Author Topic: Curve Minimal Multicolor Theme - the one with the plain logo  (Read 403 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Curve Minimal Multicolor Theme - the one with the plain logo
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
Those of you who preferred not to or could not use the new colourful logo were give the choice of changing the them they use to Curve Minimal Multicolor which has the old logo on it.

One of the members using that theme would find things easier if the icons I recently added were not used on that theme, therefore I am going to try to do this.

The heads up is for anyone who wants to use the old logo but wants the icons to remain on the theme they use, you need to let me know if I need to add a fix for you after I make this fix.

:-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:27:07 PM by SunshineMeadows »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Curve Minimal Multicolor Theme - the one with the plain logo
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »
Some people might ask why I did not forsee the need for a fix and set it up before adding the icons, in effect do what sites like BBC Ouch did. The thing is doing it this way means I get feedback as I go.

There is a way to 'take the icons out of the Minimal Theme it is going to involve me Uploading a plain icon image for every icon shown in default mode and then giving each a name of a icon in default.

The software will mean the conversation with the server goes.

In default mode > loading webpage > look for icon > go to webroot >themes > default >images > post > then take the image that is called DWP and it will me the icon of a man in a suit.

In Mininmal Curved mode >> loading webpage > look for icon > go to webroot >themes > Curve_Minimal_Multicolor_2  >images > post > then take the image that is called DWP will me a plain icon

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
There is a lot more work to do eg the icons are not finished and every time I add a new one I have to edit the Minimalist Theme, but hopefully this sets a few peoples minds at rest.

Please look at the attachment below  >attachment< it shows what those using the Curve Minimal Multicolor Theme now see in Talk.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »

Please look at the attachment below  >attachment< it shows what those using the Curve Minimal Multicolor Theme now see in Talk.

I must be being very thick what are "themes?"

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »

Lankou,

Themes are just not on your radar of things you need to know, your not thick.

A theme determines the colours, text, icons etc that are used to illustrate the design of the message board.

On there website the people who designed the website have a section where programs offer theme downloads for free.
There was a thread in talk about purple recently which reminded me of this site where they use a purple theme http://spartacusforum.org.uk/ sorry but the forum has been closed because of spam. That was a surprise. Anyway here is another link to show an alternative theme, http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=353

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »

Lankou,

Themes are just not on your radar of things you need to know, your not thick.

A theme determines the colours, text, icons etc that are used to illustrate the design of the message board.

On there website the people who designed the website have a section where programs offer theme downloads for free.
There was a thread in talk about purple recently which reminded me of this site where they use a purple theme http://spartacusforum.org.uk/ sorry but the forum has been closed because of spam. That was a surprise. Anyway here is another link to show an alternative theme, http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=353

What I should have written is how are they altered on this forum because I can't find them anywhere.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

You're not thick, it might easily be something you didn't notice at the time.
Some of us aren't seeing the multi-coloured splash at the top of the page, as it's too intrusive - we were given the option of a different colour-scheme (theme) with more muted colours.  When I'm not logged-in, I see the splash & quickly log-in to reduce the discomfort.
Moving icons are sometimes hard to deal with but they aren't on every page.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
There are some members who have moving pics as part of their profile - is there any way to make them stationary in the "minimal" theme?  It's hard to ignore something persistently moving at the side of a post; that makes some difficult to read, which is a shame as I don't want to miss those members' contributions at all.  Maybe I am the only person who finds this hard, in which case I'll have to carry on tolerating it. 

It's not sensible to try different settings for each individual, that'd be a ridiculous amount of work for you, SM - and whatever you do won't suit everyone as we are all different.  If you change A to suit N, then O will say they'd really like C, whereas P would like D better and Q wants to go back to A...
There do seem to be a few of us who'd have difficulties with a lot of colour, motion or multiple icons above threads as well as a fair number who find those things useful.  Is there any real need for more than 2 or 3 options to suit the vast majority of members?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
I have so far changed my avatar at least twice when other users found them difficult to cope with, it is not a problem the users concerned contacted me by PM and I was happy to oblige if you have a problem with a particular avatar just ask the user concerned explaining what the difficulty is and they will probably change it.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
Lankou,

Ahh I see okay to see how other themes look and to save the changes to a different one go to your Profile and do the following:

Profile >Modify Profile > Look and Layout >

Where it says    Current Theme:      Forum or Board Default click on (change)

On the next page you can choose to preview or use any of the themes shown.

:-)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
Seegee,

That is a good question to ask now because I do know more about the tech side of things than I did the last time the topic of Avatars came up.

As far as I know it is an either or situation, which means and you can either see all the avatars or none.

Profile >Modify Profile > Look and Layout >

Put a tick in the box that says  Don't show users' avatars. Next to save changes click the Change profile button on the bottom right of the page.

Thank you for what you said in relation to the number of options I can be expected to create.

Dic,

I have so far changed my avatar at least twice when other users found them difficult to cope with, it is not a problem the users concerned contacted me by PM and I was happy to oblige if you have a problem with a particular avatar just ask the user concerned explaining what the difficulty is and they will probably change it.

>star< >bighugs< a user led solution.

The only animated I can readily think of right now is Stalwarts and he has used that one for years now. It goes back to Aimoo days and people gave him the okay on it. If it has become problematic for some we need to think about which compromise is best because some people use Avatar recognition more than names.

Seegee,

If you are like me and can only think of the Avatars people are using when they have posted recently then next time you see any others that bother you either Pm the member, post here about it or PM me and I am sure we can sort it out.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
It is stalwart's avatar that is difficult & I wouldn't want it changed to something completely different (unless nobody can find an immobile skunk) because the picture still makes me smile. 
I do find it hard to read text alongside it though and I appreciate most of his posts across different threads/ boards. 
If I'm the only person who finds this hard then I'd rather it wasn't changed; as you said, I've been living with it being "a bit uncomfortable" for a long time now, though it hasn't got easier as I thought it might at first.
Avatars do make it a lot easier to ID people without the mental gymnastics of reading a series of posts while trying to remember who wrote what, in reply to whom.  I think if I could do that I'd quite likely be fit to work (as far as I know brain injuries don't fix themselves after the first year or so but I'd be pleased to be the first spontaneous repair after nearly 20 years!).  The avatars make scrolling through a thread to see what someone's referring to simpler.
So you see I don't want to hide all avatars but still find the deodorant-wielding stripy-beastie hard work. 

Can I repeat what I said earlier in this thread - "I appreciate most of his posts across different threads/ boards", I don't want to stop reading stalwart's posts, don't want to stop enjoying his witty comments or learning from informative ones, so I hope no offence is caused. 
Stalwart, get back on board ship & resume your duties at once if you are reading this nonsense. >biggrin< >bighugs<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »
Sunshine, the work you have done is fantastic.  I love the way the icons on the threads are big and clear.  That one with the books is perfect for AO and all his stats!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
If anyone wants me to extract a stationary image from an animated avatar, I can give it a go (not all animations disassemble into full frames). As an example, Kizzy's avatar was originally the master frame from an animation.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »
Darth,

Thank you for offering but I clicked  on things until I worked out how to do it using Photoshop.
I sent it in an email to Stalwart, we will know more of what he thinks next time he checks his email.