Author Topic: IBS what works  (Read 3963 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
IBS what works
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
Today I've had my worst ever bout of IBS and it's the first time that I've not been able to ascertain the causes. I've eaten no wheat or gluten, it's a puzzle. The pain has been as crippling as when I've taken 40 dulcolax!

I've thrown everything I can it at, Buscopan x2. Tramadol x2 Colpermin x2 and dihydrocodeine and the pain is still coming in waves but it's now going from pain free to bearable pain with each wave which is better than as was.

I was wondering what other IBS sufferers use and what works you?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: IBS what works
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »
Hi Fiz, dare I ask what the quality of your actual bowel movements is? 

**brace yourself for a toilet tale**

Had bouts of IBS years ago while exiting one of my anorexic episodes, so recall how unpleasant the whole package is;  but things have moved on (pardon the pun) since then and as it happens - following about a week of severe pain in the right side which prompted me to get an emergency GP appointment -  I have recently been diagnosed with chronic constipation due to the side-effects of psychiatric meds.  The doc prescribed an osmotic laxative (it works by drawing more water into the bowel and therefore softening the stool, and is much gentler than the traditional 'irritant' laxatives) and after days of straining to pass 'pebbles', I was able to have a more comfortable movement and the pain melted away.  The GP's advice is for me to continue with this laxative long-term (as obviously there's no chance (boo, hiss) of coming off the other meds).  What I am therefore wondering is, do you have a backlog of unpassed stoolage lurking? 

PS - the bad news is, strong painkillers can bung one up as well  >doh<
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:40:44 PM by KizzyKazaer »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:36:51 AM »
I take 4 Movicol daily or 6 if I eat carbs. That normally leaves me normal but for the last 4 or 5 days weirdly I've been loose. I ended up taking all those meds and was asleep by 6pm and have now woken because it's obviously morning after my night's sleep. But I'm pain free now and don't mind being awake in the night if I've had some sleep and I had a long text chat with dd which was nice after I woke. Up to now it's only been wheat and gluten that triggers IBS pain like that, I'm very puzzled by this as I've not eaten any and have eaten identical diets weekly for the last month. I did wonder if I was constipated as I felt so incredibly bloated when in that pain. I will see how tomorrow, well today, goes.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
Fiz, has your intake of fibre (particularly insoluable fibre) increased over the last number of months?

My IBS has been horrible for the last while. Prolonged stress is partially responsible, but when I examined my diet, I found that because I rely on things like grains, beans and pulses for a large part of my protein intake, I was also consuming ridiculous amounts of fibre. This may account for my bottom being hyper-urgent for the last number of months  >yikes<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »
That's the weird thing, my diet has been the same for weeks. I've only ever had IBS after eating wheat/gluten so this was a first. Terrible pain and I felt so bloated. I knocked myself out with painkillers and woke at midnight pain free, had a hot chocolate and went back to sleep again and I've been fine today. If it happens again I will mention it to the GP but I'm hoping that was a one off.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
I'm hoping that was a one off.

>x-fingers<

I'm glad that you're in less pain today. >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »
I'm sorry your IBS has been bad NN. Do you find Buscopan helpful?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
Hope too that you don't have to suffer again like that, Fiz ..

Sorry for last night's ramble about my own innards, I expect you don't need to be told about the different types of laxatives  >doh< >blush<

NN, it's a funny old thing about fibre - I didn't think there could be such a thing as too much of it, then someone elsewhere on t'Net mentioned the FODMAP diet for IBS: and it came as a real shock!

(advance apologies if you both already know about this  ;-)): http://www.theibsnetwork.org/the-self-care-plan/diet/is-it-food-intolerance-or-the-intolerant-gut/fodmaps/

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »
Lol yes a bulimic does tend to have more than the average knowledge of laxatives  >biggergrin<

I started off one of my attempts to end my life by not eating and drinking by taking 40 Dulcolax thinking that would dehydrate me and speed things up. The Consultant asked me why the number 40 and I explained that was the largest size box you can buy (they come in 60's now!) and he said oh I see, so you just took a whole box. He then said we'll it's not a record, but it's quite a lot. I really wished I asked him what the record is, but just as well I didn't as knowing me it would have become a challenge.

