Author Topic: Inner ear, outer ear, balance, sound  (Read 523 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Inner ear, outer ear, balance, sound
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
I get the gist of the different bit of the ear.  I.e. info to brain from eardrum and some bones in head about sound/vibration; info to brain from bits of inner ear about which way up you are and which way you're moving.

What I can't work out is whether sound/vibration affects the inner ear balance function. 

This isn't abstract: I think the sound balance through my current hearing aids may be affecting my balance (in addition to other issues, including existing problems with my inner ear, as confirmed by a neurologist a while back), but I don't know whether it's just that I'm misreading what's where from my subconscious interpretation of what I hear around me, such as how close people are or where they are, or whether it's that the different sound patterns could also be having a physical impact on my balance.

Also, general curiosity but not important - does anyone know whether the chemical signals that transmit sound information to the brain are the same as the ones that transmit balance information to the brain?  I don't mean do they do it together, I mean is it the same sort of chemicals and receptors?  I.e. if medication impairs the brain's perception of info from the inner ear, could it also impair the brain's perception of info from the outer ear? 

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Inner ear, outer ear, balance, sound
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
http://www.carolguze.com/text/102-25-ReceptorsNervousSystem.shtml

Explains the mechanisms a bit..
I take medication for Menieres Disease which causes, vertigo, dizziness, fullness in the ear and can cause deafness. I have never been told the medication might affect my hearing but that does not mean I am saying No as an answer to your question.

Remember balance is determined by a combination of senses including sight and people who have had a labyrinthectomy  can learn how to compensate for the lack of that balance organ. More info on labyrinthectomy http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2051423-overview

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
I understand how balance works and the physical layout and function of the outer, middle and inner ear.  I don't understand the chemistry of it.

My medication has affected my semicircular canals and hence my eye-movements (showing up as square wave jerks) in addition to the ataxia, tremors etc.  Reducing the medication has reduced some of the symptoms of ataxia, such as problems with swallowing and with my bladder, and has reduced the tremor to manageable levels.  But there are still problems.

I know that the medication I'm on interacts with many others, and causes all sorts of problems with the nervous system, which I'm reading up on.  (The scientific/research information from reputable sources, not from sites simply offering opinions, anecdotes or  products for sale.)

I'm tempted to phone my GP's surgery and ask which of their trainees is least busy and when and book an appointment to ask them to give me some pointers on what to look up.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
Sunny, have you tried cinnarizine? I'm fortunate only to have had 3 or 4 short bouts of these symptoms but that medication really helps me.  >bighugs<