Author Topic: An ATOS victim to tell his story on Radio 4 (Tues 20th at 1pm)  (Read 840 times)

Minniehaha

An ATOS victim to tell his story on Radio 4 (Tues 20th at 1pm)
« on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »
'Philip who has been driven to attempt suicide by the way hes been treated by ATOS will be briefly telling his story tomorrow on World at One on Radio 4 and would like as many people to listen as possible in solidarity with him.'

http://www.dpac.uk.net/2012/11/tuesday-november-20th-1pm-radio-show/

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: An ATOS victim to tell his story on Radio 4 (Tues 20th at 1pm)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
Thanks for letting us know, Minniehaha >thumbsup<

Prabhakari

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
I hope to hear it.

Knowing the B.B.C. It will probably go out at 1:43 p.m and the news ends at 1:45 p.m.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
The piece was about ESA assessments, particularly whether claimants are advised to withhold some medical evidence "because it may be needed at appeal" or if the problem may be AtoS declining to accept evidence presented at assessment.  It's fairly common to have more evidence by the time of the "face-to-face assessment" than was available to send with the form because people have to wait for letters from doctors/ other professionals but must send the form back quickly.
Apparently ATOS are meant to accept & copy any evidence to be sent to the DWP decision-maker but this man had evidence "waved aside" and not accepted by the nurse assessing him.
Advice agencies such as CAB said they would never advise anyone to withhold evidence to use later; the problem is getting evidence from professionals, many of whom also charge for letters (not easy to pay for if on low income).
I think the piece was on about 1:30pm.  Must warn that the "minister of state for work & pensions", Mark Hoban, said nothing at all that added to the piece (I just looked him up, he seems to be an economist who probably should be in the treasury >erm<).

Prabhakari

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »
I became unwell and had to rest, so missed it.
Thank you for the report on it.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

sickandtired

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
The BBC speaking up for people on benefits? Bloody hell - the country's going to the dogs ;-).

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nxh4x

...about 35 minutes into the programme, if anyone wants to listen & add to/ correct what I wrote above... there's a five-minute report.