Author Topic: Northern Ireland is UK region hardest hit by welfare reform  (Read 1519 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Northern Ireland is UK region hardest hit by welfare reform
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
Northern Ireland is set to be hit harder by welfare reform than any other part of the UK according to research commissioned by NICVA’s Centre for Economic Empowerment.

When the reforms have come into full effect the research estimates they will take £750m a year out of the Northern Ireland economy, equivalent to £650 a year for every adult of working age. This compares to an average of £470 a year across Great Britain.

The report, The Impact of Welfare Reform on Northern Ireland, carried out by researchers at Sheffield Hallam University found that Belfast, with an expected loss of £840 per adult of working age, is hit harder than any major city in Britain. Derry and Strabane are also hit very hard.

In terms of the financial impact, Northern Ireland districts occupy three of the top four spots across the whole of the UK, seven out of the top 20 and 11 out of the top 50.

http://www.adviceni.net/frontpage.cfm/fp_Key/197

More here:

http://www.thedetail.tv/issues/279/welfare-reform/northern-ireland-is-uk-region-hardest-hit-by-welfare-reform

Download the report in .pdf format here:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/research/cresr/sites/shu.ac.uk/files/impact-welfare-reform-ni.pdf

JLR2

Re: Northern Ireland is UK region hardest hit by welfare reform
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
"Sheffield Hallam University"

Isn't that the Uni that is linked to Unum Provident (I know they Unum tried to change their name, I just give a sh.. they're still Unum Provident to me)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
"Sheffield Hallam University"

Isn't that the Uni that is linked to Unum Provident (I know they Unum tried to change their name, I just give a sh.. they're still Unum Provident to me)

>yikes<

Thought that was Cardiff University:

http://dpac.uk.net/tag/unum-provident/

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
The esteemed Nelson was on Newsline last night regarding the reforms, Mike Penning has been blustering all over the Nolan show.

£5 000 000 per month is going to be taken out of the block grant, starting in January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24913807

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
I noticed Penning saying he had to come 'out' to Northern Ireland, does he think we are living in the 'colonies' or a far flung part of the earth, that word 'out' or 'down' is soooo loaded!

Don't you just wish they would all come out with whatever it is that has been 'agreed' is it just the arrangements - the actual dispensation of the reforms or the exact cuts themselves, I'd love to know what groups from the Voluntary sector who were involved in talking to McCausland, not one peep out of anyone. Was anyone talking to him???

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »
Tell me about it, Gliummum - a whole hour on the plane from London fist class. Must have been hell for him. Either that, or during his time at the NIO he hacked off so many people, he didn't want to come back!

As for the voluntary sector organisations which met with McCausland, I can't find much information on them at all. I have some documents on my currently out of action laptop relating to the early PIP consultations, and the list worryingly short. I just hope that a few more of them have woken up and realised the utter mess the place is headed for.

The only public statement on the 'agreed' package for NI is the one McCausland gave back in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20026767

In addition to the cuts, no-one even seems to be that certain about how much of the block grant is to be deducted for non-compliance, but the figures stating £60m in 2014 rising to £250m in 2015 make it sound like a bargain next to the £750m per annum due to benefits reform stated in the NICVA report.

I forgot to include a link to Wednesday's Nolan show upthread. It's worth a listen, even if just to seethe at Penning's unbelievable arrogance. The bit with Alex Maskey and Sammy Wilson is just embarrassing, though, but it gets better when Nolan starts tearing strips off a twerp from the NI Conservatives, which is followed by a call from a woman called Carmel who really ought to be First Minister.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03hckzp/The_Nolan_Show_13_11_2013/

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
oh that's great thank-you for that, cant wait to see it! It is absolutely weird that everyone is just so quiet about all of this - honestly if we didn't have Nolan a lot of stuff would never get aired. Would this happen elsewhere? Would 'England' depend on someone like Paxman or a shock jock to get information on these things? I have asked everyone in my group to stop bungee jumping or bagpacking for the voluntaries/charities, they are not doing anything for anybody >yikes<

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Over here on the mainland I suspect most people know very little about welfare reform unless they or a member of their immediate family have been adversely affected (even then they probably only know about the bit that's affected them, not the wider picture).  People in England, Scotland & Wales aren't at all well-informed (I know that's true in this part of England & see no reason that other places will be very different).
It hasn't been prominent in mainstream broadcast news, just a few short mentions with a minister then saying how it's all a great improvement. 
If you watched/ listened to national news here you'd barely be aware of welfare reform as a whole. 

I think it's improbable that most adults read a newspaper every day (plus tabloids are easier/ quicker to read, so sell more copies than broadsheets) & if they read online news they will choose a source that agrees with views they already have.  Nearly everyone knows by now that there's been a huge natural disaster in the Philippines but few know that their local authority's care budgets have been cut or how benefits for disabled people work.