Author Topic: Faithful friend thread by Darrowsgirl  (Read 258993 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Faithful friend thread by Darrowsgirl
« Reply #2685 on: August 27, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
Very glad to hear that the dog is improving, and that the owner is well enough to come home for a bit!  >hugs<

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2686 on: August 27, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »
Thank you, NN.  >hugs< Let's share some >chocolate<.
All being well, owner may be home to stay in a few days (but then again, owner was saying that 2 weeks ago, so who knows? >erm<) and dog will continue to get better.  Dog moved so decisively when I visited yesterday (sitting up suddenly) that he spilled his water bowl. >blush<  If dog's able to stand & walk a little later in the week, there'd be no further need to stay at vet's... as it appears drinking from a bowl is now fine and even I can spoon-feed such a docile animal. >heart< 
What I can't do is lift/ carry a large dog outside for his toilet needs, so as long as he can't stand unaided he'll have to stay. 
I'm knackered, but slept OK last night; a couple more like that & I'll be fine. >zzz<  No more losing sleep over dog for a while anyway, as owner knows where he is & there's nothing I can do to make dog better now. 

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2687 on: August 28, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
I'm knackered, but slept OK last night; a couple more like that & I'll be fine. >zzz<  No more losing sleep over dog for a while anyway, as owner knows where he is & there's nothing I can do to make dog better now. 

>chocolate< >zzz< can be good medicine  >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2688 on: August 28, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

>bighugs< >chocolate<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2689 on: August 28, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »
Seegee,  what is the dog's diagnosis? Is it very old so coming towards the end of its life? I hope you catch up on sleep soon xx

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2690 on: September 02, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

On Tuesday owner came home to stay and on Wednesday evening we brought dog home too (via pet-taxi again, though without actually lifting him this time); vet wanted him out of kennels to reduce risk of pressure sores as well as to help with his general recuperation - dog being home should help owner with his recuperation too. >biggergrin<  I'm obviously really pleased that dog's made such a rapid recovery, as I was very worried indeed last week. 

Dog has/had meningitis around his brain and spine, Fiz - still on antibiotics as well as other medicines but can now walk even if gait's a bit more unsteady than his usual.  He's eating, drinking & wandering around at home though obviously not going for any long walks yet; out of home, through the gate, a few yards then poo & come home seems to be enough just now. 
Yesterday dog managed the walk all the way to the vet's and home again accompanied, not assisted, by two humans;  he was clearly very tired afterwards (adds up to less than a quarter of a mile altogether and of course a few stops were allowed on the way as well as a bit of time in the vet's). >zzz<  Vet is pleased with his progress, next Tuesday's appointment could be the last for a while if all's well.  Dog's happy but tired, and today I was really pleased that he was barking because there was someone at the door; with the energy to bark & bounce at visitors, he's much more like his normal self.  >biggrin<

He's about 8 years old according to the vet, so it's to be hoped he'll be around for another couple of years at least; I know big dogs tend not to live as long as smaller ones but 8 isn't very old even for a big drooly beast. >hugs< >dog<  He's a lovely animal, friendly to very nearly everyone and calm with children (who often come to see/ stroke him when out for a walk) and other dogs.  Adult humans often comment on how big he is for a boxer, so it seems he's a bit unusual.  He's not as wildly energetic as he was when younger, though he can still occasionally be persuaded to play if a dog is insistent! 

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2691 on: September 03, 2017, 07:34:27 AM »
Yay! Everything is moving in the right direction.  >star<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2692 on: September 03, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
Great news  >thumbsup< especially that the dog is getting his quality of life back.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2693 on: September 03, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »
He's also got his drool back, which he didn't have when his temperature was high of course - I know he can't help it, humans bred dogs with excessively short snouts and so they frequently have strings of drool hanging from their mouths... doesn't change his sweet temperament but it does make him very messy.  People's clothes, other dogs' coats, doors & furniture at home all get covered in slaver when he gets too close or shakes his head - I love the dog, but I'm not sure I'd be able to live with him.  >dog<

Getting him to eat on demand isn't easy, so some of his antibiotics might have been spaced rather unevenly (he tends to eat a bit at a time, so even half a bowl of food can last hours); I hope it doesn't mess things up with his recovery, but so far, so good.  >thumbsup< >biggrin< 

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2694 on: September 03, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »
 >bighugs<

please read this to the end  ;-)

How to give a cat a pill

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL:

1) Wrap it in bacon.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2695 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
 >lol<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2696 on: September 04, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »
 >biggrin<

George is somewhat resistant to tablet-taking, so the pills have to be crushed and then mixed into a tempting bowl of wet food or tinned fish. Which I suppose is the cat equivalent of wrapping them in bacon.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2697 on: September 25, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
>bighugs<

please read this to the end  ;-)

How to give a cat a pill

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL:

1) Wrap it in bacon.

>lol<   That is so true!

Seegee, how is your canine friend now? That was a close call.

I have an appointment to take Tizzie to the PDSA this week and I will travel into the city by train and walk her from there. I'm pretty sure both her ears are infected, she produces excess wax which breed bacteria so despite wax softening drops and cleaning them out regularly this still happens from time to time. My last wiping out effort and she squealed so it's time for the vets. Mimi has another wound on the left side of her face. I'm wiping it daily with feline antiseptic bought online and can only hope it doesn't get infected because vets for the cats is now unaffordable. Waiting in the phone queue this morning to make Tizzie's appointment left me listening to a message saying that the reason they have reduced the number of pets allowed to be registered with them is to increase the number of people who can access 'affordable healthcare' who are on a wider range of benefits than previously.  As it was available previously to anyone on income related ESA JSA IS & Pension credits or housing benefit, I assume they have widened availability to people on tax credits. These wider people do have to pay but at a lower rate than private vets. So that's why they've done it. I'm still gutted and if Mimi's wound does get infected then she'll be treated and re homed.  I can't have pets I can't afford to care for. I know I will have a very upset daughter who will think even less of me than she currently does but the animals welfare must come first. I am all they have right now.

huhn

« Reply #2698 on: September 26, 2017, 04:56:31 AM »
hihi, the little  stray cat, who adopted my little girl was last Friday castrated and takes  very brave her antibiotics. I am  very pleased  how easy it is. Our little zoo is also  getting bigger with 2 guinea pigs. so  I never run out of work.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2699 on: October 08, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
Good news huhn (about the cat taking her medicine without protest, not that you have more work to do!)  >thumbsup<