.   >blush<