I'm much better now and I just use Movicol (prescribed) which doesn't damage the bowel and replenishes lost electrolytes. I think I will always need Movicol because my carb intake is so low.

My IBS has only ever been triggered by wheat and gluten before but the pain I was in the other day was as bad as taking 40 Dulcolax except for after you can take no more pain with the Dulcolax OD analgesia helps which it didn't the other day. I did wonder if it was wind as I felt so bloated too. It's not normally a problem for me but as I was pain free when I woke and no longer bloated I did have a smile at myself wondering if I'd farted all night in my sleep unknowingly  >biggrin<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
I'm sorry your IBS has been bad NN. Do you find Buscopan helpful?

Thanks Fiz. I do find Buscopan monderately useful for slowly escalating cramp attacks, but for the immediate, vice like type, it's just strong painkillers, and lie in bed whimpering and gritting my teeth until it's passed (no pun intended). Having an abdomen and pelvis full of malfunctioning nerves is no help, so an IBS attack comes with a PN flare as standard. Isn't the human body marvellous? 

NN, it's a funny old thing about fibre - I didn't think there could be such a thing as too much of it, then someone elsewhere on t'Net mentioned the FODMAP diet for IBS: and it came as a real shock!

(advance apologies if you both already know about this  ;-)): http://www.theibsnetwork.org/the-self-care-plan/diet/is-it-food-intolerance-or-the-intolerant-gut/fodmaps/

Cheers Kizzy. Was already aware of FODMAP, but it always deserves a mention on an IBS themed thread.  >thumbsup<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
I'm exactly the same NN wrt Buscopan, when the pain arrives as swiftly and sharply it's too late to use it. One of my online friends in another forum said she has bad IBS so is going for a long walk to settle it. I didn't say anything but I thought Blimey when I have an IBS attack I can't go far from the loo/my bed, I can't imagine going out for a walk! 

sparrow

• Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »
Hi fiz,  I'm not sure if you will read this but  I've suffered from severe ibs, then crohns colitis for over 20 yrs and suffered daily without much relief.  Tried all drugs which only help a little at times, and I know about those horrendous sudden vice like type you mention.  I find breathing exercises can help sometimes and applying heat to the stomach area might be of help.  Unfortunately not much else to do other than lie down and wait for it to pass OK.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
One of my online friends in another forum said she has bad IBS so is going for a long walk to settle it. I didn't say anything but I thought Blimey when I have an IBS attack I can't go far from the loo/my bed, I can't imagine going out for a walk!

>yikes< Me neither! (OK, so I can't really walk anyway, but you know what I mean)

Hi fiz,  I'm not sure if you will read this but  I've suffered from severe ibs, then crohns colitis for over 20 yrs and suffered daily without much relief.  Tried all drugs which only help a little at times, and I know about those horrendous sudden vice like type you mention.  I find breathing exercises can help sometimes and applying heat to the stomach area might be of help.  Unfortunately not much else to do other than lie down and wait for it to pass OK.

Hi sparrow. Sorry to hear that you're a fellow memeber of the wonky intestine club. >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:38 PM »
Bit of an update here: After a some trial and error, I've managed to isolate palm oil as a major trigger for IBS-D attacks. Still no closer to identifying triggers for the more usual IBS-A attacks, but at least that one thing eliminated.

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to write about IBS without inadvertently using a load of bottom-related puns?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »
Palm oil!  Not something I've come across but then haven't really been looking...

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to write about IBS without inadvertently using a load of bottom-related puns? 

>biggrin<  and I was just about to write, 'glad you're gradually getting to the bottom of it, NN'... >doh<