Author Topic: Allergy bracelets  (Read 444 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Allergy bracelets
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
Can anyone recommend an allergy bracelet company? I'd want the engraving to be deep so it lasts and I dont want it to look like a clunky item to wear. I know I'm fussy! Need to order one fairly soon really. TIA

huhn

Re: Allergy bracelets
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »
medic alert we have here.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »
Medic Alert is the one I've heard of as well.

http://www.medicalert.org.uk/buy-jewellery/jewellery

Been thinking of ordering Mum and me a bracelet each, as we're both allergic to penicillin.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
I am not sure whether we have such things here, but I do have a Cave penicillin, Morphine and I forget which else engraved on a tag on my keyring.  Also my ID card has full details but more importantly the emergency services can check my ID card for all allergens.

The first thing that the emergency services do, apart from life-saving stuff, is check for my ID card, which by law has to be carried with you all the time.  And that will instantly bring up all medical details.

I know that many people do not like the idea of ID cards but mine has saved my life more than a few times by bringing up life-threatening allergens.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
In the end Ive chosen one from www.theIDbandco.com 

Ive chosen a really pretty multiple coloured beads one and with free engraving and free p&p and a little over 30 it looks good. Excellent reviews too. You can engrave front and back so I've put the penicillin allergy on the front and do not rescucitate on the back. I'm not sure how much credence they give such an instruction on a bracelet but I'm ready so wanted it said.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:14:29 PM by Fiz »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »
 >bighugs<

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
Fiz - I do not know if we have a NDR here but my ID card has full details [name, address, telephone numbers] together with it in its little plastic case.  They are my registered next of kin [they actually are not but my lawyer drew up a very detailed Will for me] and they are also registered as having Power of Attorney if I am unable to look after myself or end up totally gaga.

They know my wishes and will abide by them.

Oh, and of course, just as I did with Pereg, arrangements have been made for little Tikva in case I predecease her.  Probably likely as I am 75 and she is only just 2.

I am fairly sure that I have everything covered. 

I hope.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »
My dd showed me her iphone and if you tap the bottom left button twice without logging in you get the phone owners medical details. No name, address or anything but previous medical history or conditions that might be important and you'd not be able to impart if unconscious. It lists your allergies. It has your NHS number so a hospital can identify you. She only found out this facility on iphones by spending a day with the ambulance service and attending a serious RTC where two people in separate cars were unconscious and the paramedics relayed the info from the phone to the hospital while they were on route. A really good idea. Could well save lives. The day gave dd the knowledge she could never be a paramedic being first on devastating scenes etc.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »
Just wanted to clarify that the Medical ID facility on an iPhone has whatever medical and personal information you want/decide to put into it.   

You have to type all of the information in so you can decide what to include and what to leave out.  You can include your full name and address if you want to - it wouldn't be terribly helpful to leave your name out.  It doesn't have your NHS number and allergies unless you actually put that information in by yourself. It also has a place for inserting the phone number and name of your next of kin or an emergency contact. 

I just wanted to clarify because Fiz's post read (to me) as though there was no flexibility about the information in the Medical ID screen when there is actually a great deal of flexibility.  If you happen to subscribe to a facility like MedicAlert where they hold copies of medical paperwork/records on your behalf which can be accessed by doctors, paramedics etc who only need to call the MedicAlert phone number and give your unique reference then you can include that too.     

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:09:59 AM »
Just wanted to clarify that the Medical ID facility on an iPhone has whatever medical and personal information you want/decide to put into it.   

I think the advantage if my ID card, with its individual number, is that only emergency services [including, of course, hospitals] can access my medical details - just by putting my ID number into a main Ministry of Health computer, which also has details of who to contact, plus my Social Worker.  Only official emergency people can get this information.

Intrusive?  For me my ID card is far better and far safer than any form of Medic-Alert.